Zion Narrows Trail

#2 of 72 trails in Zion National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Zion Narrows Trail is a 17.1 mile point-to-point trail located near Hurricane, Utah that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for camping & hiking and is accessible from June until September.

From the North: Travel I-15 south, past Beaver. Exit on Hwy 20. Follow US-89 to Mount Carmel Junction. Take SR-9 to Zion's east entrance.

Zion Park Fees
Private Vehicle $25 for 7 days
Zion Pass $50 annual
Pedestrian/Bike $12 for 7days
Oversized Vehicle Fee 2 x in 7days
Backcountry Permit $10

14 Completed 13 Reviews

USE THE BATHROOMS BEFORE THIS HIKE. From time to time, you'll see human feces smeared on a rock of dry part of river trail and it is DISGUSTING. Your feces could easily contaminate the river water when the water levels rise during rains. A very crowded trail if you start late. Also, not for those who dislike getting wet. All I could hear were complaints from people, but honestly, you're going to get used to the wet hiking shoes. I wore my favorite Tevas for the hike, which made it easier but painful since I had acquired blisters the day before on my hike to Angel's Landing. Whoever wrote the review about walking on greased bowling balls, that was the most accurate description of the river trail. Don't leave your party behind, especially if you're not bringing walking sticks. The river is hard to navigate alone (I fell five times) so you or others are gonna need all the support you get. I guess the walking sticks could've made the trail easier, but it was honestly not that bad, except for the human feces. We made it in about 4-5 miles and turned back due to the cloudiness of the weather and the flash flood warning posted. I hope that I finish this hike someday.

31 Completed 27 Reviews

Seriously the most fun hike I have ever done. A pair of shoes that can get wet and have a heavy sole are necessary. Wear clothing that dries quickly as the water levels change dramatically. You go from ankle deep to swimming. A waterproof backpack is suggested. Many people use walking sticks on this hike because of the rapids. I would really suggest to not bring anyone that is not a strong swimmer on this hike. I also would not say that this is a family friendly hike as it seems a bit dangerous to take children on. The first mile is really crowded but the further you hike the less crowded it gets. Also the more beautiful the scenery gets.

7 Completed 8 Reviews

if hiked from the bottom up for just a few miles, this is a fun family hike.

Person_placeholder

14 Completed 13 Reviews

This is just one of its kind experience. Amazing views, cool breeze, just amazing. We started in the evening around 4pm. We hiked about 3 miles into the river and back. There was a rain and eventual flash flood later!

Start early in the morning if you want to do the entire hike. Take a hiking pole with you. Wear shoes that are NOT waterproof so that you're feet can breath. Waterproof your backpack. Take lots of water. You can swim and dive if you want to. The water levels varied from shin to chest.

Have fun!

Beautiful

Person_placeholder

Nenita Reyes

38 Completed 30 Reviews

Such a hard hike but beautiful. After a while you get over it because its the same thing over and over. It can get crowded but get there early and it will be just fine.

8 Completed 8 Reviews

Absolutely one of my favorite all time hikes. The most challenging thing is that it's basically like walking on greased bowling balls for miles and miles (we did about 12 miles starting at the park, will do top to bottom next time). I see a lot of hikers use walking poles on trails where they're not needed. This is not one of those hike....our walking poles were essential. A lot of people will say that a single stick is fine, and to each his own. For us, having two poles each made it far more enjoyable. We were the first there at sunrise, so we got to enjoy it in solitude. On way back, we saw the throngs of people that will normally be on this trail. Some photos uploaded. Youtube link of our hike here: http://youtu.be/aT4cWEFNfrc

27 Completed 7 Reviews

An amazing hike, but we only experienced it a bit because there was a flash flood warning and we heard thunder in the distance about 0.5 miles into the hike and decided not to risk our lives trying to outrun a storm. It was such a shame because it was the best 0.5 miles ever! We went around the end of May and the water was up to my knees in some parts. But it was excellent. Wear good waterproof shoes that have a lot of grip because the stones in the water can be slippery. I would definitely recommend this trail in the summer because the water is cool and there is plenty of shade. Ah! I wish it wasn't raining when we went to Zion!

Support