Purgatory Creek Natural Area

The 463-acre Purgatory Creek Natural Area is within the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone, is home to Purgatory Creek, and includes upland meadows, canyon bluffs of 40 feet or more, dense juniper thickets, champion oaks, and a flood control dam.

9.07 miles Out & Back
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
birding hiking mountain biking dogs leash forest kids
Hide Map

From downtown San Marcos, take W Hopkins St. to N Bishop St. Turn west (uphill) on Bishop and left on Prospect St. Go 2.5 blocks to dead end. Park on street near kiosk to your right. Parking is limited, so consider carpooling, walking, or biking; a bike rack is available.

Robert Aguirre

6 Completed4 Reviews

1 Completed3 Reviews

This morning I am extremely happy that I was able to photograph deer during my hike at Purgatory Creek. Then i found out a stone, which had a fossil part in it.

1 Completed3 Reviews

Today sharp 7am in the morning I started my hike at the bottom of the Purgatory Creek. I took my way to Beatrice hike. This was a unique as this trek mostly it follows the way of the stream. To day I observed a small snake which was around one and half foot, with brown and black straps on its body. I also made some photographs of birds and flowers and enjoyed a beautiful sunrise among the trees & full of nature. It was a great blessing to enjoy the nature on this fine morning.

1 Completed3 Reviews

I so much enjoyed my walked right this morning at 6:30 am onward. This activity was not only helping me with my physical fitness but also a great source of my spiritual health. I heard the beautiful songs of the birds and in fact i recorded some of them. This trail is in most natural form and a great opportunity of a morning walk and recreation for individuals and groups. The only thing, it should have sitting place like many I have observed in New Zealand.

Logan L.

This is a nice getaway. The description says 4.7 miles, You can go double that.distance easily. This is my "go to" tail when I need woods time. There is a mix of smooth trail and rock gardens. The trails are marked very well.

Anne Cancino

3 Completed1 Reviews

Enjoyed my adventure

Tyler M.

Put the headphones in and just go!!

Jacob Abu Hanna

2 Completed2 Reviews

Jav Ier

6 Completed6 Reviews

Amazing ride, bring plenty of water and sun screen. There's good shade but the heat can creep up on you. Very rocky with good downhill motion so wear a helmet, get off your bike if you have to. Very fun areas and also advanced areas so research the map before venturing off. We parked @ the South entrance and exited out of the North entrance, had 4 liters of water and ran out just as we finished so I repeat, bring plenty of water especially if you plan on riding back the same way. We took Wonderland rd back to the south entrance via the shoulder lane, easy downhill return. I recommend Malacoda trail if you'd like to see a nice cave :)

Bryan Hauteman

1 Completed1 Reviews

A bit of a rocky trail. However their are some fun and challenging spots. You can ride for hours. Their is a dam that I like to take a brake on, and pick some dewberries ( only grow around April through June). Not all the trails are challenging, some are quite easy. Oh and the best part is that the trails are full of cute girls :)