Old Rag Trail

HARD
#1 of 97 trails in Shenandoah National Park
true
Old Rag Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sperryville, VA that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, rock climbing, and camping and is accessible from June until September.

no dogs camping hiking rock climbing walking forest river views rocky scramble
Hide Map

This hike is strenuous and very busy. It is pretty hard climb, but when you make it about 3/4 of the way up, then you have some rock scrambling that makes your pace a little slower but gives you a change in what you are doing. There are alot of switchbacks, so you will not be going straight up, but the trails are still at a steep grade. The descent, which is a longer distance than the ascent, is a much more gradual grade, ending on a fire trail.

Phillip Springer

1 Completed0 Reviews

Old Rag is a great challenging hike. We hiked the circuit on april 8th. The Hike up was a reasonably steep grade w/ Switchbacks. The rock scramble was a lot of fun. There were a some people but it was not crowded. Although this would be a beautiful fall hike, we were warned that is also the busiest time for this hike.

Kenneth Jennifer

4 Completed0 Reviews

The trail wasn't too bad. It was a moderate hike with a beautiful outlook and many side attractions aside from the trail.

-K&J

Grace Poirier

1 Completed0 Reviews

We did this on a Saturday and the line to get up the rock scramble slowed us up a bit. We have been doing Old Rag for 6yrs now and find that even on the days we are slowed up its still our favorite hike. Our kids were 6 & 8 on the first hike and now are 12 & 14 and we all love the challenge. The climb does require endurance.

Justin Lotak

2 Completed0 Reviews

One of the best trails I've been on in/near Shenandoah NP. We started about 2 hours prior to sunrise and only saw a few other people on the way up or at the summit. On the way down, we made it back to the trailhead just in time to see two busses of tourists that came to do the hike. The rock scramble at the top could be challenging, especially in the dark and if there are icy conditions - but it was also a lot of fun. And the view for the sunrise was about as good as it gets.

Russ Spriggs

10 Completed2 Reviews

Awe... (wait for it) ...some! The rock scramble near the top was a blast and challenging. Great trip, can't wait to do it again. I did it on a Thursday so we only saw maybe a dozen other hikers the whole day. I don't think I'd ever attempt on the weekend because of the potential for crowds. Very popular trail.

Caps D

1 Completed0 Reviews

The rock scramble was no joke. Amazing!

Joe Smith

15 Completed0 Reviews

This is by far the most rewarding and challenging hike I have ever been on! I loved every minute of it!

Megan Shulman

4 Completed0 Reviews

Challenging but very fun. Beautiful view from the summit

Nick Floyd

Rob Sipes

1 Completed0 Reviews

So the site is very misleading if not outright lying. Sign up to down load the map. So i signed up. Then, to download the map, pay me $30 per year. No. I have other means of getting the map. Thank you for your 'honesty' and bait and switch. Nicely done. You fooled me today.

Robert Love

9 Completed0 Reviews

Liz Hensel

3 Completed0 Reviews

Katie Steinbach

11 Completed0 Reviews

Sarfraz Durrani

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike! It snowed an inch yesterday which elevated the level of difficulty but at the same time made it that much more memorable.

Bethani Thompson

2 Completed1 Reviews

I did this trail as my first one with friends and although it was really difficult for me, I found that the view and the adventure was totally worth it. Once I get used to more hikes than I will definitely conquer this trail again.

Alina Hollis

Amazing!

Josh D

It was great!

Muzaffar Zaffar

13 Completed5 Reviews

Good workout in cold weather.

Mike Marshall

2 Completed2 Reviews

Muhammad Khokhar

5 Completed1 Reviews

Not just a trail but rock climbing too, lots of fun!