Knob Hills Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 1 trails in North Shore Park
true
Knob Hills Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roanoke, TX that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

birding fishing hiking mountain biking nature trips trail running walking beach forest lake river views wild flowers wildlife blowdown bridge out bugs over grown rocky
Hide Map

Nathan Crosby

2 Completed0 Reviews

I tried to go run the trail today (3/26/16) and it is still closed. Some fishermen told me the lake is so high that it goes over the trail. Until the lake goes down, the trail won't be open, unfortunately.

Austin Wilson

9 Completed0 Reviews

Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like currently? 3/20/16

Hannah Gregory

1 Completed1 Reviews

As of 1/12/16 the trail is still closed due to mud.

Christina I

2 Completed2 Reviews

Currently closed due to recent flooding. Doesn't look like it'll open anytime soon

Shannon Guerrero

1 Completed1 Reviews

Trail is now open again as of last week.

David Jared

7 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great trail, but please remember that the trail is currently closed to all traffic due to flooding. Using it now will damage it further. Trail work will begin sometime in the fall.

Jessica Kreais

4 Completed2 Reviews

I loved the beautiful wildflowers. The trail did not have much traffic, which is a great relief considering how most of the trails around here are right the opposite. There were a few hills. I would say this is a great hike for any beginner. Make sure you pack plenty of water and bug spray!

Chris Schell

2 Completed2 Reviews

We use this trail a lot. It's nice but the mountain bikers are all over the trail

Cara Diaconoff

5 Completed1 Reviews

Even though road traffic is audible, it still feels like getting away. I liked the riverbank trail and the relative lack of other people.

Derek Jett

41 Completed30 Reviews

From 377 I ran out 3 and back. Great trail. Well marked. Some changes in terrain and scenery. Not too crowded. I saw about 6 people in an hour. Great views of river. Nice surface for running.

Austin Deras

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great trail for all skill levels! It takes me about 50 min to complete the entire 10 miles! WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES AND OTHER RIDERS due to two way traffic! (trail is not labeled well you may get turned around if your new)

Robert Dodge

17 Completed6 Reviews

I liked this trail for the speed you get for most of the trail. The scenery varies from wooded area to open and slight hills! I had a good time on this trail but IMO there are much better options. I DO NOT like the two way traffic as I almost hit another biker head on around a blind corner. Be careful and loose the earbuds. I prefer single track. Not very well marked, I took a path and ended up on a roadway, used GPS to get back on track.

Steve D.

I am new to the DFW area and have mountain biked several trails around the metroplex. Knob hills is one of my favorites. Offers a good workout in the beginning and end on the singletrack a long flat in the middle lets you open it up a little.The trail is well maintained and a new section opened up a few days ago. The new area offers a few drops and climbs and a lot of turns definitely added some fun to the trail. Will continue to use this trail as it is not real crowded(yet). Good for beginners and intermediate riders.

Pierre-Alexander Khordoc

12 Completed11 Reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed this trail due to the speed I was able to catch. be careful if mapping from the dorba website as it will take you to a different entrance.

I completed the 14 miles in 1.5 hours and stopped about 3 times.

Do be careful as several passages are 2 way and if you're the type to listen to music with both earphones you may not hear the other bikers coming.

much further out in comparison to northshore and horseshoe but worth the drive.

C R.

Out and back trail for bikes. Both ends of trail have some good hills rocks roots etc. The middle section is flat. Not as challenging as northshore but much less crowded.

Dakota Stonebrook

5 Completed5 Reviews

This trail is great in the beginning, but it gets boring when you reach the flat section.

Brandee Thompson

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail for a couple who hasn't hiked in a couple years! We liked it!

Evan Stewart

5 Completed6 Reviews

Good trail. There are sections for beginners and tougher sections. It's not really technical in the sense of tight turns and crazy hill drops or anything, but some paths are pretty rocky and hard to navigate. LOTS OF SNAKES!! The trail takes you through many cool scenery experiences, from a forest to riding the rim along a Texas creek. Definitely a great trail for beginner since there is pretty much everything you'll need to train on. Good outing!

Austin Little

6 Completed6 Reviews

Not a huge fan of this trail. But, it is good for what it is, which is either a running trail or a beginner MTB trail, in my opinion. My friend and I ride North Shore (in Flower Mound) a lot, and decided to go here just to mix it up. We were both pretty disappointed. I guess we simply had false expectations. However, like I said, if you are a runner or a beginner mountain biker, this is a good trail for you. It is pretty well marked, but not very well groomed. Anyway, once you get past the "beginner" stage on your bike, head to North Shore in Flower Mound. It's not far away at all and will give you so many more options.

Karen Kaiser

4 Completed3 Reviews

I did a little over 5 miles on this trail today (8/18/13). It was busier than I expected based on what I'd read about it, but not so busy that it was problematic. The first mile or so out is through a wooded area, with lots of ups and downs (my trekking poles came in handy!), then the trail flattens and gets sunny. Both the guidebook I have and the alltrails map indicate a side trail that leads to the water, but I couldn't find it. The final mile back to the trailhead is wonderful, hilly with interesting views. I didn't see any wildlife other than a squirrel and a cardinal. I almost got a great pic of a butterfly, but a mountain biker showed up at just the wrong moment! All in all, I like this trail, but it's a 20 mile drive from my house, so probably not one I will frequent.