Mount Olympus Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Olympus Wilderness
Mount Olympus Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & rock climbing and is accessible from June until October.

7.0 miles Out & Back 4196 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking rock climbing trail running dogs forest over grown
Hide Map

Tyler Mccourt

7 Completed2 Reviews

Shauna A.

I am getting this review in a little late. Hiked this trail on November 1st. We only hiked to the saddle due to time constraints and we did not want to fast track through the rock scramble to the summit. The hike is difficult. The beginning of the trail is steep and then it transitions into steep and rocky (but not a scramble) as you approach the saddle. The trail is well defined the whole way to the saddle. The views of the valley along the way are spectacular. The overlook at the saddle is breathtaking. We were lucky enough to see mountain goats on the way up and they were still there people watching as we made our descent. We encountered many happy canine hikers and a few trail runners (Kudos). Overall, a great experience and highly recommended if you like a challenge. Give yourself time to enjoy the views or complete the scramble to the summit.

Sanaul H.

This is a steep hike but not all the way it was snowy and icy at the top end have some gloves .

Zhou (Joe) Y.

This is a hard one. Be prepared to use bare hands and scramble in the last 0.4 mile. It takes a long time to finish the last 0.4. But be patient and make sure you get on the right trail. Otherwise, you will be very regretful.

Fortunately, there are cairns near the trail to guide you through the most difficult part. You may be amply rewarded at the top.

Avoid the last section if it is raining or wet. Avoid cold or windy days.

Hard to finish the trial in 5 hours unless you are familiar with the trail and you are running part of it.

Jeremy Gow

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great view from the top. There is rock climbing from the landing to the actual summit. It's not as bad as it looks but still sketchy while climbing up to the summit. Very difficult trail but a great workout. Went through 3 liters of water by the time I was 1/4 the way down so bring plenty.

Benjamin Forbes

1 Completed1 Reviews

It really means hard. I was sweating like crazy and honestly didn't enjoy myself that much on this hike. There isn't all that great a view on the way up or down. The top is nice though. Not worth it for me. Won't be going again soon.

B K Jaworski

34 Completed11 Reviews

I give this a low rating because it's so popular for the Wasatch Front's front country hikes. One hears traffic all the way up except in a few spots near the top of Tollcat Canyon. The views are spectacular however the summit trail may give the unsteady weak knees. Hams, take a mobile with you for some great long distance contacts.

Morgan Taylor

66 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful views, but man this one kicked my butt. I go hiking fairly frequently, and I can't remember the last time I was so exhausted upon returning to my car. That being said, definitely a beautiful hike.

Jordan Bauer

2 Completed2 Reviews

Dominic Montoya

2 Completed1 Reviews

It was a challenging trail at some points. I'm not in the best of shape but we hiked 2 hrs in and about an hr back. Beautiful sites as well. Highly recommend.