Mount Olympus Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Olympus Wilderness

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Olympus Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & rock climbing and is accessible from June until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Scott Browning (147)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Jessi Opdahl (154)

5 Completed1 Reviews

Such an intense hike! Did this today with my company, The Presidio Group, Inc., and made it all the way to he summit. This trail is definitely an uphill battle the entire way. Coming down was way easier, and it was so incredibly rewarding to make it to the top! Definitely not a hike for the afternoon or any later.... be sure to check your weather and plan accordingly - we started at 6a.m. And it was still scorching on the way down! I had a 2.5L pack along with one extra water bottle and ran out of water about 2 miles out from the bottom. Still made it though!!!

Bence Csontos (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Steep as ever but it doesn't get any better on the Wildcat Ridge Traverse, still worth the experience, especially the thundershowers that cooled me off after 80 degree heat on the ridge, uphill was torture near the end but downhill on a nice trail is always a breeze.

Steve Oswald (13159)

157 Completed159 Reviews

This was an impressive hike, that was perfect for conditioning in preparation for other, difficult hikes. The grade for this one is gnarly, particularly after the stream about 1.5 miles out. Initially on the hike, you'll come to a short set of stair-like terraces to quickly ascend some elevation. It actually flattens out a bit shortly after the climb, and is manageable for a little over a mile (to the stream). There isn't much cover, but there are places to stop and rest in the shade if needed. Its a good idea to start the hike early, as this whole section gets quite hot later in the day when the sun comes out. Again, after about 1.5 miles, you'll cross a small stream in an area that is shaded. From this point, it's shaded most of the way until the scramble at the end (another 1.5 miles away). This is where the pitch really picks up, and doesn't let up. A rough calculation from my tracks shows about 29% grade from the stream to the saddle. Once at the saddle, you get a great view of Big Cottonwood and the Twin Peaks Wilderness area. It's a nice place to stop for a minute before the scramble to the top. There isn't much distance left to the top, but you'll ascend about 600 feet during your scramble, where it can be technical at some times (no equipment needed, just be careful). Once at the top, stop, soak it in, snap a pic, and know you just earned whatever delicious reward awaits you when you get back to civilization.

Shane Hofhine (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike. Need to be in better shape. I hiked it last weekend and couldn't walk for a couple days. I started at 6:30 am. Next time I'm going to start at 5:30. It gets hot once that sun comes out. I went through a lot of water but i came prepared wearing a camel pack.

J Dawg (144)

4 Completed6 Reviews

Mt. Olympus is probably my most favorite hike because it is challenging and most rewarding. It is a difficult hike but have joy in the journey. Enjoy what nature has along the way the way up and coming back down. Dont forget to take water and have a good pace. My favorite part is after the saddle, or some say the shoulder comes the climbing/scrambling up to the very top. I reached the top and could not find the mailbox with the notebook inside, guess I wasnt looking hard enough. On the way down I came across a rattle snake, I was so close to it. Thank goodness I didnt get bit. Please watch out and be safe.

Adolfo Garcia (588)

8 Completed4 Reviews

I misjudge this hike big time! Oviously I was not in good enogh shape to do it, taking in consideration I had open heart surgery just 7 months ago. I also started the hike way to late on the day for this time of the year since the temperatures can reach well over 90 on the way back. Biggest of all mistake to little water ran out of water very close to the peak and painfully had to make the abort the rest of the hike! And it was a very painful returned back severely dehydrated! Heed the advise about water!

J Dawg (144)

4 Completed6 Reviews

Blake Meier (61)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was probably the steepest, most exhausting hike I've ever done. The view from the summit was incredible! I was glad I started at 6 am this morning. It took me about 4 hours total.

McLean Smith (115)