Appalachian Trail: Snickers Gap to Blackburn Trail Center

#1 of 1 trails in Bearden Park
Appalachian Trail: Snickers Gap to Blackburn Trail Center is a 7.3 mile loop trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

7.3 miles Loop 4800 feet
hiking trail running views
Hide Map

Muzaffar Zaffar

3 Completed3 Reviews

Great up and down , up and down workout.
Hight is only 1200 to 1500 feet but not 4800 feet. All trails add wrong height for this track.
Beautiful view from top in WV once we are in that area.

Bharadwaj Ramesh

6 Completed4 Reviews

This is a fun hike. I would personally say its not a a very strenuous hike even though I am just a beginner hiker.

I also dont think there was a 4800ft elevation - can someone please comment on this information.

This was definitely not a loop trail, I am not sure why it says so - its very misleading. For all those who are planning on hiking this one - please be advised that its about 7 miles one way. So if you want to get back to your car parked on Route 7 its about a 14 mile hike and you will ve to retrace your steps.

Something I found out at the end of the hike is that the ATC offers shuttle service. Look up the ATC website for more information - you might ve to contact them a week or so in advance to use this service.

I hope this information helps a few hikers and please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Stephanie Abrahaam

2 Completed1 Reviews

Jeremy Arnold

5 Completed1 Reviews

Sarah Kyle

Cecilia Martinez

130 Completed17 Reviews

Agreed that poles and boots are a good idea due to the small rocks. I used my microspikes for the ice/snow on certain portions of the hike. Lots of gentle up-and-down in the terrain. My big dog did really well with frequent water breaks (every 30 mins). I love hiking the AT in the winter because it's not crowded. Great workout!

Doug Barth

1 Completed1 Reviews

Get to this trail at the parking lot just north of 7. Easy access. Nice up and down hike. You can get a worthwhile hike in 30 minutes if you are in a hurry. Or, if you have more time, you can go up and down for hours and get a great workout. Good views. Never too crowded.

ben sporcic

3 Completed2 Reviews

A great hike, the only problem I had is it says it's a loop. I could not find the looping part and had to back track a few times. Other than that very good. Also very rocky.

Linda Schlosser

1 Completed1 Reviews

I love this hike. Have done it many times with friends and family. Once even had an office brain storming session on this trail. For whomever asked about dogs on the trail: one, young, and in shape animal might work if you went midweek in cooler weather. This hike has a lot, and I mean a whole bunch, of rocks which could be hard on dogs feet. VA summers are really humid, there is one small stream along the way. multiple animals might be difficult since the AT traffic can be frequent. I personally wouldn't do it.

I.m. P.