Rainbow Falls Trail

#7 of 182 trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Rainbow Falls Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Cosby, Tennessee that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Abigail Tewmey (39)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I had wonderful time Hiking Rainbow Trails. Only problem we had was once we got to the top it started to rain so we slid back down. Trails were ok marked but coming down with as much as it had rain we did get off a little at the very end. Overall it is a must do! Want to go back next spring.

Greg McFarlin (1476)

16 Completed15 Reviews

Great trail, but unmarked. Usually this wouldn't be a problem on such a busy trail, but there were so many side trails it sometimes became confusing. Stick to the main trail and don't be tempted by the 'short-cuts'. Anyway, the falls were beautiful and worth the hike. Yes, it's all uphill to get there and downhill on the way back. A little bit of rocks to climb over at the falls to get closer for a view as well.

Kendra Blair (377)

6 Completed4 Reviews

If you're a little out of shape like me, the trail can be a little strenuous at times. It's a great trail, but I was a little disappointed in the falls. Make sure you give yourself a lot of time to get there & back. I stopped a lot & took pictures, so it took me over 6 hours to get there & back. If you're in shape, you should be able to do it quicker. There is a squirrel at the falls that loves company. I have a feeling he gets fed a lot. lol

Thomas Treadaway (82)

2 Completed2 Reviews

We had a great time. The trail was fairly easy to hike. If you're out of shape like me, I recommend starting early so you can take your time. When we got to the falls, a squirrel joined us for lunch. Can't wait to go back in the Spring time when there's more water coming over the falls.

Heather Acosta (87)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful hike, very challenging. Did it with my husband while carrying our toddler.

Craig F (505)

43 Completed20 Reviews

The trail up to the waterfall can be strenuous as it is pretty much up hill the whole way. The waterfall is cool since you can walk behind it after climbing up some rocks. When I was there, there was not much water coming over so it was not as impressive as I was expecting.

Christine Lindley (140)

6 Completed2 Reviews

Gorgeous hike! Very strenuous. Took us about 2.5 hrs to hike in and 1.45 min to come out. Falls were very nice to see. Not recommended for small children.

Keli Sanders (104)

7 Completed2 Reviews

Gorgeous!!! The hike to the falls was a bit stenious, buit worth it! Plan to spend some time at the falls. We stopped and had lunch! We loved this place!!!

Trent Smith (421)

16 Completed16 Reviews

Great hike. The beginning is like stepping back in time as you walk thru old growth forest. The falls are pretty cool too. I recommend going all the way up to the summit of Mt. LeConte where you will find a hike in/hike out lodge with cabins. Keep an eye out for black bears.

Brian Miller (743)

13 Completed7 Reviews

Beautiful trail with tons of wildlife all around. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Will be back this spring for sure!

Support