Guadalupe Peak - Texas Highpoint

#1 of 21 trails in Guadalupe Mountains National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Guadalupe Peak - Texas Highpoint is a 8.4 mile out and back trail located near Salt Flat, Texas that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Tom Landry (86)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Loved this hike. Windy as all get out, but some Beautiful views.

Alicia Toombs (117)

2 Completed2 Reviews

My partner and I backpacked this trail over 3 days and LOVED it. We hiked to the backcountry campground on Friday and set up. On Saturday we hiked the rest of the way to the top and spent a few hours hanging out on top (taking pictures, having lunch, signing the log, etc). Saturday afternoon/evening we hung out at camp, looked for wildlife on the nearby mountains with small binoculars, and got some much needed R&R. Sunday we hiked out early and headed to nearby Carlsbad Caverns (highly recommend).

It is really important that you carry plenty of water, sun screen (the trail has little shade) and are in pretty decent shape. Also, the wind was fierce! It often is so you may want to take a wind jacket. Even on Memorial Day weekend the wind made it seem chilly. BTW, the views are spectacular throughout!!

Brandon Cary (494)

3 Completed3 Reviews

This is definitely one of the more difficult trails in the Guadalupe National Forest. Lots of switchbacks and narrow, rocky trail on this but it is worth the effort.The view is absolutely stellar from the top. I recommend this trail for people who are in relatively decent shape. Bring lots of water and/or start early to beat that Texas sun!

Dan P. (213)

8 Completed6 Reviews

Absolutely Beautiful and well worth the effort. I started up the mountain around 5am (headlamp combined with a nearly full moon!) and was able to watch the sunrise from up on high! I definitely recommend doing the same!

Claudia Phillips (253)

4 Completed3 Reviews

I've been wanting to do this hike for a couple of years but no one has been brave enough to go with me and I really didn't want to go alone. finally completed this hike with my BF. we had great time! the first part of the hike is the worst. very steep but after that it's not bad at all. just pace yourself and wear good shoes, it's pretty rocky. take a sweat shirt it gets cold and windy at the to. beautiful views and def worth the challenge. we're going back!

Claudia Phillips (253)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Jeffrey Sanchez (224)

9 Completed9 Reviews

This for me is the best hike I've done in Texas so far... amazing views, especially near the top looking down on the back side of El Capitan. I think it took me a little over 5 hours roundtrip. As people say, the first mile or so is probably the worst, so it's nice to get that over with in the beginning. On the hike I passed the same trail runner several times - he was on his third ascent (for the day) when I was partway down! Nice fairly big summit area for a long lunch.

Isaiah Courtad (313)

25 Completed13 Reviews

Sean Watson (177)

10 Completed1 Reviews

Completed the hike on 3/14/2015. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. It is a strenuous hike. The first mile is the most difficult. If you burn your legs out on this first half of the trail, the rest of the hike will be a thigh burner. Over all the views are spectacular.

Nicole Rogers Wiebe (344)

10 Completed2 Reviews