Short Springs State Natural Area Hike Trail

Tullahoma, TN

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Short Springs State Natural Area Hike Trail is a 2.9 mile loop trail located near Tullahoma, Tennessee and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Brandy Dishner (115)

4 Completed4 Reviews

My friend and I arrived around 11:30am. There wasn't another soul in sight. We took off down the path toward Machine Falls on the Machine Falls loop and all was well until we came to the stairs - the stairs to hell or so it looked. The stairs were rocky, steep and dangerous - and also the only reason this area is getting 4/5 stars. They definitely need some work, we thought we were going to fall several times.

After the stairs of death, we came up to the bridge area and the creek bed to Machine Falls. A hop, skip and jump down the creek and you're at Machine Falls. We did get wet and we did have to walk through water but we are used to that. Machine Falls is BEAUTIFUL! You can climb on the falls, up to the caves, sit and enjoy the beauty, it is so pretty! The hike back (the remainder of Machine Falls Loop) wasn't too bad. There is a section with a steep incline but it didn't hurt too bad. Watch out for "trail bunnies" or you might get an eye full.

Too long; didn't read: Beautiful falls, nice hike, stairs of death, trail bunnies in the caves

Bill Good (355)

13 Completed2 Reviews

My wife and I got there about 7:30 am and were able to beat the heat and the "crowd" of about 7 vehicles when we left about 10:15.

It was a great hike, with Busby Loop and Machine Falls. A big thank you to those advising go left at the trail head. We would not have wanted to finish going up that part of the trail. The only reason for the 4 stars is the disappointment of Adams Falls being dry. We would have taken the Wildflower Loop if we had known.

Dustin Cannon (160)

7 Completed3 Reviews

This trail really surprised me. I had never heard of this area until recently. The trail is pretty steep going down into the gorge.

The falls are a must see! The stream is undoubtedly the clearest water I have ever seen! I seen no evidence of trash on the trail, a true under advertised gem!

Teresa Ward (1009)

19 Completed10 Reviews

Definitely one of my favorite hikes in Tennessee so far. It is beautiful and you see many falls with Machine Falls being amazing.

Kendra McHenry (94)

14 Completed3 Reviews

Our family spends Family Fun Day Hiking & this week we took the Machine Falls & Busby Loop. We were all very hot but much enjoyed the wonderful cool change of temperature at the falls. The waterfall was absolutely beautiful & the water very cool & refreshing. The views were worth the hike.

Lisa Stanley (114)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Thoroughly enjoyed this little corner of nature. Machine Falls was well worth the hike and was not crowded on a Sunday afternoon. The views up and down the waterways with the sun shining through on the water, rocks, and greenery were out of a fairytale. We did not do all the loops because we had a 7 year old with us but he did great for the Busby and Machine Falls loop.

Tina Craig (671)

17 Completed14 Reviews

Machine Falls is a hidden gem! Bobo Creek was insane looking! The plates of rocks lining the small falls were stunning!

Steve Gipson (246)

5 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike today just alittle info for anyone that goes if you do all the trails in this area its 4.5 miles moderate areas mostly easy. If you decide to do all the trails start out on the blue blue trail to your left as you come in and come back out on the outside white trail.

Jessica Pesut (151)

23 Completed8 Reviews

One of the best trails in bang for the buck. Lots to see and probably the prettiest cascading waterfall aside from Burgess, but it's a lot less crowded. Quiet, peaceful, and a great day hike system

Kate Downey (98)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great place for pets. We went in the winter and it was lovely. We followed the white markers and saw a great waterfall. It took us about 50 mins to complete it. I would suggest taking a picnic to the waterfall