Zion Narrows Trail

#2 of 72 trails in Zion National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Zion Narrows Trail is a 17.1 mile point-to-point trail located near Hurricane, Utah that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for camping & hiking and is accessible from June until September.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Michele Whisenhunt (746)

36 Completed34 Reviews

I did not actually COMPLETE this trail, but I cannot find a way to chose partially completed. My daughter and I hiked this trail "from the bottom up" as the guidebook says. We started out on the riverside trail then headed into the water and hiked for about three hours; past the entrance into Orderville Canyon and into the area where the canyon is very narrow and dark. Then we stopped, snacked, and waded back. It was a lot of fun! There were a quite a lot of people, but most people were considerate and friendly. We probably hiked closer to ten miles total. We started about 11 and made it back by around 5. We rented "canyoneering" shoes and a walking stick from a nearby rental shop. It was definitely worth the rental. I did "fall" in the river twice, but it was all a part of the fun. The water isn't very deep in August, except for a few places, but it does move quickly and in some places the rocky bottom was difficult to manipulate. Not an easy trail, but not too difficult either. Really an unusual experience.

Deanna Edgar (71)

3 Completed3 Reviews

This has been my favorite hike so far, we rented dry pants and shoes. i would get the dry pants again but i would use my own Hiking shoes, and rent the hiking stick so you don't ruin your own its worth it or buy one of the wood ones. There was a lot of people in shorts and would just hike a miles in or so. It is amazing and well worth it. I went at the Beginning of May 2014. The water was cool in the 50's but not bad. It is moderately difficult we were in ankle high to hip high water, we took the split about 3.5 miles in, you will have to climb up rocks in waist high water I let my partner go up first and he helped me you only can go a little ways up before you have to do some more tricky hiking. I LOVE this hike cant wait to go back!!!

Theresa Schrider (430)

14 Completed7 Reviews

By far the most incredible hike and one of the most amazing things I've ever done! The whole hike is absolutely stunning I could not stop taking pictures. I went 3 hours up the river to one of the narrowest points of the canyon and looped back for a lil over a 6 hour hike. It's a strenuous trek through the river but I loved the challenge of it. Here is a few tips for everyone wanting to tackle this hike: wear closed toed hiking/waterproof shoes (saw many barefoot or with flip flops and were miserable), bring some sort of walking stick you will need the support because the river gets deep in areas and is very slippery the whole time, and also protect any electronics from water damage because you most likely will trip or fall at some point. Best hike I've ever done.

Marcos Bermudez (115)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Did it yesterday, was great, we took the first shuttle of the day, and were the only ones doing this trail that early. That meant that the whole way we saw nobody. Took amazing photos. On the way back there were tons of people at the bottom just swimming and relaxing. It was semi-difficult to get around all the people who only went to see the river, and waited about 15 minutes for a down shuttle. Other than the end it was a great trail!

Matt Nolan (577)

31 Completed31 Reviews

One of the best

John Kuhn (112)

9 Completed1 Reviews

Probably one of the most exciting trails I have been on yet. Great views and lots of challenges

Brittany Lee (371)

14 Completed14 Reviews

USE THE BATHROOMS BEFORE THIS HIKE. From time to time, you'll see human feces smeared on a rock of dry part of river trail and it is DISGUSTING. Your feces could easily contaminate the river water when the water levels rise during rains. A very crowded trail if you start late. Also, not for those who dislike getting wet. All I could hear were complaints from people, but honestly, you're going to get used to the wet hiking shoes. I wore my favorite Tevas for the hike, which made it easier but painful since I had acquired blisters the day before on my hike to Angel's Landing. Whoever wrote the review about walking on greased bowling balls, that was the most accurate description of the river trail. Don't leave your party behind, especially if you're not bringing walking sticks. The river is hard to navigate alone (I fell five times) so you or others are gonna need all the support you get. I guess the walking sticks could've made the trail easier, but it was honestly not that bad, except for the human feces. We made it in about 4-5 miles and turned back due to the cloudiness of the weather and the flash flood warning posted. I hope that I finish this hike someday.

Jen Holiday (879)

31 Completed28 Reviews

Seriously the most fun hike I have ever done. A pair of shoes that can get wet and have a heavy sole are necessary. Wear clothing that dries quickly as the water levels change dramatically. You go from ankle deep to swimming. A waterproof backpack is suggested. Many people use walking sticks on this hike because of the rapids. I would really suggest to not bring anyone that is not a strong swimmer on this hike. I also would not say that this is a family friendly hike as it seems a bit dangerous to take children on. The first mile is really crowded but the further you hike the less crowded it gets. Also the more beautiful the scenery gets.

Sean Brian (207)

8 Completed9 Reviews

if hiked from the bottom up for just a few miles, this is a fun family hike.

Anil Yanamandra (268)

14 Completed13 Reviews

This is just one of its kind experience. Amazing views, cool breeze, just amazing. We started in the evening around 4pm. We hiked about 3 miles into the river and back. There was a rain and eventual flash flood later! Start early in the morning if you want to do the entire hike. Take a hiking pole with you. Wear shoes that are NOT waterproof so that you're feet can breath. Waterproof your backpack. Take lots of water. You can swim and dive if you want to. The water levels varied from shin to chest. Have fun!

Support