Devils Garden Trail

#5 of 36 trails in Arches National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Moderately easy hike, up to 6 easily reached arches, desert settings.

This is a wonderful hike that allows you to see up to six named arches, any one of which would be worth the moderately easy 4 mile hike. The main trail is well maintained, and wide. The first spur trail takes you to Tunnel Arch and Pine Tree Arch. We were lucky enough to share Tunnel Arch with a small herd of grazing mule deer.

Next the trail leads to Landscape Arch, which at 306' long is one of the largest natural spans in the world. After visiting Landscape Arch, you begin your only significant uphill climb of the trip. You will walk well below Wall Arch, then climb higher to spur trails to Navajo and Partition Arch. The later offering great views out over the desert. At this point we retraced the main trail back to the trailhead, but you could continue on for an additional 2 1/4 miles for views of Double Arch and Dark Angel.

The trailhead lies at the end of main road through Arches National Park, just past the Devils Garden Campground.

National Park Service - (435) 259-8161

Person_placeholder

69 Completed 24 Reviews

Have hiked to most of these arches 2 to 10 times and I have enjoyed it every time.

14 Completed 12 Reviews

16 Completed 2 Reviews

This is a beautiful trail, and I'd recommend it to anyone. We hiked almost to Dark Angel when we decided the sky looked too ominous to continue. The trail is fairly easy in the beginning and well maintained. Once you pass Landscape Arch, it gradually gets more strenuous, but it looks way worse than it really is. There were some people who sat on the rocks because they were too afraid to continue upwards, so you have to walk around them. The most difficult part is the fin: a 5-7 ft wide path atop a wall of rock with steep drop-offs on either side, but this is more of a psychological obstacle than a physical one. Good shoes are a must; it can get slippery, even when dry. The day we went, the wind picked up with the threat of a storm, which was a little daunting on the fins if you're little, but worth it for the sense of accomplishment. In total, our trip was about 5 miles; we did not take the primitive loop back. Make sure to wear layers if you go in the winter like we did, as it was chilly in the shade and rather warm out in the open. It does get crowded, so the only wildlife we saw were jackrabbits and unmaintained beards.

26 Completed 24 Reviews

We just hiked to Landscape Arch this time. An easy hike that anyone could do. Bring the kids.

16 Completed 14 Reviews

Beautiful and the kids loved it too (they're hiking pros - ages 3 thru 10) - trail is well maintained and crowded. We were there in June so of course it was busy - even at the early hours of the AM. parking was a pain. But all very worth it!! Great picture spots and the landscape is amazing.

341 Completed 343 Reviews

Always amazed to not only see landscape arch but see that it's still standing

16 Completed 3 Reviews

Very nice trail, can be a bit much at some points if you are afraid of heights. Beautiful 360 views in a couple of areas, several arches if you hike out to all side trails branching off main trail. I actually did the primitive trail, which is where the heights & ledges come in. It can be a little long & moderately strenuous at times. I did see one teenage girl crying on one part of the trail where it was a little steep up & down the rock walls. It wasn't too bad, but not for everyone I suppose. My fiancee is afraid of heights & steep ledges. He made it through and said it wasn't horrible. In fact, he wants to go back one day to do it again. It was still a little cold in the morning when we hiked this March, but I'm glad it wasn't mid-summer. Definitely take the side trails for Partition Arch and Navajo Arch. Well worth the short hikes to these two, especially the view from Partition Arch. This was my favorite trail in Arches.

43 Completed 20 Reviews

Great Hike, Loved it. One of the best trails in Arches.

6 Completed 6 Reviews

This is one of my favourite hikes in Arches. When we hike this trail, we usually go out to Dark Angel and back. We have taken the primitive loop a couple of times, which makes this hike around 7 miles total. I would definitely suggest taking the primitive loop at least once, but take it from Double O Arch back to the trail near Landscape Arch rather than the other way around unless you enjoy climbing up the slick rock. The were several places on the primitive loop where I was very glad I had not gone the other way. Landscape and Double O are the two highlight arches on this trail, but there are many others. With the recent collapse of Wall Arch, the trail to Double O now requires a climb up a rather steep sandstone fin, but with good shoes it is not as difficult as it appears. After Double O Arch, a trail goes out to Dark Angel, a sandstone monolith that is quite impressive. It is also rarely crowded when we go in October, so it allows you to enjoy some solitude. If going out to Dark Angel, take plenty of water and some lunch for a nice meal when you arrive. It's a very beautiful, scenic hike.

14 Completed 4 Reviews

Great hike! Beautiful rock formations everywhere. Kids can do it too!

Support