Zion Narrows Trail

Springdale, UT
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Zion Narrows Trail is a 17.1 mile point-to-point trail located near Hurricane, Utah that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for camping & hiking and is accessible from June until September.

From the North: Travel I-15 south, past Beaver. Exit on Hwy 20. Follow US-89 to Mount Carmel Junction. Take SR-9 to Zion's east entrance.

Zion Park Fees
Private Vehicle $25 for 7 days
Zion Pass $50 annual
Pedestrian/Bike $12 for 7days
Oversized Vehicle Fee 2 x in 7days
Backcountry Permit $10

5 Completed 3 Reviews

Best hike ever. I went with my three kids ages 6-12. We just did the bottom up for about 4 miles roundtrip (2 miles in the river). The rented shoes, socks and poles were great to have. The further you get up the river the more solitude there is. There are some deep spots and some swift spots but my youngest was fine with a little hand holding. The temps were around 110 so this was a great way to spend the day.

Picture?width=50&height=50

13 Completed 4 Reviews

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done. The narrows is something special. You have to see it to believe it.

Person_placeholder

19 Completed 6 Reviews

My son (he was 15) and I did the narrows trek from the top down. We got incredibly lucky and we're able to score a permit without a reservation. YES, you need a walking stick(s) if you're doing the overnight trip. Sure you can do it without them, but why? It was truly breath taking! We happened to be there last year when we had the giant full moon and it was staggering to see the moon pass between the canyon walls. It's one thing to see the sunlight reflecting along the walls, bouncing off the water... Moonlight adds a whole new dimension to the experience. Beautiful! Not too difficult but don't treat the trek like a walk in the park either. It is a wet hike and the wrong shoes can ruin it. If you're comfortable renting that is a viable option. I'm partial to my well worn hiking boots and I was fine with those. It will get a little chilly and cold wet feet can wreck your day. As far as gear goes, it really is all about the shoes... How wet can your feet tolerate being? Wet = cold and cold can really suck! Choose your wet clothing gear wisely, it can make or break your trip. Honestly though, whatever you choose or fail to consider won't matter. The trail is short enough to power through whatever ails you and your surroundings will make you forget any ailment! There are very few things in life that compare to a bed for the night in The Narrows... The hike from the bottom up is NOT the same as the backpack/overnight hike from the top down. The crowds of people that clog the river from the bottom up day hike are nonexistent when you go from the top down. You'll hit these crowds at the end of you trek and be thankful you got to experience the canyon without them. Certainly you can do the top to bottom hike in a day but why would you?

8 Completed 7 Reviews

If you go to Zion you HAVE to hike the Narrows. The only issue is that you cannot hike the trail certain times of the year. Best time is summer or late spring so the water is not cold. Wear water shoes or hiking shoes you don't mind messing up. Water proof everything you take because you will probably fall into the water or it might flash flood. I've don't this hike 4 times and its flash flooded on me once. It's amazing how fast the water will rise. If it doesn't, the water will get about waist deep (I'm 5'2"). It's a must do but prepare to get wet!

35 Completed 11 Reviews

May 2013. Even though I'd visited Zion National Park at least five times, I had never had the opportunity to hike the Narrows until my most recent trip in the spring. And just when I thought nothing could match Angels Landing, I went on this hike. Wow.

Because it was a holiday weekend (Memorial Day), and because there was a large group of us, all renting gear, it was not until midday when we got on the shuttle. The shuttle took about an hour to the Temple of Sinawava (final) stop, and then we had to hike to the edge of the water. In short, make sure you start this hike *very early* in the day, because even if you do, with the rentals, park entrance, shuttle, and hike, you might not get started on the riverwalk part of the hike until mid-morning.

We went up to and beyond the "Wall Street" part, in about two hours. I had expected that the scenery might drastically change there, but it didn't. No matter; it's all beautiful! Absolutely the most fun I've had on in a hike in ages. This hike takes a while, and that's good; I imagine you could easily lose your balance on the slippery rocks and roll or twist your ankle. Take your time, get the proper equipment (flip flops or even Tevas are not a good idea) and enjoy! Wear your swimsuit, like me, and take a dip too. I can't wait to be back for this amazing hike.

58 Completed 16 Reviews

A friend and I hiked this route from the top-down (17 miles) in one day, which took ten hours and twenty minutes. If I were to hike this route again I would definitely take two days. As a day hike in mid-September, when the sun is only up for twelve hours, you are racing the sun to get back to civilization by nightfall. Below Deep Creek, the deeper water and bigger stones make hiking more arduous. Canyoneering shoes are essential. I wore Chaco sandals, thinking that only pansies and the gullible need special rental gear for a day hike, and I paid for it. The canyon was inspirational; I took over 230 photos. The canyon seemed to improve around every bend, even when you thought it couldn't possibly get any better.

87 Completed 84 Reviews

Two suggestions: First, if you're hiking upstream from the Riverside Walk trail, get there bright and early to beat the insane crowds. My wife and I got there on the first shuttle of the morning and enjoyed a beautiful nearly solitary hike. We were shocked by the size of the crowds on the way back down the river.

Second, bring proper gear. You'll be wading through water most of the way, so wear appropriate shoes (I was wearing New Balance Minimus), and store your electronics and food in a dry bag.

Icon_419dfc6e86b16b180b07e7240371c88d

14 Completed 14 Reviews

We did this trek straight though in one day... About 17 miles starting at chamberlain ranch. Wow it was amazing. Very beautiful! Unfortunately soon after entering the main canyon I got motion sickness!!!!! Watching all of the water rushing past my feet while trying to keep my footing actually made me sick! I spent the next 10 hours barfing! It was terrible!!!!! I am prone too toon sickness and if I had known this would be an issue I would have planned for it ( Dramamine, ginger chews, sea bands, etc) I am very disappointed to have felt so crappy during this hike because it is so beautiful and I had been looking forward to it for so long!!
Don't let this stop u ... Just be prepared if motion sickness is an issue for you.
It is a long, hard hike to to in one day. Even the very fit ones in our group were very worn out. Walking on boulders in the water uses muscles you never knew you had!!! We were all walking like we were 90 the next day.

20 Completed 5 Reviews

This is a wonderful hike, note that you will have to wade through the water to cross the river several times. Wear water shoes!

Person_placeholder

Teri Smart

5 Completed 2 Reviews

This was the most beautiful hike I have done to date! The colors were amazing and following the river was refreshing and challenging at times due to rocks! Did the overnight and loved the night fall as it was so peaceful and sleeping alone the river was relaxing . Hope to do it again!

Support