Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop

Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop is a 3.6 mile loop trail located near Denton, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for birding, nature trips, trail running & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

3.6 miles Loop 69 feet
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
birding nature trips trail running bugs dogs lake
Hide Map

Clear Creek is a wonderful natural area with about 4 total miles of trail, located northeast of Denton, Texas. It's a lowland preserve that's got a great diversity of plantlife and birds. It is located in the Lake Lewisville upper floodplain, so the trails can get very muddy after a rain and it is best to visit during a dry week.
Trails are sometimes well managed and other times totally overgrown.

Steven Yackel

25 Completed2 Reviews

I was not a huge fan of this hike. We drove up here for a nice family hike. We felt that the trails were poorly marked and that we were guessing on our location from our land navigation skills.

While there is a body of water here you do not get to see it for much of the hike. I was just glad my car was where we parked it and unharmed when we were done with the hike.

Amanda Lyons

1 Completed1 Reviews

I showed up to this trail excited to see what it had to offer and it was closed. Big disappointment.

Jodi Nuesse

1 Completed1 Reviews

Clear Creek is a wonderful place to get close to nature. But please be careful of ticks. The ticks a clear creek have Lyme's Disease (including associated co-infections. You have two weeks to start antibiotics after a tick bite or you will have it for life. I took my dog for a walk at clear creek and both got Lyme's disease. The goverment just deamed me 100% disabled. I have been working hard for thw last 3 yrs to get well. Please be so very careful of tick bites.

Myriah Roberts

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great easy trail. There's a lot to look at in a relatively small area: wetlands, river, woods, and a field. It's very quiet and feels secluded - and it doesn't seem to be too popular; we only ran into four or five other people while we were there. There are benches scattered throughout the trail if you get tired - or if you just want to sit and watch the birds. We'll definitely be back.

Amy Berta

3 Completed1 Reviews

Love this trail. Different scenic views of a creek, woodland areas, and field. Easy to hike with your four legged friend too. Safe and very enjoyable. Easy Loop design so you really can't get lost.

Lauren J.

This place is wonderful! There are so many trails! I went with a friend of mine and our dogs and we were able to let them off leash without worrying about to many people passing us. The dogs enjoyed going down to the creek and swimming. When we were leaving we actually met two of the workers and they were super friendly and loved having us and our dogs there. I will definitely be using this trail a lot!

Ashley Armstrong

2 Completed2 Reviews

Very fun trail! Had a lot of side trails (loops) that went down to the river which was very nice to see. Overall a very easy walk, did not run into one person during our hike. There are also nice benches and tables throughout the trail to sit and take a break or have lunch

Anina Imhof

18 Completed8 Reviews

Recommend taking a trail map, so you don't get lost!

Anina Imhof

18 Completed8 Reviews

My family has enjoyed hiking at Clear Creek for the past 8 years. The trails are great and take you through forest, grassland areas, and wetland areas around the small lake. (sometimes the lake is completely dried up in the summer) In the past several years the visitor center has been open occasionally for educational workshops, and for elementary school classes and some structural improvements have been made, including bridges and benches, better signs, and a wildlife rainwater station.

Craig R.

This is about as good of a trail you will find in this part of Texas. I brought my dog here, and he definitely had a great time. It was a bit muddy in places, so bring a towel unless you want your car to get dirty. A great trail for wildlife: we saw about 10 armadillos, an opossum, several avian species, and shockingly a few wild pigs. Would definitely come back if I lived here.