Adams Canyon Trail

Layton, UT
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Adams Canyon Trail is a 3.7 mile out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for camping, cross country skiing & hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Travel north on Highway 89 and take the first right past Oakhills Road (Layton City Water Tank). Take another right (south) on the frontage road. Park at the end of pavement at fenced off reservoir. Trail starts on north side of the reservoir. This trail has good access to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

Utah Travel Council, Council Hall, P.O. Box 147420 , Salt Lake City, UT, 84114, Phone: 801-538-1030, travel@utah.com

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This was a great hike! Took six kids along with us ranging from four years old to 10 years old. Not too hard but still a fun challenge. Will definitely do it again.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

For all you people Bitching about dogs being off the leash.. if you google "Layton Utah off the leash dog hike" Adams canyon trail is the first thing to pop up.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This trail has a few awesome faces to get up. Some great points to anchor in and get a great climb also good free climb spots as well. Right after the small fall that goes over the big boulders is a sweet cliff! Not for amateur climbers! At the waterfall there is some good bouldering and a great place to get your lunch on. A side note keep your dogs on a leash! No one cares if "he's the sweetest. oh he'll never bite. He's trained" its the law. No one wants to be nocked over on the rocks because your dog is bolting along the trail.

Icon_ae23d112b317a2e9993add62233134c1

11 Completed 1 Reviews

His trail was great. I was looking for something new and I ran into this. It was hard but fun. And the waterfall is gorgeous. The parking was pretty easy and it isn't hard to find the area. I enjoyed the scenery and the fact that my dogs could get out for a bit and play in the river. It was all in all a great hiking I'll be doing more often.

Icon_

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I went on the hike. It was beautiful. I took my dog, on a leash of course. But lots of inconsiderate people with dogs off leash. I had 4 children with me. They all loved it. Fun hike very pretty.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Solid hike. The last quarter can get pretty hairy the trail narrows and gets quite rocky but it's worth it.

15 Completed 13 Reviews

Icon_

15 Completed 2 Reviews

This is by far one of my favorite trails. I hike here several times a week when time permits. The hike can be difficult based on the route taken. Some of the obstacles can be avoided by going around them. That is what I have my small children do when we go together. It can get crowded especially on weekends and evenings. The biggest complaint from people I know is the dog owners. Please be respectful and keep you dog on a leash. I'm sure your dog is wonderful but dogs fight. I have seen several altercations on the trail because of unleashed dogs. The other big complaint is the constant smell of dog poop along the bottom of the trail. Basic trail etiquette is definitely lacking.

5 Completed 5 Reviews

I enjoyed this hike, but there are a lot of inconsiderate people that have their dogs off their leash. I brought my boxer, but I had her on a leash and I also brought supplies to clean up after her. WATCH YOUR STEP to avoid all the doggie doo doo on the trail.

15 Completed 2 Reviews

Fun hike, but lots of people. When you get to the top, there is an area where you can do some bouldering up above the waterfall. The trail follows the river almost the whole way which is nice and refreshing. Be prepared for other hikers that have their dogs with them. Also, the first section of the hike consists of a very sandy trail that switches back multiple times. Once you are past that it is great!

Support