Turtletown Falls Trail

MODERATE
#9 of 100 trails in Cherokee National Forest
true
Turtletown Falls Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Farner, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking walking horses forest river waterfall
Hide Map

Linda Yost

1 Completed0 Reviews

I think it is one of the prettiest and most interesting hikes in the area. We were unsure if the trail looped. We took the trail closest to the creek/waterfalls and then continued on a trail back up the mountain. We hiked about 3 miles and turned around when we got to another fork in the road with a hiking sign. We were unsure which way to go. We are going to go again and take the wide trail to the right. Hopefully we will see the area where we turned around. Then we will know if a loop. Very scenic trail. Can't wait for the Mountain Laurels to be in bloom.

Steve McCullough

4 Completed0 Reviews

One of the best hikes my daughter and I had all of last year. Definitely a 1st of many.

Diane Olans

3 Completed0 Reviews

Saw both falls , hiked

Scott Peterson

2 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful!!!

Jeff Keen

19 Completed13 Reviews

Very nice hike along Turtletown Creek. While the falls and the creek are very scenic I would like to come back in winter when the leaves are off the trees to enjoy the vistas overlooking the Hiwassee River. Definitely worth the effort of finding this little diamond in the rough.

Michele Sutherland

1 Completed1 Reviews

Amazing water falls...very peaceful and very few other individuals on the trail.

kirstan howard

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great and easy hike - but like other reviewers said - hard to find, but many locales came to our aid! One bit of information is the house the road is directly across from is 1234 OLD Farner Road (versus Farner Road). We had the trail all to ourselves and it was Saturday - highly recommend!

Ross Janeiro

3 Completed2 Reviews

Great Trail, but Hard to Find!

The two roads that lead to this trail are NOT marked, and if they are, it isn't well. The trail head is at 35.160205, -84.339026, while the turn of for Old Farner Road (County Road 2317) is at 35.126498, -84.354099, and the turn-off for the trail head (NFSR 1166) is at 35.152256, -84.326480.

This is a great trail with a lot of ascents and descents, and great views of two waterfalls. Additionally you hear rushing water almost the entire way which adds to the peacefulness. We saw several other families who had older teenagers, but younger kids might have a tough time. The Nat Geo maps measure the trail at 3.8 miles (our GPS measured 4.0) with a difficulty level of moderate, which I think is more accurate than Alltrails.com assessment.

We will definitely hike this trail again in the future.

Amy Ferrell

7 Completed1 Reviews

This hike was amazing. A bit tricky to locate, but following other reviews, we were able to locate. The hike is fairly easy, just remember to go left at the first split. The trail becomes narrow after the split, but keep going until you see the stairs. You can climb the rocks and feel the falls. Beautiful!!

Lee Riddle

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome trail. The waterfalls are gorgeous. The water is very cold but I was able to get in knee deep. The rocks can be very slippery so be careful. Ride all the way to the end of the road (The one across from 1234 Farner Road) to find a gate where the trail begins.

Michael Curry

19 Completed16 Reviews

This is an overall great trail. It has a great warmup walk and gets very technical very quick about 0.6-0.8 miles into the hike. Make sure to take the footpath to the left when you get to a split. Look for the white trail marks on the trees to stay on course. BEWARE of snakes: A copperhead decided to threaten me by lunging from the high right side bank connected to the footpath about 0.25 miles into the it.

Tom Mudrak

53 Completed14 Reviews

Disclaimer: I only hiked to the first waterfall, going left at the fork on the trail. However, that is a nice waterfall, we went in January and there was snow and ice on the rocks and ground, so it made the falls very picturesque.

I plan on going back and doing the entire trail but it is a great place to take someone who doesn't hike much if you want to ease them into hiking :)

Bill Lefler

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail, beautiful even before getting to the falls. Lots of wonders all along the way to marvel at. It is a long hike around the loop - near 5 miles - and the upper path is definitely more strenuous. We went out the lower trail and came back the upper and it was a lot of uphill coming back.

Thanks to another reviewer for the direction hint. Put 1234 Farner Road into your gps and the forestry dirt road is directly across from it to the left. Drive in (quite far) and park at the turn-around at the base of the trail.

Bubba Poston

19 Completed3 Reviews

Really nice 4mi hike with 2 beautiful waterfalls. It is pretty hard to find, and there is no cell phone service up there for map use. The trailhead is at the end of an unmarked gravel road directly across the street from 1234 Farner Road. The first part of the trail (1/2 mi) is wide and easy, then the trail splits to start the loop. Choose a path (we went right, which takes you up the ridge and you get the waterfalls on the past part of the trip). The trail is well marked with "i" blazed on many trees along the way. One of my top 5 trails of all time!

Sharon Rayder

84 Completed35 Reviews

My daughter and I hiked this trail today, December the 27th, 2013. The road is kind of hard to find, I had to stop and ask for directions. Road 1166 is 2.8 miles up Farner off Highway 68. Farner Road is directly across from the post office. There is a house straight across from road 1166 (the address of the house is 1234 I believe).
The trail is an easy trail - not strenuous at all. It begins on what looks like an old logging road. The trail is marked with white painted blazes. On an ascent, the trail divides. The logging road continues up and straight. The path to the left is more narrow and begins to descend a little. The narrow path is the trail to take to see Turtletown Falls. It becomes narrow, but is an easy walk. It meets back up with the logging road and leads to the lower falls.
This trail is easy enough for anyone to hike. It took one hour each way.

grant ulrich

3 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail, great waterfalls. Couple words of advise - the trail is kind of tricky to find (no signs for it). If you are on farner road, the trail will be right before Newman road. Also, beware of yellow jackets by the first waterfall! There is a nest in one of the wood steps and my wife and i both paid the price of not seeing it. Otherwise, great trail.

Kalyn Massey

1 Completed1 Reviews

absolutely beautiful and worth thr effort to find the trail and hike ip!

Mike Harris

32 Completed2 Reviews

The two waterfalls are big and beautiful in the spring there is plenty if water. An excellent trail for waterfall photography. Excellent campsites on the water.

Greg Arp

4 Completed2 Reviews

Wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Hike is listed as difficult but we did not find it to strenuous or technical. The entire family hiked the trail and even the 7 year old did not complain about the condition of the trail.

Tanya Davenport

6 Completed1 Reviews

Nice trail. I do believe it would be the best in the fall when leaves have fallen. there would be scenic views on the way to the fall.