Virgin Falls Trail

#1 of 3 trails in Virgin Falls State Natural Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Virgin Falls Trail is a 10 mile loop trail located near Sparta, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ellen Schultz (139)

Teresa Ward (511)

10 Completed4 Reviews

Nice hike but some difficult spots. The length is tough if your not prepared.

Vanessa Rabito (235)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Love this trail. My husband and I stayed one night at top of virgin falls, swam in the river the next morning before heading back out. We'll definitely be back to spend a few nights there. Less one star because of the litter scattered here and there. Please pack out your trash!

Michael Baasch (41)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail with varying terrain. Fun cave under a waterfall to explore, and sleep on its sand floor.

Kevin Campbell (67)

2 Completed1 Reviews

It was a great hike. Lots to see love all the different falls and pools of water along the creek. Fun caves to explore also.

Derrick Lawson (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Chris Ortiz (79)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Alys Moore (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Really enjoyable overnight hike. As many others have said, the hike is pretty easy getting to the falls, but the last 2-3 miles are more challenging. Don't skip the overlook trail as the view is great and the campsites there seemed to be the best of all the available sites. Do take the overlook trail at the beginning of the hike to avoid extra uphill during the return trip. Sheep cave is really worth a stop, as well. Wish we'd had more time to spend at the falls. We'll be back!

Rayven Collins (236)

7 Completed3 Reviews

This is the most fun I've ever had hiking. If you go the whole way from the Virgin Falls parking lot to Caney Fork River it's a 15 mile roundtrip. The way there is fairly easy, its the coming back that will kill ya. The trail is just breathtaking in spots along the river. I love the cable part and trust me when it has rained really heavily you need that cable to get across. Virgin Falls is breathtaking. There are tons of campsites and I did spend one night there and it was amazing. The overlook is worth the mile out of the way. First time, I'd check it out. I've yet to explore the cave but I will next time I go. If you go as far as caney fork river there is a rope you can swing and jump for the summer time, cant wait to try that out. Be smart and bring a friend. I have done this a few times alone but it can be dangerous. LOTS OF WATER. By myself I go through about a 6 pack of water. Going back is pretty difficult, it is uphill most of the way. Hardest part is from Big Laurel Falls and going up. Once you see the little sign for the Overlook trail.. its like... whew! All easy breezy from there. It's quite the adventure and I recommend this hike for anyone. :)

Adam Perry (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have hiked this trail a couple of times. It is easily one of my favorites. The hike down into the gorge is beautiful and very easy. Just be careful if it has rained recently. Some areas can get a little slick. The caves are awesome as well as the falls. There are plenty of campsites at the falls (top and bottom) as well as some down by the river. The hike out is rated as strenuous but just take your time and it will be fine. You will enjoy this hike I promise.

Support