Yellow Fork Canyon Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 2 trails in Yellow Fork Canyon County Park
true
Yellow Fork Canyon Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Herriman, UT that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash birding hiking mountain biking snowshoeing trail running walking horses forest river views wild flowers wildlife
Hide Map

This is a great trail and is used for hiking, mountain biking, and will often find equestrian riders too. There is a single track trail on the south side of the creek, and the north side is wide enough for 4 or 5 people to walk side by side. There are plenty of other trails along the way.

Stephanie Hardman

1 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful day for hiking. this is an easy trail with fairly good climb to it. Trails shoot off everywhere. trail markings not so good. very quiet today, a couple horses back riders and their dogs, is all.
trail is snow free and dry.
saw several deer as well.

B K Jaworski

185 Completed11 Reviews

This is a fairly safe area to snow shoe when the avalanche danger climbs in the Wasatch to the East.
There is some private property to be respected at the trailhead and the military has property to the south.

Jaime Portillo

16 Completed1 Reviews

3 stars (right now)...I hiked this trail this weekend but the trail is currently very muddy. There is still snow in the ground, but not enough for snow shoes.

Shauna A.

Great winter hiking and snowshoeing. The snow was packed at the beginning of the trail and winter hiking boots were fine. After about 1 mile on the trail there was untouched snow and we donned our snowshoes. We hiked a few of the side trails. The weather was cold but we were toasty in the sun during snowshoeing until we summited the trail to the overlook, then it was fairly breezy and cold. Wear layers, bring water and snacks. I probably would give it less stars as a summer hike but for winter it was easy access to this area and fun with a lot of area to explore. It was more crowded when we returned. Great for canine friends. Also horse friendly.

Jennifer Largin

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great for an easy hike and newbie mountain bikers. I rarely run into people when I go up there. But beware the cows.

Benjamin Thomas

10 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful

Brian Farley

3 Completed2 Reviews

This was a great little hike I actually went on it as a date and it was perfect for that occasion. It did have a lot of unmarked side trails and we saw a few deer. It wasn't a very "hardcore" hike and if you're looking for an adventure I wouldn't recommend it.

Sergio Mendoza

3 Completed1 Reviews

Este es uno de mis lugares favoritos

Zhou (Joe) Y.

Flat, dusty, shaded, and plenty of horse drops, if not in winter; too much dirt to my liking; saw some deers; an OK experience for us. There are some sub-trails along the way that are not marked. They can be confusing for first timers.

Tatiana Noval

Tatiana Noval

Emily Richards

41 Completed4 Reviews

Not well marked with tons of little trails that interconnect. It was a nice nature area, but definitely not worthy of 4 stars.

Marisa B.

Doug Oler

17 Completed15 Reviews

Helen Espinosa

4 Completed3 Reviews

This was more like a walk, but it was beautiful and a lovely way to spend a morning with the family. I ended up jogging the two miles back down for a little extra fun. We all enjoyed this one!

Kevin Dolan

1 Completed1 Reviews

When I got there, there were all kinds of cars and horse trailers. I was afraid it would be very crowed. I took the left side trail, and it was a great walk. All I saw was one horse and rider, and one mountain biker. I thought it was really strange, then realized everyone else was up the right trail. My fitbit said I climbed 84 flights of stairs! Great hike.

Heather Lafontaine

9 Completed8 Reviews

This was actually prettier then what I thought it was going to be. I picked this hike cause it was going to be my first solo hike and it looked really safe and i could take my dogs. My boys ended up going with me and they loved it. My dogs enjoyed it. There was a few other dogs off there leash on the hike. I will be doing this one again for sure !

Jacqueline N Shannon Burton

2 Completed1 Reviews

Took our dogs yesterday and it was a lot of fun and very close to our home. My dogs had a great time getting muddy. This trail will be even better when it dries a little.

Carolyn Perryman

1 Completed1 Reviews

Me, my Husband & our Dog just did this hike today. It's a really good hike. You did have to walk to the first part of the trail. the 2 nd part of the hike is after the 2nd set of park benches. The canyon is about 2-3 miles after that. You might be lunch to see the wolfs! We went on a wim so we didn't pack a lot. It rained and then hailed on our way back. But it was a blast!!!

Mylan Dang

23 Completed22 Reviews

Nice and pretty easy hike. I took my dog bob and he so enjoyed the great outdoors. Dogs are supposed to be on leashes but no one actually uses them. Once you park at the end of Rose Canyon road, you will hike for about 30 minutes before the trail actually starts. The first part of the trail doesn't have much shade or trees, but there are lots of bikers and horse riders that are sharing the trail with you. I seemed to be the only one hiking. Once you hit the trailhead, there's lots of shade. Most of the terrain is pretty flat except towards the top of the mountain is when it obviously becomes steeper and Rocky. At the top, you get s nice lush green overview of herriman and I'm assuming salt lake. We also saw wild turkeys roaming on top of the hill, lizards of course rattling the bushes, and cows drinking the creek water. I got a little freaked out and never seen a cow that just stared at me and my pup, Bob so I power walked faster after saying hello to Betsy and her boo. Nice 6 mile hike round trip.