Appalachian Trail: Snickers Gap to Blackburn Trail Center

HARD
#1 of 1 trails in Bearden Park
Appalachian Trail: Snickers Gap to Blackburn Trail Center is a 5.5 mile out and back trail located near Bluemont, VA that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round.

camping hiking trail running views
Hide Map

Will Donohoe

3 Completed3 Reviews

Russ Pinard

3 Completed3 Reviews

We backpacked from Blackburn trail center to Ashby Gap through the Rollercoasters in two days. Approx 5500 feet of vertical and carrying 30+ pound packs made this trail challenging. I'm over 50 in ok shape and it took two 11 mile days with 7 hours of hiking each day. There aren't huge mountains but the continuous up and down adds up. We took our two Labradors and they made it ok; very tired like their owners. The trail is well maintained and well marked. There is a mix of rocky, sandy, smooth dirt, gravelly, small stream crossings, great overlooks...basically a small sample of everything you can expect to see on the AT. There were many good water sources, shelters and campsites. Overall I enjoyed the challenge of completing this section and imagine it would be much easier doing an out and back day hike, but then you miss the opportunity to enjoy an amazing sunset and sunrise camping on one of the overlooks.

Donna Basinger

4 Completed1 Reviews

We did this trail last summer on a perfect hiking day.Challenging but doable for our 65+ ladies. I want to plan another similar hike on AT in April. How is this trail different than the Snickers Gap to Blackburn Trail Center?

Muzaffar Zaffar

13 Completed11 Reviews

Great up and down , up and down workout.
Hight is only 1200 to 1500 feet but not 4800 feet. All trails add wrong height for this track.
Beautiful view from top in WV once we are in that area.

Bharadwaj Ramesh

6 Completed4 Reviews

This is a fun hike. I would personally say its not a a very strenuous hike even though I am just a beginner hiker.

I also dont think there was a 4800ft elevation - can someone please comment on this information.

This was definitely not a loop trail, I am not sure why it says so - its very misleading. For all those who are planning on hiking this one - please be advised that its about 7 miles one way. So if you want to get back to your car parked on Route 7 its about a 14 mile hike and you will ve to retrace your steps.

Something I found out at the end of the hike is that the ATC offers shuttle service. Look up the ATC website for more information - you might ve to contact them a week or so in advance to use this service.

I hope this information helps a few hikers and please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Stephanie Abrahaam

2 Completed1 Reviews

Jeremy Arnold

7 Completed1 Reviews

Nice

Sarah Kyle

Cecilia Martinez

131 Completed17 Reviews

Agreed that poles and boots are a good idea due to the small rocks. I used my microspikes for the ice/snow on certain portions of the hike. Lots of gentle up-and-down in the terrain. My big dog did really well with frequent water breaks (every 30 mins). I love hiking the AT in the winter because it's not crowded. Great workout!

Doug Barth

1 Completed1 Reviews

Get to this trail at the parking lot just north of 7. Easy access. Nice up and down hike. You can get a worthwhile hike in 30 minutes if you are in a hurry. Or, if you have more time, you can go up and down for hours and get a great workout. Good views. Never too crowded.

ben sporcic

3 Completed2 Reviews

A great hike, the only problem I had is it says it's a loop. I could not find the looping part and had to back track a few times. Other than that very good. Also very rocky.

Linda Schlosser

1 Completed1 Reviews

I love this hike. Have done it many times with friends and family. Once even had an office brain storming session on this trail. For whomever asked about dogs on the trail: one, young, and in shape animal might work if you went midweek in cooler weather. This hike has a lot, and I mean a whole bunch, of rocks which could be hard on dogs feet. VA summers are really humid, there is one small stream along the way. multiple animals might be difficult since the AT traffic can be frequent. I personally wouldn't do it.

I.m. P.

Great hike.

Leonard Gude

81 Completed11 Reviews

There are only a few parking spaces at the trail head on this section of the AT and we were lucky enough to get the last one. The trail is very rocky and challenging at the point where it steeply drops down about a third of the way to the Crescent Rock Overlook. Some of the other hikers on the trail gave up and turned around at this point. The view from the Crescent Rock Overlook makes it worth the effort to get there. After you finish the hike, the restaurant down the road at horseshoe curve is a good place to stop for lunch.

Kathy Fries

8 Completed3 Reviews

We definitely enjoyed the trail. Due to rocks & leaf debris boots & poles are a good idea.

Cecilia Martinez

131 Completed17 Reviews

For those of you who have done this portion of the AT...is it suitable for dogs? I'd really to do this hike with my german shepherds, but not if it's dangerous for them. I appreciate your advice!

Dane Rude

36 Completed6 Reviews

This was a nice, medium length hike with a lot of elevation gain. It is really rocky so make sure you are prepared with shoes you won't roll an ankle in.

Had trouble actually finding the trail-head. When you are on Rt. 7 go over the crest of the hill and then make a right on Pine Grove (?) and the parking will be immediately on your right.

Luis Silva

1 Completed1 Reviews

Make sure you have some good hiking boots. A very rocky but extremely rewarding hike. Get there early to avoid a lot of trail traffic. The AT can be a beautiful experience!

Lisa Holliday

5 Completed4 Reviews

Nick: This hike is on the Appalachian Trail so backpacking it is well, common. Nick there are a few established campsites just north of Crescent Rock Overlook (sometimes called Raven Rocks). Go north from there and basically at the intersection of the Cell Tower side trail and the AT you will see them on your left. Sometimes local kids are using them. Also you can camp or hostel at the Blackburn Trail Center! Always fun during thru hiker season. Then passed there all the way harpers ferry there is the David Lesser Shelter, and u can throw down there as well.

Miles Oliver

12 Completed3 Reviews

Hiked this route on 2/18/13 with a good friend of mine. We started off around 9am after making the trip to Blackburn Trail center to drop off a vehicle.

It was about 20 degrees when we started but the sun was out and we were hoping the temp would climb. This was my very first time with hiking poles and with the rockyness of the trail having them for stability was a good choice to buy them.

The beginning section of the trail, called the "Roller Coaster" for good reason with lots of switchbacks and down and up in elevation. It didn't really level out until around 4 miles into the hike. We only saw 4 people on the entire trek and it was a strenuous hike and took us about 6 hours instead of the suggested 4.5.

I'd recommend the hike.