Virgin Falls Trail

#1 of 3 trails in Virgin Falls State Natural Area
Virgin Falls Trail is a 10 mile loop trail located near Sparta, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

10.0 miles Out & Back 1300 feet
Dog Friendly
camping hiking walking cave dogs dogs leash
Hide Map

Paul Belobraydic

3 Completed4 Reviews

One of my favorite hikes in Tennessee. Several backcountry campsites along the route. Def a good workout coming back from the falls!!

Grant Ramsey

1 Completed1 Reviews

I apologize for the previous review. My account was hacked by a disgruntled, and very hormonal, coworker. Christine. I haven't actually been to the Dallas but plan to go soon.

Jeff Whitlock

9 Completed11 Reviews

Vincent Valdez

3 Completed3 Reviews

Me and my friend did a one night backpacking trip on the Virgin Falls trail and absolutely loved it. There is a little store right before you get to the road leading to the trail that I recommend stopping in to if you need any last minute supplies or a map. This trail is not a beginners trail ESPECIALLY when it's wet, even with good hiking boots it's very easy to slip on the roots, stones and mud on this trail. The hike on the way back is the hardest but if your moderately in shape you can handle it, I would also recommend a trekking pole or two and if your not in shape don't do this trail. There is no cell reception. I've read about some people getting lost on this trail but as long as you pay attention to the trail markers you'll be fine. This trail had PLENTY of amazing sights to see and experience and I highly recommend paying a visit to Sheep's cave . This trail is an A + in my book.

Tyler James

4 Completed2 Reviews

This is a beautiful hike, and I would highly recommend it. Based on the comments I've seen, I thought it would be much busier on a Saturday. We only saw one couple on the way down, one guy camping near Virgin Falls, and then maybe 10 more people on the way back up. The weather forecast did not look very good early in the morning, so maybe that kept some people away, even though the bad weather never showed up. I also anticipated the uphill hike on the way back would be much worse than it was. There were really only a couple short steep climbs. Maybe it just seemed easy because I was expecting much worse. You should still be prepared with plenty of water, and by taking your time you'll be fine. Don't let the reviews scare you away.

Michael Smith Bba Cidt

2 Completed2 Reviews

A unique waterfall haven, definitely a harder than normal hike but so worth it. Loved it!!!!

Brandon M.

Been out here multiple times and I'm always bringing friends that are visiting. Great hike and great camping. Can be crowded at times leaving you scrambling for a campsite.

Jackie Bogues

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike! We walked about thirteen miles round trip which took about 7 hours! The first waterfall had no water a lot of it was dried up from the long hot summer! The second two were beautiful! Don't plan on doing any swimming though! The tail back is a bit rough I suggest lots of water and hiking experience!!

Emily Gall

15 Completed1 Reviews

Arrived late Sunday afternoon, just as most of the day-hikers were clearing out, camped at the second waterfall. So amazing, this is a pretty busy trail, so deciding to not go on a weekend is really going to free it up for you. Had the whole place to ourselves to check out Virgin Falls early Monday morning when we woke up, so worth the trek! There were a lot of hikers heading out when we were heading in Sunday and you could tell the trail ended up being a lot more difficult than they were expecting. Also, managed to pick up an entire bag of other people's trash during our time on the trail, not so cool.

Misti Bink

18 Completed4 Reviews

I love this hike! I just did this one again in July and AMAZING. TONS OF WATER so falls are so pretty. There are so many falls to see from small to large and great swimming holes/areas. This is NOT an easy trail and expect 7-8 hours and more if you want to stop and enjoy the area. It seem fairly easy on the way to the main fall because of all to views but on the way back it is mostly up hill. Trust me take a flash light just in case it gets dark on you before you get back. You have to find the markers to get out or just stay.