Mount Olympus Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mount Olympus Wilderness

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Olympus Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & rock climbing and is accessible from June until October.

Icon_

21 Completed 21 Reviews

This hike is like cheese, when you eat it has a lot to do with how good it will be. It has the potential to be great, good trail, good views, good exposure, etc. It also can be a butt-kicker if you don't plan accordingly. The hike can get incredibly hot. It faces west, which means it catches 100% of the afternoon sun. The rocks are dark orange and radiate heat like a brick oven (temps of 115 degrees have been recorded on this trail) Water is a must, and time of day is critical. Rattlers are present, however, snakes are more rare as long as you are not the first one up that day. It's somewhere between very and incredibly popular so plan on a few of your closest friends. My opinion, best done in the spring (March, April) or late fall. (October November) weather permitting of course.

7 Completed 3 Reviews

First half is exposed. There's quite a bit of shade, which is good if you get a late start on the trail. The rock climbing bit is short, and looks way more intimidating than it is (I saw a dog make it up- actually took the best route up...go figure). The views from the top are rewarding. No rattlers for me, but plenty of reports from fellow travelers, so keep an eye/ear out.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

I just did this hike last weekend. Find my review of the hike with photos on my blog: http://ittybittyfittymahi.weebly.com/blog/weekend-in-salt-lake-city-day-2-mt-olympus

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Good hike. Great view and a fun scramble to the top. Quite tired after.

8 Completed 8 Reviews

A pretty difficult hike. It's pretty steep and coming down my toes kept hitting into the top of my shoe and I ultimately lost the nail on my big toe. When you get to the top and climb over all the boulders though it's pretty cool! I'll do it again.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Yep HARD Hike! If you make it to the saddle go the rest of the way! Amazing view!!!! It took me 7 hours whew. I did it!

34 Completed 8 Reviews

If you can do this hike, you can pretty much hike anything in Utah. Lots of elevation gain, hard on the knees. People have died on this trail, take it seriously, have proper footwear and plenty of water. This hike has some of the best views of Salt Lake Valley that you'll find anywhere. Not a beginner hike. For any experienced hiker, this is one you'll want to check off your list.

4 Completed 3 Reviews

This hike was hardcore! The first 2 1/2 miles was pretty easy, the last mile kicked my butt. Definitely must be an experienced hiker and bring LOTS of water!

24 Completed 1 Reviews

You cannot be in SLC and not hike Mt. Olympus. Fall time was the perfect time of year. In the dead heat of the summer this would be a miserable hike in my opinion. Bring lots of water - I suggest camel backpacks - bottle water is NOT enough. I would also bring protein bars and apples. Not for weak knees. Hard on knees coming down.

41 Completed 1 Reviews

My personal favorite trail for many years. Great view of the whole Salt Lake valley. Bring lots of water. Next time will be # 17!

Support