Sessions Canyon Trail

HARD
#2 of 6 trails in Mueller Park
Sessions Canyon Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bountiful, UT that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly kid friendly birding camping hiking nature trips trail running walking horseback riding forest river views waterfall wild flowers wildlife bridge out over grown rocky
Hide Map

Sessions Canyon climbs up a creek canyon from directly above Bountiful, UT. It is a lovely canyon, with lots of shade and a beautiful babbling creek throughout. However, footing is sometimes poor, and the farther you go, the poorer and more overgrown the trail gets. After dropping 100' from the parking lot into the canyon, the trail climbs steadily, closely following the creek and crossing it numerous times. The footing is sometimes poor, and at times of very heavy flow, creek crossing could be difficult (while it is never a challenge in summer).

Cindy DeHart

3 Completed2 Reviews

Nice hike. Muddy as the stream was in full flow with the spring rains. It is a elevation climb from the beginning with numerous creek crossings. Plan for shoes that can get wet. We used walking sticks which was a great idea due to the mud. We went nearly 3 miles in and never hit the trail end. This is closer to a 6 or 6,5 round trip hike. Enjoy.

Brian Utley

Nate Davison

Noel Houk

2 Completed2 Reviews

This was a really nice hike. Only ran into a few hikers. I would not suggest taking little kids on this trail.

Maan Singh

3 Completed1 Reviews

It was a great! Narrow trail, no traffic. I ran into only 2 other hikers. I won't recommend hiking with kids unless u r carrying them.

Kyle Barney

1 Completed1 Reviews

Always beautiful, trail follows a flowing stream. My dog and I love this trail.

Bree R.

Great trail! Some parts were muddy and icy but nothing unbearable. Most of the leave were gone but it was still gorgeous.

Conner Curless

5 Completed2 Reviews

Gorgeous trail- even at this time of year! The trail is covered by canopy except for a couple of spots. Took a dog and he had a blast! Definitely will be back to this trail.

James Donovan

Bradley Rasmusen

7 Completed1 Reviews

Did this hike this morning. I very much enjoyed this trail. It was mostly covered, and followed a stream all the way. We took our dogs and they loved it too. I would like to do this again in the fall when the leaves change color. The views and the scenery are just great. 3/4 of the way up the trail, it's a very wet area. We saw lots of pretty mushrooms and moss growing everywhere. I would recommend this for most people.

One thing to note: This trail is listed as 5 miles in and out. We turned around after 3 miles up the trail, so 6 miles in and out for us and we could have kept going too.

Lara Funakoshi

23 Completed9 Reviews

Great hike, we mad it through the overgrown foliage to the end of the trail. Nice creek at top. Almost ran on top of rattlesnake coiled in the path in the forest about 1.5 miles from TH and my partner would have been bit since he was behind me.

Ryan Fausett

22 Completed6 Reviews

Ryan Fausett

22 Completed6 Reviews

Beautiful in June with all the wild flowers, river is low enough easy to cross with kids. Great way to beat hot day because most of lower trail is in the shade and breeze coming off stream.

Jon Manning

7 Completed3 Reviews

Tried getting up the trail very icy. Not recommended if you don't have crampons. This is normally a great trail but is in a deep northern canyon with little sun exposure. Thought I would take the kids out for a little adventure and it was tough from the beginning. I will try it again in the spring or it will be a good summer trail since it is mostly in the shade. :\

Kathryn Kennedy

22 Completed19 Reviews

A really pretty hike. We didn't make it all the way to the top of the canyon because of thunderstorms, but enjoyed the part that we were able to do. We brought our dog and she loved it. It's shaded for most of the way and runs along the stream for most of the way. Plus, we barely saw any other hikers along the way.

Daniel Danysh

36 Completed26 Reviews

A lovely lengthy hike winding through the canyon from bottom to top accompanied by a rambling brook with plenty of deep pools and adjoining mountain springs. Plenty of woods, rocks and beautiful foliage for this Autumn's jaunt :)

Madison Sosa

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike! Took the dogs, be careful with off-leash though, there are steep drops down to the stream. It was really great since there are spots for the dogs to get their feet wet and keep them cool, and lots of the trail is covered. We didn't go too far up, but definitely looking forward to seeing what's further next time. First hike in a VERY long time, not too hard at all!

Jacob Gobles

John Hopkins

1 Completed1 Reviews

I did this hike yesterday. It was exactly as described. I made it up quite a way. I only saw a few other people on the trail, so that was nice. I was looking for this mythical tree farm, but had no luck. I really couldn't find any place that it could have been hiding. I did run into an area with a lot of tall evergreens that could have been from the seeds of said farm though.
The stream had a lot of frozen areas that were interesting looking. I can only imagine that this will become more pronounced as it gets colder.

Craig Berlin

3 Completed3 Reviews

Really nice hike with varied terrain and a stream by you the entire time. Foliage gets a little thick the farther you get. Good shoes, preferably waterproof, are essential here as you have multiple creek crossings and it's easier if you don't have to keep them completely dry. Very shaded. I didn't get all the way as I got a late start but hope to try again soon.