Mount Olympus Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mount Olympus Wilderness

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Olympus Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & rock climbing and is accessible from June until October.

19 Completed 19 Reviews

Tough hike. Very nice rock climbing at the end

3 Completed 3 Reviews

9 Completed 2 Reviews

The toughest hike I have done so far. Intense but it's all worth it!

3 Completed 2 Reviews

Challenging and worth it!

15 Completed 15 Reviews

I like the philosophy to start each season with this hike, then you know you can do any other hike in the state. The west side of Grandeur Peak Was really good prep I regards to lengths and elevation. I found that West Grandeur was harder for me, but the following week we did Olympus it was over cast weather early summer. I will say I was terrified at the final rock scramble - terrified at how I was going to get down - turns out the scramble down was much easier than the scramble up. So if you get to the saddle, rest and just conquer the rest!!!!! And bring water.

Icon_

21 Completed 21 Reviews

This hike is like cheese, when you eat it has a lot to do with how good it will be. It has the potential to be great, good trail, good views, good exposure, etc. It also can be a butt-kicker if you don't plan accordingly. The hike can get incredibly hot. It faces west, which means it catches 100% of the afternoon sun. The rocks are dark orange and radiate heat like a brick oven (temps of 115 degrees have been recorded on this trail) Water is a must, and time of day is critical. Rattlers are present, however, snakes are more rare as long as you are not the first one up that day. It's somewhere between very and incredibly popular so plan on a few of your closest friends. My opinion, best done in the spring (March, April) or late fall. (October November) weather permitting of course.

8 Completed 3 Reviews

First half is exposed. There's quite a bit of shade, which is good if you get a late start on the trail. The rock climbing bit is short, and looks way more intimidating than it is (I saw a dog make it up- actually took the best route up...go figure). The views from the top are rewarding. No rattlers for me, but plenty of reports from fellow travelers, so keep an eye/ear out.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

I just did this hike last weekend. Find my review of the hike with photos on my blog: http://ittybittyfittymahi.weebly.com/blog/weekend-in-salt-lake-city-day-2-mt-olympus

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Good hike. Great view and a fun scramble to the top. Quite tired after.

8 Completed 8 Reviews

A pretty difficult hike. It's pretty steep and coming down my toes kept hitting into the top of my shoe and I ultimately lost the nail on my big toe. When you get to the top and climb over all the boulders though it's pretty cool! I'll do it again.

Support