Cross Timbers Hiking Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Cedar Bayou Publice Use Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cross Timbers Hiking Trail is a 14 mile point-to-point trail located near Gordonville, Texas. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ann-Marie Smith (229)

8 Completed4 Reviews

This trail is listed on All Trails as only 6.3 miles, the trail is much longer than that. From Juniper Point to around the 12.5 mile mark the trail is well maintained and clearly marked. We’ve been out here a couple of times, and the hiking is GREAT, there are numerous places to tent and hammock camp. You can pay for parking at Cedar Bayou Marina at only $5.00 per day, or you can park for free at Juniper Point. In May we saw 2 bald eagles and numerous geese and goslings. After the 12.5 mark the trail is poorly maintained and poorly marked, we got lost twice and ended up on a trail that was obviously a trail from YEARS ago that still had markers but no trail left. The negative being said, we’ve hiked the whole thing (except where we lost the trail) and would definitely go back again and again.

Brian Nelson (129)

5 Completed2 Reviews

Excellent hike-in camping along the shores of Lake Texoma. We set out from the Cedar Bayou Marina. There's an office there in the parking lot that opens at 9:00 a.m., but if you get there earlier than that, you can call the number on the sign and the guy will come and meet you. He lives on the property apparently. Really nice guy. They offer protected parking for $5 and its worth it given the areas relatively remote location. Photocopied maps available at the office, along with sparse supplies.

The water level was down, way down (by about nine feet), when we went on March 14th-16th, 2014. Even though it was a Spring Break weekend, we weren't really bothered with a lot of trail traffic. In fact, we never passed anyone on the trail. It wasn't until after we made camp that we ran into a troop of boy scouts.

We planned on making camp at the famed "5 Mile Camp", but it was occupied. Before you get to 5 Mile Camp, within site of it on the eastern side of the same inlet, you will find what I'm calling 4 and 3/4 Mile Camp. It's a great camp with plenty of protection from the sun and wind coming from a stand of Juniper. (If you climb to the top of the hill, just above the camp, you'll find another nameless camp with amazing views. There was little to break up the wind though, so we stayed low and in the trees.)

It took a little over two hours to make it to camp, but my buddy and I brought our two younger daughters along. It was very windy and raining the last day, so we chose to take the lake shore back. It was a little silty at times, but we made it back in an hour and a half. While the water is low, the lake shore is the way to go. Amazing scenery. Personally, I wouldn't pass up the trail. It's beautiful and challenging, but a return trip along the lake is equally pleasing.

(See photos in the gallery of my blog.)

Bruce Sales (174)

8 Completed5 Reviews

Great trail and close to Dallas. Lots of steep climbs and descents. Great areas to set up camp through out the trail. The lake is very low and we didn't come across any creeks, so pack water unless you plan to boil lake water.

Michael Lott (127)

4 Completed3 Reviews

My wife and I hiked a portion of the trail recently. The trail provides some tough hiking with some steep rocky slopes. The scenery is great as the trail overlooks Lake Texoma.

Patrick O'Connor (318)

6 Completed6 Reviews

I met up with a group here and had a great time together, we hiked from the marina to the eagles roost and then back. It's always nice to be pleasantly surprised!

Support