Virgin Falls Trail

#1 of 3 trails in Virgin Falls State Natural Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Virgin Falls Trail is a 10 mile loop trail located near Sparta, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Alys Moore (36)

1 Completed0 Reviews

Really enjoyable overnight hike. As many others have said, the hike is pretty easy getting to the falls, but the last 2-3 miles are more challenging. Don't skip the overlook trail as the view is great and the campsites there seemed to be the best of all the available sites. Do take the overlook trail at the beginning of the hike to avoid extra uphill during the return trip. Sheep cave is really worth a stop, as well. Wish we'd had more time to spend at the falls. We'll be back!

Rayven Collins (236)

7 Completed3 Reviews

This is the most fun I've ever had hiking. If you go the whole way from the Virgin Falls parking lot to Caney Fork River it's a 15 mile roundtrip. The way there is fairly easy, its the coming back that will kill ya. The trail is just breathtaking in spots along the river. I love the cable part and trust me when it has rained really heavily you need that cable to get across. Virgin Falls is breathtaking. There are tons of campsites and I did spend one night there and it was amazing. The overlook is worth the mile out of the way. First time, I'd check it out. I've yet to explore the cave but I will next time I go. If you go as far as caney fork river there is a rope you can swing and jump for the summer time, cant wait to try that out. Be smart and bring a friend. I have done this a few times alone but it can be dangerous. LOTS OF WATER. By myself I go through about a 6 pack of water. Going back is pretty difficult, it is uphill most of the way. Hardest part is from Big Laurel Falls and going up. Once you see the little sign for the Overlook trail.. its like... whew! All easy breezy from there. It's quite the adventure and I recommend this hike for anyone. :)

Adam Perry (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have hiked this trail a couple of times. It is easily one of my favorites. The hike down into the gorge is beautiful and very easy. Just be careful if it has rained recently. Some areas can get a little slick. The caves are awesome as well as the falls. There are plenty of campsites at the falls (top and bottom) as well as some down by the river. The hike out is rated as strenuous but just take your time and it will be fine. You will enjoy this hike I promise.

Lance McCormick (248)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Solo over night trip during the week. Only saw 4 people going in. Beautiful early spring hike and camp. Down hill going in...uphill coming out. Plenty of water sources.

Adam Anghilante (531)

9 Completed8 Reviews

This is a great hike! Easily one of my favs. The hike into Virgin Falls goes by so fast and you don't notice the distance because your eyes are constantly looking at some of the most beautiful views and waterfalls. The extra distance hiking the spur to the overlook is 100% worth it. The hike back to the parking lot your legs will def start feeling a little burn. Most of the hike in is down hill, which means guess which way back is? Highly recommended. Take it easy on the way in and way back won't be that bad. Be prepared to stop and spend lots of time at the waterfalls, stunning. ENJOY!

Mellissa Hayden (668)

20 Completed16 Reviews

Great hike. Not a ton of "mountain views" but plenty of waterfalls and rock formations to make every rocky mile worth it.

Bill DeForest (40)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Excellent Hike! As advertised.... Will be back!

Lisa R. (199)

Definitely top 10 hike. Locals commented on the fact there was more water than normal which made this even more extraordinary! Allow time to enjoy the beauty of the falls.

G Landen (257)

10 Completed5 Reviews

I backpacked this amazing place twice and loved it!!! This is one of the most beautiful falls around this area. The water comes out of a cave and goes back into a cave. The Sheeps cave is awesome. If you are ever near this beautiful place you need to try it!!

Glenn Crowell (61)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My wife and I hiked this trail a few days ago and we enjoyed every step. Virgin Falls and Big Laurel Falls were magnificent. The water flow was great this time of year. Overlook Trail and Sheep Cave are a must. Even though they make the hike a little longer, they are well worth the trip. Other hikers in the past have stated it is all up hill on the way back. That is not true. Even though there are several up hill grades, if you are in any kind of physical shape, you should not have a problem. Just enjoy one of God's many beautiful creations.

Support