Guadalupe Peak - Texas Highpoint

#1 of 21 trails in Guadalupe Mountains National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Guadalupe Peak - Texas Highpoint is a 8.4 mile out and back trail located near Salt Flat, Texas that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jeffrey Sanchez (224)

9 Completed9 Reviews

This for me is the best hike I've done in Texas so far... amazing views, especially near the top looking down on the back side of El Capitan. I think it took me a little over 5 hours roundtrip. As people say, the first mile or so is probably the worst, so it's nice to get that over with in the beginning. On the hike I passed the same trail runner several times - he was on his third ascent (for the day) when I was partway down! Nice fairly big summit area for a long lunch.

Isaiah Courtad (303)

15 Completed13 Reviews

Sean Watson (87)

7 Completed1 Reviews

Completed the hike on 3/14/2015. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. It is a strenuous hike. The first mile is the most difficult. If you burn your legs out on this first half of the trail, the rest of the hike will be a thigh burner. Over all the views are spectacular.

Nicole Rogers Wiebe (139)

5 Completed2 Reviews

Sen Subramaniam (144)

26 Completed4 Reviews

Very good hike. The first 45 minutes is the most strenuous as it is steep but afterwards it becomes moderate. Maintaining a slow but steady pace helps. The trail is rocky but well formed so there won't be issues in following it. Good hiking shoes recommended along with a good wind breaker

David G (354)

10 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome Hike, I would've loved to camp over night at the primitive campground on the way to the peak, but I didn't have time. Also, it was high, coldish and windy, so I couldn't like my victory cigar with my crap lighter, make sure to bring good windproof matches if you have the same bad habit :)

Matt Fowler (660)

23 Completed7 Reviews

Great hike. Friendly rangers. Spent the night in quiet solitude. The view at sunset of a shadow few see was worth it.

Teresa Ross (514)

19 Completed18 Reviews

I was lucky enough to get to hike this trail with one of my favorite people, my son! We got a fairly early start and enjoyed the cool of the morning. It is steep but if you take it easy, it doesn't seem too bad. It's an uncrowded trail so there is no problem holding up other people if you do take it slow. There is one spot close to the top that is a bit narrow and will make you hold your breath as you step delicately around the outcropping but other than that, I wouldn't consider it difficult. The view from the top should be great if there isn't too much haze. Coming down is a breeze and doesn't take very long at all. Finish off with lunch in Carlsbad! A great day is waiting for you along this trail. Can't wait to go back and try some of the other trails.

Mark Mansfield (317)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great trail... fairly strenuous but manageable if you pace yourself and take some breaks. Take lots of water. Have patience as some stretches are pretty constant elevation gain but other sections are not so difficult. The hike is very rewarding and the view at the top is spectacular. My favorite thing about this National Park is that it is isolated and not so crowded. There were a number of trail goers on this particular hike, but the Park is 60mi from either Carlsbad or Van Horn, TX... not a Park with hotels and shops around at all. I did not realize dogs were not allowed, but I wouldn't bring one even if they were... the trail is too rocky and would be horrible for your dogs paws.

Tyler McCormick (39)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Great Trail. Although steep at the beginning and somewhat gravelly, it has amazing views and the campground is set far enough back that one will not hear the sounds of people talking as they make the trip. The campground is small, but has amazing views. The hike from the campground is a short one, and it tends to be best to camp out and then make the hike so you can see the summit in the morning and still make it down in the morning when it is still cool.

Support