Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop

Denton, TX

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop is a 3.6 mile loop trail located near Denton, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for birding, nature trips, trail running & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Amy Berta (148)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Love this trail. Different scenic views of a creek, woodland areas, and field. Easy to hike with your four legged friend too. Safe and very enjoyable. Easy Loop design so you really can't get lost.

Lauren J. (71)

This place is wonderful! There are so many trails! I went with a friend of mine and our dogs and we were able to let them off leash without worrying about to many people passing us. The dogs enjoyed going down to the creek and swimming. When we were leaving we actually met two of the workers and they were super friendly and loved having us and our dogs there. I will definitely be using this trail a lot!

Ashley Armstrong (59)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Very fun trail! Had a lot of side trails (loops) that went down to the river which was very nice to see. Overall a very easy walk, did not run into one person during our hike. There are also nice benches and tables throughout the trail to sit and take a break or have lunch

Anina Imhof (284)

18 Completed8 Reviews

Recommend taking a trail map, so you don't get lost!

Anina Imhof (284)

18 Completed8 Reviews

My family has enjoyed hiking at Clear Creek for the past 8 years. The trails are great and take you through forest, grassland areas, and wetland areas around the small lake. (sometimes the lake is completely dried up in the summer) In the past several years the visitor center has been open occasionally for educational workshops, and for elementary school classes and some structural improvements have been made, including bridges and benches, better signs, and a wildlife rainwater station.

Craig Ricks (143)

14 Completed3 Reviews

This is about as good of a trail you will find in this part of Texas. I brought my dog here, and he definitely had a great time. It was a bit muddy in places, so bring a towel unless you want your car to get dirty. A great trail for wildlife: we saw about 10 armadillos, an opossum, several avian species, and shockingly a few wild pigs. Would definitely come back if I lived here.

madison bolduc (86)

1 Completed1 Reviews

my 4th grade class went here for a field trip today and it was okay. we saw a baby green snake but that is it. we kind of got bored because all wed did was walk around. If you go with a small group of people then you might see a little bit more wildlife. they have poison ivy and some weird yellow plants that look like tomatoes but they are not so be carful. You might love it but might hate clear creek. It is a great place to fish and walk a dog or even ride a horse but not for field trips. I would rather spend my time and money on a zoo or aquarium even a museum would be a little better take my advice and don't waste you time and money here.

DAVID ELKINS (91)

7 Completed1 Reviews

I have completed the following trails at Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center: Quarry Trail, Prairie Trail, Weather Box Trail, Yucca Trail, Cottonwood Trail, Fisherman's Trail, Wetlands Trail, Duck Trail, Rookery Trail.

I have visited this place 3 times, and I have never encountered more than one other hiking group on the trail. It is a good place to get some fresh air, and it is not too far from civilization.

Today I saw 2 snakes, 2 toads, many turtles and fish, cattle egrets, turkey vultures, red-shouldered hawks. There was widespread evidence of recent armadillo and beaver activity (pawprints, freshly felled trees, etc.) Most surprising was a herd of sheep consisting of 1 ram and 7 ewes! They appeared to be mouflon (Ovis aries orientalis) sheep, although they ran away before I could snap a photograph. If so then they would almost certainly have to be feral animals that have escaped from a local ranch.

Support