Timpanogos Trail (Aspen Grove)

#5 of 299 trails in Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Timpanogos Trail is a 12.7 mile out and back trail located near Sundance, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ashleigh McMahon (72)

2 Completed1 Reviews

I seriously am mostly just proud I got as far as I did! We had a time constraint so only made it to the Saddle but it was beautiful. My Fitbit showed 14m round trip. We hiked 3.5h up and 3.15h down. I felt like we lollygagged more going up than down so I was really surprised it took just as Long to come down. I definitely want to try this as a sunrise hike.

Austin Reece (106)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail. We started around 6:45 AM which I would definitely reccomendation doing. It was pretty hot on our way down. The trail and the surrounding area was absolutely beautiful. The sun was rising as we were going up and we even saw a family of mountain goats. The hike wasn't too strenuous except for one part which one of the people in our group described as "murderously steep". But that part was feasible and only lasted for about 30 yards. All in all a beautiful hike.

Bob Spencer (58)

3 Completed3 Reviews

My favorite Utah hike. Waterfalls, lake, snow fields, view of valley, mountains, Deer Creek, etc. Despite the crowds it is a must-do. Leave early ~5am to get parking at Aspen Grove parking area and enjoy hiking in the dark and as the mountain lights up on the East side. I've hiked both Timpanooke and Aspen and both offer different and excellent views. I slightly prefer Aspen because it is a bit shorter and the view of the backside of the mountain is so great. It has been a few years since we've had good snow, but one thing I always loved was sliding down the glacier snow field to the lake, when possible.

Jessie Nielsen (247)

12 Completed7 Reviews

Great Hike! Loved it!

David Man (369)

5 Completed7 Reviews

Kevin Parker (144)

7 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike on a weekday.

Samuel Adams (99)

4 Completed1 Reviews

It was 17 miles up to the summit and back on a Garmin . So be prepared

Josh Andreason (38)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Tyson S. (186)

Paul Wake (22)

2 Completed2 Reviews

The route is actually a bit longer than 12.7 miles round trip. Horses are on the Timpooneke trail, not this one. Remember to have money for the fee the Forest Service charges. Get there quite early on a weekend or there won't be parking. Hiking in June is definitely dangerous; that's often true in November also. Many people underestimate this hike--look at a thorough description of it, such as on the Hiking Mount Timpanogos Safely web page, before heading up.