Rainbow Falls Trail

#7 of 184 trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Rainbow Falls Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Cosby, Tennessee that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Courtney Maynard (80)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail is awesome! Pretty steady uphill climb until you get to the falls. Beautiful waterfalls- you get to see 2 small falls and a huge one at the end. It is a pretty popular trail, so if you're looking for a little more seclusion, I would go early in the morning.

Beth Rodgers (150)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Amber Caicedo (61)

3 Completed3 Reviews

The trail was great! My favorite ever, lush vegetation, rocky, beautiful waterfalls. The app recorded all the way to the top then failed and erased all my data.
Took us 4 hours to reach the top of Mt Leconte (about 1.5 to reach Rainbow Falls). About 3.5 hrs to get back down. Absolutely beautiful. I'm not an experienced hiker but I'm in good shape.

Juan Caicedo (154)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Alicia Winter (36)

Tanya Giannotti (133)

6 Completed4 Reviews

Gorgeous views of waterfalls!

Christa Harmon (125)

Alex Hauck (157)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I have to say this is one of the harder trails in the park it is so far one of my favorites. Rocky and fairly steep it will give you a workout. I've taken it all the way to the summit back in June of 2013 and also to just the falls twice just this year.

Catherine Whiteside (2948)

43 Completed4 Reviews

Brian Miller (131)

56 Completed4 Reviews

Tough, relentlessly steady climb to the top of Mt LeConte and the LeConte Lodge. Beautiful hike, but know that the trail is quite rocky. I did this trail with my family including 10, 7, and 5 year old boys in about 5 hours. Without the kids I'm guessing an avid hiker in decent shape could finish in 3 - 3.5 hrs. We also had rain the last three miles, but not enough to turn the trail into a stream, though you can see how that could easily occur. A great trail overall, though, which we combined with Bullhead to make a loop for our downward hike.

Support