Short Springs State Natural Area Hike Trail

Short Springs State Natural Area Hike Trail is a 2.9 mile loop trail located near Tullahoma, Tennessee and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

2.9 miles Loop
Hide Map

Travis Fraim

very beautiful!

Daniel Kimes

1 Completed1 Reviews

Amazing waterfall, once you get to it!

Katy Copeland

2 Completed2 Reviews

Local (to me, of course), beautiful, and as easy or as difficult as you'd like to make it.

Heather Gray

8 Completed3 Reviews

This was a great hike. As the comments below suggest we took the left fork on the Machine Falls trail and were very happy that we did. The steps were a bit treacherous looking but there were rails put up in the worst spots so it was easily manageable. You have to hop across stones or trek through the water to actually get to the foot of machine falls - something that I was not aware of. Luckily there was a very nice group of locals who lead us there. We got a bit confused by the trail markings, but could have been out own lack of attention. This was a great hike. Will definitely be back to cover some of the other trails.

Kt McCallister

2 Completed2 Reviews

Machine Falls is SO amazing. The hike down the path to the fall is very beautiful, but once you actually get up to the fall, your breath will be taken away. Wish my friend and I had arrived earlier so that maybe we could have explored a bit more, but we did immediately see the biggest and prettiest waterfall, which is what we really wanted to check out anyway! Beautiful trail!!

Rosie Toledo

1 Completed1 Reviews

Love this trail .

Brandy Dishner

4 Completed4 Reviews

My friend and I arrived around 11:30am. There wasn't another soul in sight. We took off down the path toward Machine Falls on the Machine Falls loop and all was well until we came to the stairs - the stairs to hell or so it looked. The stairs were rocky, steep and dangerous - and also the only reason this area is getting 4/5 stars. They definitely need some work, we thought we were going to fall several times.

After the stairs of death, we came up to the bridge area and the creek bed to Machine Falls. A hop, skip and jump down the creek and you're at Machine Falls. We did get wet and we did have to walk through water but we are used to that. Machine Falls is BEAUTIFUL! You can climb on the falls, up to the caves, sit and enjoy the beauty, it is so pretty! The hike back (the remainder of Machine Falls Loop) wasn't too bad. There is a section with a steep incline but it didn't hurt too bad. Watch out for "trail bunnies" or you might get an eye full.

Too long; didn't read: Beautiful falls, nice hike, stairs of death, trail bunnies in the caves

Bill Good

13 Completed2 Reviews

My wife and I got there about 7:30 am and were able to beat the heat and the "crowd" of about 7 vehicles when we left about 10:15.

It was a great hike, with Busby Loop and Machine Falls. A big thank you to those advising go left at the trail head. We would not have wanted to finish going up that part of the trail. The only reason for the 4 stars is the disappointment of Adams Falls being dry. We would have taken the Wildflower Loop if we had known.

Dustin Cannon

7 Completed3 Reviews

This trail really surprised me. I had never heard of this area until recently. The trail is pretty steep going down into the gorge.

The falls are a must see! The stream is undoubtedly the clearest water I have ever seen! I seen no evidence of trash on the trail, a true under advertised gem!

Teresa Ward

26 Completed16 Reviews

Definitely one of my favorite hikes in Tennessee so far. It is beautiful and you see many falls with Machine Falls being amazing.