Old Rag Trail

#1 of 140 trails in Shenandoah National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Old Rag Trail is an 7 mile round trip trail or 8.9 mile loop trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a river and is only recommended for serious hiker. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, rock climbing & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Malcolm Andrews (101)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Good workout. Some bouldering required. All day activity. Not suitable for dogs.

Valerie S. (49)

Such an amazing hike! My brother lives in Virginia and invited my sister and I out there to visit. Old Rag was on is to-do list for all of us. My sister and I are NOT experienced hikers by any means. I will be honest, this trail was a lot harder for me than anyone else in the group. I am 5'4 and had a hard time navigating some of the drops and climbs. More so than my taller siblings! It was a hard hike but so rewarding and beautiful. Take a ton of water!

Thanos Ntounis (263)

2 Completed3 Reviews

It was really good. We enjoyed it. Please note pets not allowed. Get a lot of water!! Good shoes and good pants that can take rock friction.

Thanos Ntounis (263)

2 Completed3 Reviews

Great!

Robert Waugh (81)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My wife and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary on old rag. We were not seasoned hikers. This was our first one. We had good gear and good company. Tough but able. Scary and beautiful. Pushed us but the reward was worth it. Just like marriage.

Martina White (48)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Kelly S. (124)

I was a bit worried but I made it. The hike was pretty easy but the rock scramble was difficult for me. I'm 54. On our Hands and knees a couple of times, we had to take off our packs twice. Gloves would have been helpful. Glad I didn't wear stiff hiking boots. Making sure you have sure footing each step will get you through it fine. Agility is a must. Make sure you where pants that allow you to do big lunges and can take sliding down rocks on your butt.

Desirae Marie (112)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Dan Dowse (103)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike and definitely challenging in the steady rain with a 40# pack. Caution- the rock can get very slippery when wet. A few of the climbs were too tight for the pack and I had to remove it and press it up to the next ledge. Unable to enjoy the views because the summit was in the clouds but still amazing. Great day to go because of the weather, a Monday and mid-afternoon start. I only passed 7 other hikers on the loop trail.

Charles chandler (36)

great hike
we went during the week so there were not too many other hikers - I strongly recommend going at off peak times to fully enjoy the awesome views

Support