Timpanogos Trail (Aspen Grove)

Provo, UT
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Timpanogos Trail is a 12.7 mile out and back trail located near Sundance, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

There are two trails to the top of Timpanogos. This is the Aspen Grove trail. The other trail is the Timpooneke Trail. The Aspen Grove trail initially contains many switchbacks featuring many waterfalls and amazing views. The trail reaches a beautiful meadow area with some small lakes and the well-known Emerald Lake. The trail then stretches towards the saddle across a boulder field where it joins with the Timpooneke trail offering great views of Utah Valley. The trail then travels up the ridge towards the summit.

Travel up Provo Canyon on Highway 189 and turn left at State Road 92, which takes you past Sundance Resort. Continue up the winding road past Aspen Grove Family Camp and there is a parking lot about a half mile beyond Aspen Grove

33 Completed 7 Reviews

I went there July 12, 2013. Starting at 5:30 am. So far hiking to Mt. Timp was one of my greatest hikes ever. The hike is long but it is worthy of any sacrifice because the place has a great scenery. The waterfalls, lake, flowers, animals and the creek's water noise was amazing. I loved sitting on the rocks and listening the water moving under the rocks, so relaxing! Here is a video I made: hope you guys enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y9NyagUk8s

76 Completed 76 Reviews

Of the two trail options to reach Mount Timpanogos this is the short and steeper of them. Very busy trailhead, although the waterfalls are nice at the beginning. I personally prefer the Timpooneke Trail.

25 Completed 11 Reviews

The waterfalls at the beginning if this trail are lovely, but timponokee is a much nicer trail in the long run. Easier grade, more shade, and better scenery.

27 Completed 27 Reviews

One of my favorite hikes! Be aware: this is a very crowded trail especially when Timpooneke is closed. I saw 200 hikers easily. You have to be a social hiker to enjoy this one. The ascent is a long one, and very exposed once you pass the cirque. Emerald Lake is a good lunch spot, and you can also refill on water. Take a moment and enjoy talking with folks from all over the country! There are also some mountain goats near the lake. Be careful crossing the boulder field near the saddle and follow the cairns for the easiest route. Best view of the valley by far. Also, get an early start or you won't find parking!

Person_placeholder

9 Completed 7 Reviews

This review is for Mt. Timpanogos summit from the Timpanooke trailhead. I mainly wanted to write the review to tell people to bring extra water and not rely filtering. In the later summer months you can't rely on running water after a few miles in. Now that I got that out of the way, I have to say that this has been my favorite hike in the area so far. It has everything you want in a great hike and is just the right length where you feel like you accomplished something. Never on this hike is the % grade out of hand, it's a nice constant upward slope. Only downside is that it is crowded, like national park crowded.

21 Completed 3 Reviews

Went up to the shack at the lake this last weekend. There is still a lot of snow from the lake to the ridge. A buddy summited and said it pretty clear from the ridge to summit. On the way up to the shack we crossed 5-6 snow bridges and a couple small snow fields. We crossed paths with 7 other people , 5 from the same group.

Person_placeholder

37 Completed 3 Reviews

Did this hike in late August starting at the Aspen Grove trail head. A friend and I started around 4:00 p.m. and climbed leisurely up to an overlook to the Northeast of Emerald Lake where we hung our hammocks. We had a great view of the lake, the peak, and the trail. I was astounded by the sheer numbers of headlamps that paraded up the trail all night long. I woke around 1:00 a.m. and could see a fairly steady stream of headlamps from Hidden Lakes, up to the shack on the summit. We left our hang around 4:00 a.m. and made our way up to the summit and watched the sunrise. The air was a bit hazy due to wildfires and general smog/pollution, but it was still quite spectacular. I was a bit astonished by both the sheer number of people crowded on the summit and the general lack of preparartion among them. Most were young college students in shorts and t-shirts huddled in groups trying to stay warm in the early morning breeze. One or two had cheap mylar emergency blankets, but they weren't doing much. Most didn't seem to have water, other than a bottle or two. I'm afraid I got many a hostile look when I pulled out my lightweight camp stove and cooked oatmeal and hot cocoa for my friend and I.
We glissaded down the glacier above Emerald Lake (a dangerous undertaking if you are not familiar with self-arrest and have the proper equipment, and training to safely accomplish it, especially considering the large boulder pile at the bottom of the glacier) and hiked back up to our camp. While we were away a herd of mountain goats had moved in and surrounded our hammocks. We crept quietly back into them and took a nice morning nap surrounded by smelly goats. Quite an experience.

There is plenty of water along the trail, so take a good filter and enjoy the taste.

10 Completed 9 Reviews

There is no Mount Timpanogos Trail on this site, but like stated in an earlier post, Mount Timpanogos (Timp) is the hike not Timpanooke. There are two popular trailheads for Timp, Aspen Grove and Timpanooke campground. We just completed the Aspen Grove trail (052). The TH is just past the pay shack on the left. The two lower waterfalls were nice, the colors were great, but there was a slight haze. The hidden lakes are dried up, but Emerald Lake had water so we camped there. Emerald Lake is about 4 hours and 5 miles up; we had overnight packs so we were a little slow. From Emerald Lake the remainder of the hike is only about 2 miles (1.5 hours). There are many switchbacks which make the trail manageable for most, but also make it very long. We met an 80 year old man at the peak and saw several dogs coming down. The round trip in one day seems to be the most common approach but requires planning for about 10 hours of walking and two hours of breaks (for an average person).

Icon_bd29cd1ee2cb2759cd8c5ca1e4da4dd5

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great trail! Have done it almost every year for the last 16. Highly recommend it.

10 Completed 10 Reviews

This entire hike is gorgeous...There is not one dull spot! At the beginning you will cross a couple streams. We saw 4 moose on the way up and lots of mountain goats. The hike is long but not too steep. The trail is fairly steady until the end. After the meadow you start climbing up to the saddle and that is a little steeper! A lot of people only went to the meadow or the saddle but I think going to the summit is worth it! It's pretty steep but the switch backs make it easier! I would suggest to go really early. We arrived at 4:45am and there was only one parking spot left so go early! Plus if u go early then it's not as hot and hopefully you can avoid any rain or thunder storms! If you are in shape or an above average hiker u should be able to make it to the top within less than 4 hours :) have fun!

Support