Old Rag Trail

#1 of 140 trails in Shenandoah National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Old Rag Trail is an 7 mile round trip trail or 8.9 mile loop trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a river and is only recommended for serious hiker. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, rock climbing & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Justin C. (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

The excellent rock scramble and 360 degree views made this hike the most enjoyable and rewarding one I've found in VA thus far.

Carolyn McCormick (127)

7 Completed6 Reviews

Heather Hamilton-Brown (495)

13 Completed4 Reviews

Ryan Collins (45)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great day. Awesome views. a bit of traffic even for a Thursday.

Chandrika S. (39)

Spectacular views. Rock scrambling was fun!

Daniel Farrell Jr. (441)

15 Completed6 Reviews

Favorite hike on the east. ROCK SCRAMBLE!!

Claire Morrison (59)

4 Completed2 Reviews

This has been my favorite hike so far. It is very challenging but very rewarding. The view is simply amazing. We were high enough up to see fog rolling through the valleys below. Make sure you bring a poncho. The weather at the top of the mountain doesn't always reflect the forecast. Also bring plenty of water. There are also rock scrambles that require a bit of climbing and agility. I went during the summer my first time but plan on going again this summer and hopefully in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Chris Combs (153)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Brian P. (72)

7 Completed1 Reviews

My favorite hike in this region

Andrew Geers (189)

7 Completed7 Reviews

I had significant clouds and light rain throughout my hike but it was still beautiful and one of the best and more challenging hikes I've done. Definitely planning on going back with some nicer weather to really take in the views. I had read reviews about the amount of people that are on the trail and planned on going in the middle of the week to minimize it. I was still surprised how many groups I encountered on a rainy Wednesday. But don't let that deter you!

Support