Timpanogos Trail (Aspen Grove)

#7 of 300 trails in Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Timpanogos Trail is a 12.7 mile out and back trail located near Sundance, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Dan Fereday (58)

3 Completed2 Reviews

We hiked up to the summit from a little after midnight to watch the sunrise. The trail was pretty easy up until the switchbacks leading up to the saddle and on to the summit from there, at that point there are a few parts that are a little sketchy especially in the dark. The hike was great, a little challenging in parts but otherwise it's doable for anyone in decent shape.

My only gripe is the way people are treating this hike. We came across 4 places where people had defecated in the middle of the trail (not dogs unless dogs now use toilet paper) without even the decency of burying it or flicking it off the trail, lots of litter, and lots of people using the marked off shortcuts. Lots of campfires too, which is apparently a $200 fine plus a $25 processing fee if you get caught. This is a really pretty area, please respect it enough to leave it how you found it.

Brent H. (104)

Matthew Self (197)

3 Completed4 Reviews

This is not moderate!! You are hiking straight up the mountain at some points! Night hiking this is amazing though!!! Sunrise from the saddle, awesome!!! Definitely recommend!!

Alex Jennings (100)

1 Completed1 Reviews

EXPERIENCED HIKERS ONLY! Timp trail is not for the faint of heart or weak of knee. I hiked it yesterday with two buddies, one of whom is a crossfit trainer the other is an experienced hiker. I myself run several miles a few times a week and strength train. Of the three of us, only the hiker was able to make the hike without much strain. Meanwhile my crossfit friend and I took almost 4 hours to hobble through the last 3 miles of switchbacks because our lateral collateral ligaments felt like they were tearing out. It took almost 13 hours total.
CONCLUSION: Even if you're fit, only attempt this beautiful, rewarding hike if you are A) trained for it (by recently hiking a lot), B) have strong, conditioned joints (lots of rocks and steep steps near the saddle and summit) and C) bring a filter/pump. You may run out of water.
Gorgeous hike though, if you take away the joint pain.

Dani Kent (171)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Scottie Su LeClaire (169)

BJ Chapman (104)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This was a challenging hike. This app says its 13 miles but as I recorded it with my phone it was around 15. I did this with a group of 10 people and 7/10 of us made it to the top. This trail is not for the inexperienced hikers. There are steep cliffs, a lot of shale rock and a lot of snow and large rocks to traverse without a clear trail at times. It was very windy and cold at the top; I would recommend at least a light jacket or long sleeve shirt. Most of us went through about 3 liters of water and even refilled with a water filter at emerald lake. Overall, it was fun because it was a challenge. The trail variety ranging from a small section of pavement, dirt, rock, snow, boulder, crossing small streams with wet rock, and shale kept things interesting. The scenery was breathtaking, emerald lake is beautiful, waterfalls are amazing, and the view from the top is fantastic.

Kyle Thomas (78)

17 Completed1 Reviews

Hiking this trail in the dark and seeing the sunrise from the summit was a huge part of my childhood. Everyone needs that experience.

Koukonei Tiatia (370)

17 Completed16 Reviews

When I was 6 I was trampled my a moose on this trail in August so keep your eyes peeled! ☺️ I have gotten over my fear of this hike and hiked it 2-3 times a week last summer! Gorgeous always and emerald lake is the best part of it! Bring a lunch and eat there.

Jason Stick (41)