Adams Canyon Trail

Layton, UT

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Adams Canyon Trail is a 3.7 mile out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for camping, cross country skiing & hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Scott Trudeau (151)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Completed this hike in the summer. Adams Canyon Trail can get crowded so you may want to save this one for a weekday. The trail can get rocky and at small sections require some easy rock scrambling. Watch for snakes.

Judika T. (138)

Love this hike. Did it yesterday and today ....couldn't make it to the waterfall (almost) because I had my 7month old strapped to me in a Carrier and towards the end it was icy and dangerous (with an infant ). But I heard the waterfall was spectacular....was busy...but people are very friendly !

Daniel Danysh (2119)

26 Completed23 Reviews

On a 60 degree day in mid winter we trekked through the mayhem of hundreds if not 1000s of hikers, families and dogs. It was so busy you needed traffic controllers. Apart from poor timing the hike itself was great. A little tougher than the blue rating I thought because of the constant inclines. Better when you break off the main trail for finding the less traveled road :)

Cameron Mackay (45)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome Hike! No snow at all until the very end, and even then there really wasn't much at all.

Dustin Bessire (90)

5 Completed1 Reviews

I just did this around 11A, and there were 3 others that I ran into within a period of three hours. This was nice, however; the ice for the latter part of the trail was pretty shady. Slipped a few times on the way up and down. Totally worth it to sit alone in the canyon, in the presence of the waterfall and eat some lunch. Little difficult for a beginning hiker, but totally worth it at your own pace. Can't wait to do this one in the summer!

Jen Shaleen (167)

8 Completed4 Reviews

We hiked this trail on a Sunday morning in January and only saw 1 other person. It is beautiful in the winter. Very peaceful.

Jason Herndon (192)

2 Completed2 Reviews

This was an amazing hike. It was a bit difficult on the way up - be careful of the rocks - so I'd suggest an early start and plenty of water. But you weave back/forth across the river before ending up at the waterfall. There are lots of great places to stop and rest if you need to. I saw a lot of people on the trail who didn't make it to the waterfall - some only a few minutes away from it. Such a shame as this is a gorgeous little fall and the water was so refreshing. I saw lots of families too, but I don't know if my kids on all the rocks. Some kids we're having an easier time than others. All in all - a great day hike.

Jason DeCarlo (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Alicia Grace (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was overall a good hike. Harder with little ones, but workable if you have help.

Pfad Finder (101)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Decided to take this hike on my last afternoon in town, and was so glad I did. Not as strenuous as some of the others I did recently while in SLC, but the falls and the canyon scenery once clear of the shoreline trail were really very beautiful, especially considering the high amount of traffic on this trail.

There's a nice bouldering/ready free climb opportunity around the falls, and the view from up top is great. Thanks to the nice folks who left a sturdy fixed rope along the cleft that goes to the top of the falls!

Picked up a lot of small trail trash on this route (a full doggie poo bag, really?)...except for the dog bag, not a gripe (little kids need to hike, too!); just be ready to help keep it clean if you're not busy with tots of your own.

Support