Mount Olympus Trail

HARD
#1 of 11 trails in Mount Olympus Wilderness
Mount Olympus Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly birding hiking nature trips rock climbing trail running walking forest views wild flowers wildlife over grown rocky scramble
Hide Map

Diane Mohlman

11 Completed11 Reviews

Hard. But good

Kriss R

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hard, but a great workout! My first time here and it was tougher than I thought. Only made it to the stream (took about 1.5 hours) because I ran out of time. I didn't want to hike down the mountain in the dark. If you're wanting to take it slow with a lot of water & picture breaks, I would say to get to the very top might take you around 3 hours. Then 2 hours or less to come down.
Wear your comfiest hiking shoes! The views are breathtaking! Can't wait to come back & get to the very top!

McLean Smith

6 Completed11 Reviews

Great place to camp and watch the sunrise.

Scott Curtis

2 Completed2 Reviews

The level of difficulty is indeed hard. As an avid workout person, the last climb was tough. I was able to run down the last 2/3.

The trails are a bit screwy and you can easily get on the wrong trail. This was the first time I have ever done this hike and I was alone. Trail markers would be magnificent.

Made it up and down in under 3 hours!

Sherri Stiles

10 Completed6 Reviews

We only went to the saddle because we ran out of time. We ran out of time because there was still a fair amount of snow and icy patches and we didn't have any microspike or sticks. The big steps up and down that are scattered throughout the hike took more of a toll on my legs than did the switchbacks. The view from the saddle was awesome and we saw only two other people while we were sitting up there.

Marissa Jeppson

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is a very strenuous hike, but it is SO worth it. The view after the scramble is breathtaking.

WARNING: I took my 100 pound golden retriever on this trail, and he did very well on the way up, but the rocky terrain and the steepness of the trail was very hard on his pads. When we got about a mile down the trail after reaching the top, he couldn't walk anymore. If you do take your pups on this trail, I would recommend having them wear booties or just don't bring them on this particular trail. I was plenty prepared with water for him, but the rocks were just too much for his poor little feet. Luckily some amazing people helped my friend and me carry him the rest of the way down the mountain to my car. On our way down we saw two other dogs that had to be carried down, too. He got home safely and he is resting now. I just don't want anyone else's puppy to go through the same thing mine did.

A beautiful trail though! Good luck to those who challenge themselves with this trail!

Kelvin Hernandez

6 Completed7 Reviews

Good workout. A lot of uphill, but definitely worth it. The scrambling part of it was the best!

Ashley Barry

1 Completed1 Reviews

Pretty strenuous, we had 2 moderately experienced hikers. The hike up was a little more than 2 hours with a handful of water breaks. On the way down we made it in a little over an hour and a half. Some snow present at the peak but none on the trail. Bring plenty of water its worth the views if you're up for a challenge!

Kayla W.

Amber Klepacz

2 Completed2 Reviews

I would say this hike is very strenuous but definitely worth it! Bring plenty of water and food and plan to be on the mountain for a while. We had a group of beginner to moderately experienced hikers who needed a lot of breaks and pacing and it took 6 hours to reach the peak, 4 hours to get back. The scramble at the end is 100% worth it for the view!!

The keys to successfully completing this hike:
-no such thing as too much water. It will be worth the extra weight. Some food is a good idea too, we packed lunches plus snacks.
-pacing! The hike is very strenuous.
-a good attitude. Don't get discouraged, you can do it!

Joey P.

Early in the season, still tons of snow up top. Took my pup up to the top with me!

John Sullivan

1 Completed1 Reviews

hahaha haha 3.8 miles my ass y'all going to be hiking for 5 hours on this! good luck and don't die

Alexander Lawhun

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was awesome! Steep and rocky, felt like walking on a stair master for the last 1/3 of the hike. Scramble to get up to the summit as well. Not too bad of a scramble, stay right on the scramble. Follow carins.
Also, took my puggle up the hike, did everything but the scramble!

Katherine Crabtree

9 Completed4 Reviews

Leg workout!

Korry Roper

2 Completed2 Reviews

Steep at first nice log stairs.great view of the valley. Left phone on Blazer Bumper had to cut hike short do plan a revisit. Wife got the wobbly legs running down .daughter wanted more

Chris Genore

6 Completed7 Reviews

good hike

Robert Canales

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great trail. Top 1/3 still has snow

Scott Carbonara

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike! Saw three moose this morning.