Old Rag Trail

#1 of 140 trails in Shenandoah National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Old Rag Trail is an 7 mile round trip trail or 8.9 mile loop trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a river and is only recommended for serious hiker. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, rock climbing & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Claire Morrison (59)

4 Completed2 Reviews

This has been my favorite hike so far. It is very challenging but very rewarding. The view is simply amazing. We were high enough up to see fog rolling through the valleys below. Make sure you bring a poncho. The weather at the top of the mountain doesn't always reflect the forecast. Also bring plenty of water. There are also rock scrambles that require a bit of climbing and agility. I went during the summer my first time but plan on going again this summer and hopefully in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Chris Combs (153)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Brian P. (72)

7 Completed1 Reviews

My favorite hike in this region

Andrew Geers (189)

7 Completed7 Reviews

I had significant clouds and light rain throughout my hike but it was still beautiful and one of the best and more challenging hikes I've done. Definitely planning on going back with some nicer weather to really take in the views. I had read reviews about the amount of people that are on the trail and planned on going in the middle of the week to minimize it. I was still surprised how many groups I encountered on a rainy Wednesday. But don't let that deter you!

Jeffrey Shulenburg (224)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Being a bit shorter than the average guy and a bit bigger around than the average guy, this was a tough hike. Very rewarding though. Rock scrambles nearly did me in, but it was the long flat road in the end that nearly broke me.

Michelle DeStefano (1237)

25 Completed9 Reviews

This was the most physically challenging hike of my life! That being said, it was a blast! Yes, it was crowded, but personally I didn't mind the people and chatting as we went along. The rock scramble is no joke. You have to climb and jump, sometimes close to an edge. Did the circuit loop so we followed the fire road, quite an exhausting day! One of my favorite hikes so far, and excited to do it again some day!

jerry schultz (69)

34 Completed1 Reviews

Drove from Cleveland in 6 Hours . After 2 days and 12 miles at Stricklers Knob camping , we did this hike in 6 hours with lots of breaks and 45 minutes at the top . We took the fire road down feeling way to tired to try the rock scramble again . WOW ! This is a hike not to be missed , you will not be disappointed . I was there day after memorial day and just a few hikers on trail , not crowded at all . Actually planned trip to hike this on Tues. , after very , very busy holiday . Met another hiker on Strickelers , saying they were turning cars away from the overcrowded parking lots . Plan accordingly .

Rajiv S. (108)

Good hike. Great workout. Great views

Jeff Whitlock (99)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Too many people on this trail, recommend arriving very early to try and get ahead of the crowds.

Alyson Fox (176)

6 Completed5 Reviews

One of my all-time favorite hikes. I've done the whole loop twice now. The rock scrambles are definitely my favorite part, but be prepared to climb. We went early in the morning in January, so we didn't run into a problem with crowds. Not a hike for dogs, as rock scrambles would be unmanageable. The view at the fake summit as well as the real summit is breathtaking. Highly recommend this hike.

Support