Beartrap Fork Trail

#92 of 302 trails in Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Beartrap Fork Trail is a 2.8 mile trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for cross country skiing & hiking and is accessible year-round.

2.12 miles Point to Point 2240 feet
hiking cross country skiing
Hide Map

Directions from Salt Lake City: The trail begins about 10 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) on private land. The trail is not marked.

Shauna A.

Loved this hike. Went over Labor day weekend with my hiking buddy and saw NO ONE else on the Beartrap Fork Trail. Once we hit the Great Western trail we saw shared the trail with a few mountain bikers, a couple of trail runners and a few hikers. It is worth following the Great Western Trail to overlook Desolation Lake and down into the Canyons ski resort. The views are spectacular. We were startled by 2 bull moose bedding near the trail on the way down. They seemed unimpressed with us and were more likely letting us know they were around and to keep walking. The trail head is hard to find. If you are driving up Big Cottonwood look for a road named Beartrap Fork road to the left just as you enter the Brighton cottage area. You can park on the side of the road and hike the paved road to the end where you connect with the trail. Take a right and keep hiking up and up and up. The trail has some shady areas as well as open meadow. As stated the trail is well maintained but it is steep ( we were thankful for trekking poles). The stream bed was dry this time of year. Took us 3.5-4 hours in total with a break for lunch and to enjoy the views.

Ryan Strehlow

14 Completed12 Reviews

Nice, quick, quiet and somewhat inclined hike. I got charged by a mother grouse. The views from the top over to Canyons is great. It is somewhat tricky to find though if you don't know what to look for.

Brittany Hulet

9 Completed1 Reviews

We started at the very bottom and hiked the 3 or so miles up to where you can see Desolation Lake. The hike from the start was pretty up hill and was consistently so though the whole way up. The 0.5 miles down to Desolation Lake are definitely worth it! Going back down the trail was a little tough due to the gravely trails so there was some slipping going on. But I would definitely recommend the trail!

Tiffany Draper

47 Completed23 Reviews

This is a beautiful trail! Not too challenging until the last mile where the incline is a bit steeper. Still totally doable and totally worth it. Saw two deer on the way up and one on the way down. You meet up with with the Wasatch Crest trail at the top of Beartrap Fork and can head up to Desolation Peak (which you should do, it's a very short climb!) or continue along the Wasatch Crest to a gorgeous view of Desolation Lake, Gobbler's, Raymond and Kessler.

Breck Tuttle

414 Completed387 Reviews

Great short trail for snowshoeing. It takes you to a ridge where you can look over into Canyons resort. You can also see down to Desolation Lake. Would like to hike this in the summer then I can give a report on the trail itself.

7 Completed1 Reviews

Start 0.31 miles down the canyon from Beartrap Road at gate with watershed sign across from Rivers End Road/Coyote Run Lane street signs.

Dara Boe

9 Completed4 Reviews

I attempted to hike this hike today. I went to where both the internet/this app told me to go. All the "trails" I hit were labeled with "private property". I finally gave up looking for the trail head and climbed up to lake Mary instead. Total let down. Boo.