Big Cedar Wilderness Trail

MODERATE
Dallas, TX
true
Big Cedar Wilderness Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dallas, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly birding hiking mountain biking nature trips trail running walking forest views wild flowers old growth rocky
Hide Map

Land Owner: Mountain Creek Church Hours: Dawn till Dusk. Property access gates at the bottom of the hill will be closed and locked sometime after dark. Night rides must be approved by trail steward.

Kevin Worrell

2 Completed0 Reviews

Great fun!

Julien Goolien

2 Completed0 Reviews

Lisa Fernandez

1 Completed0 Reviews

Great trails, lots to see, and plenty of birds

Bethany Swift

Amber F.

This is a great trail for hiking and dog walking. I went around it 3 times. Be careful when brining a dog. A cyclist stopped me and showed me a photo he'd taken of large rattle snake....creepy! Aside from that, I really got a good workout. Lots of twists, turns and inclines Some areas are shaded others are not so if hiking during hot summer months I recommend going early in the morning to beat the heat. Sunday's park doesn't open until 1pm as it's connected to prayer mountain.

Julie Parks

66 Completed1 Reviews

Julie Parks

66 Completed1 Reviews

Cyndi Proctor

1 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful! Note that it opens at 1:00pm on Sunday's bc of the church and is closed on Mondays.

Jared O'Brien

Bit of everything

Wesley Trammel

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great. Dense forest and curving trails.

Trina A.

The trails are amazing! Beautiful and vast. Easy to get lost if you switch from trail to trail but that is what makes it so fun. Being that it is on church property, you will run in to a few scriptures which, for me, were quite inspiring. My little boy went with and he led the way joyfully. Definitely a great place to keep the family from getting bored with the different types of terrain, altitude, and views. The only issue I noticed was the tendency for folks to throw their trash on the ground. Very disappointing to see on such well-maintained trails in one of the very few places left that are undeveloped in the area. So please be responsible and don't litter! We will for sure be going again and again.

Melanie Heid

Pope M.

Thanks to George and Ben for letting me hang with them on the ranger loop. My first time here and it was a killer ride. Lots of technical stuff, fast downhills and lung busting hills. I'll be back soon.

Vanessa McKnight

42 Completed49 Reviews

Really enjoyed the few miles of trail I had time for today. I had forgotten that we had a big storm blow thru the night before, the trail had a nice spongy feel to it without mud sticking to my shoes. It was difficult for me to determine if the downed trees and branches were from the previous days storm or had been that way for a while. The portion of trail I was on was completely barricaded by a large tree near where it crosses the drive up to the church.

Steve D.

This is great place to mountain bike! Trails to suit every riding level. Amazing amount of work done create a great riding experience. 20+ miles of trail and more coming. Great experience definitely going back and would recommend this trail to ANY mountain biker. Great job DORBA!

Grant Myers

28 Completed29 Reviews

I thought it was a great hike for Dallas. Very well groomed and it's very easy. My dogs and I just did the Ranger loop though. We will go back and do some of the other trails that are off the Ranger loop.

Tom Passmore

2 Completed2 Reviews

This is a big place with multi trails cut and rehab'd for bikers. I took my dogs here and its very friendly but bikers go 90 mph. week days are best for hikers. i prob won't return. not scenic for a repeat. But its a good trial for first time.

Anina Imhof

18 Completed8 Reviews

A little tricky to find; trails start at a parking lot at the back of Mountain Creek Church. Hiking here was very nice, especially on the SOS trail. It's one of the few places in the north Texas area where you can get some elevation change. Trails seemed to be mainly used for mountain bikers, which were very courteous and no problem to share the trails with.

Sarah Padgett

4 Completed4 Reviews

We took the white "Ranger" or "main loop" and it was about 5.5 miles from car back to car. The trail was well maintained, lots of bikers on Sunday afternoon but overall a great hike. Not as hilly as I had expected but the other trails may be from the look of it. Will be going back!

Bruce Sewer

12 Completed2 Reviews

great trail, lot's of climbing.