Adams Canyon Trail

Layton, UT

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Adams Canyon Trail is a 3.7 mile out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for camping, cross country skiing & hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Travel north on Highway 89 and take the first right past Oakhills Road (Layton City Water Tank). Take another right (south) on the frontage road. Park at the end of pavement at fenced off reservoir. Trail starts on north side of the reservoir. This trail has good access to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

Utah Travel Council, Council Hall, P.O. Box 147420 , Salt Lake City, UT, 84114, Phone: 801-538-1030, travel@utah.com

Icon_8a087bc0d9fc388642f071b30fe5855e

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Super great! I TOTALLY recommend it!
It's not a real tough hike, though it does have up hill parts. But if you get tired there are plenty of places that you can stop to take a break. I recommend going in the morning so it's cooler and less crowded and remember to bring lots of water and a camera to take pictures of the BEAUTIFUL waterfall at the end!

7 Completed 8 Reviews

3 Completed 3 Reviews

This is a great canyon to hike. There are a few difficult parts, but overall it's not too hard if you take your time. We usually hike it rather quickly with kids and it takes us about 2 hours up and back. If it's your first time, take your time and enjoy the river, steep canyon walls, and great waterfall at the top. Bring some snacks and have a little lunch at one of the campsites along the way up.

6 Completed 6 Reviews

A nice trail. We did it on a Sunday, and although it was crowded we had fun. We took our dog off-leash and came across many other dogs along the way. It's definitely a great hike if you have a dog. It runs along a creek for most of the way, and ours loved playing in the water as we hiked. There's a waterfall at the top which was a nice place to stop, relax for a bit, and have a snack. The trail was fairly well-defined for the whole way. There is a small "trail" from the base of the waterfall to the top, but unless you're experienced it's quote dangerous, and I wouldn't recommend taking it even if you are, just in case someone takes a tumble and brings you down with them. We saw so many people attempt it who clearly had no idea what they were doing. But anyhow, lovely light afternoon hike. It took us about 3 hours round trip, and we were going at a pretty leisurely pace.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This has to be my favorite day hike in Utah to date. The hike itself is relatively easy and there are plenty of stops along the way worthy of photographs and lasting memories.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

I LOVED this hike. Gorgeous! Following the creek was amazing. Pretty waterfall at the end!

9 Completed 10 Reviews

6 Completed 3 Reviews

I hiked this trail on 5/17. It was extremely crowded, but still an excellent experience. It was our (me and my daughter, Amy) first time to visit. If you are going, you really need to stick with it till you get to the big waterfalls. There is a smaller one about 15-20 minutes from the big one. Water shoes are OK. But the water is not deep and you can rock-hop to get to the big waterfall. I highly recommend it!

Icon_

9 Completed 8 Reviews

Hiked this with my 2 little girls. I've gone on a Sunday and saw maybe 8 people. This time we went On a Saturday it was super crowded but the WATERFALL was amazing. A little strenuous toward the top for my girls but they did it !!! Bring water shoes you have to go across the river to see the waterfall

4 Completed 1 Reviews

The first time hiking this trail can be confusing in some areas. Thankfully it isn't hard to find your way up if you just track the boot prints of humans and paw prints of dogs. Loved the hike. It had the perfect amount of challenging inclines and obstacles, and a bonus round at the very end - finding a rock path across the river. Or not worrying about it and just trudging through the river. Either way, you're going to get your shoes/feet wet. As always bring water and other outdoor gear you feel necessary for a 2-3 hour excursion.

Support