Old Rag Trail

#1 of 140 trails in Shenandoah National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Old Rag Trail is an 7 mile round trip trail or 8.9 mile loop trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a river and is only recommended for serious hiker. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, rock climbing & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Victoria Dunbar (239)

7 Completed5 Reviews

Awesome hike, awesome views, awesome rock scramble.

1 Completed3 Reviews

Forgot to give it my stars.....

1 Completed3 Reviews

Forgot to give it my stars.....

1 Completed3 Reviews

I call it a "jungle gym for adults".
I've hiked Old Rag at least 8 times and enjoy it every time. I love taking people who have never been especially people with little to no hiking experience. It is easily my favorite hike in the Mid-Atlantic. A lot of people complain that they don't like it because it can be too crowded. But I've never heard anyone complain about the actual hike it self. I agree there can be a lot of people on the trail sometimes but if you can go during mid week (between Tues and Thurs) it's not nearly as bad. Aside from any erosion potential, the amount of people don't bother me too much because if it's such a great hike,... why shouldn't it be popular? Like people who don't like a band solely because they became too popular. If their music is good, why shouldn't a lot of people experience it.
The hike itself is awesome and fairly strenuous . I find the trail itself before you reach the rocks to be harder than the rock part of the climb. Mainly because some parts of the trail going upwards are steep and I personally move slower on inclines as I don't do well with most things cardio.The rock part of the climb is the fun part. Not real strenuous but there are some parts where you need to take your time and analyze your next move before you make it. If you can do this hike at the peak of the foliage on a beautiful sunny day,... that will be your reward for completing an intense hike. I'd hit it perfect twice and there is very little I've ever seen to match it's beauty.
While at the top, play around on the boulders and enjoy the views. If the boulders are wet be really careful, they're slick. If you loved the rock part of the climb, go back the way you came and do it again the opposite way. But if you enjoy seeing things you haven't yet, continue on the circuit and it'll loop you around back to where you started. Parts of the trail on the other side are really pretty. If you have at least 2 full solid days (3 so you can really enjoy it), go backpacking and connect yourself to the White Oak Canyon Trail and hike that. Another beautiful hike. I actually prefer White Oak Canyon when it's raining and Old Rag when it's sunny and beautiful.
Old Rag is a great 1st "intense" hike. If you're hiking has always been casual easier hikes in the woods along streams, etc. yet you've always yearned to do an "intense" hike,..... make Old Rag your first. If you don't end up enjoying it, then harder intense hikes aren't meant for you. And if you go on a cloudy or rainy day you're not going to reap the rewards of the views from your long day. Try to at least make your first Old Rag hike on a beautiful sunny day so you get the full experience.
Happy Hiking

Ashley So (193)

2 Completed2 Reviews

My friend and I hiked Old Rag a couple of days ago on November 25th, 2014. The weather was perfect: partly sunny and in the 50's. Not quite sure what to expect, we powered our way up the Ridge Trail (huffing and puffing but determined to keep our pace). At the top, the views were incredible. We also went off the trail (shh) and climbed some boulders to get the full 360 degree view.

When we started at 9 AM, we saw a two smaller groups of 2 and 3 people and a larger group of about 5 people. There were about 10 cars in the parking lot. When we got back to the lot at 12:45 AM, there were about 30 cars in the lot, and we saw about 5 more groups on our way down the trail. Overall, I truly enjoyed this hike. The trails were very clearly marked, challenging but very doable, and the panoramas were amazing, especially since the fall foliage made the closer mountains glow red. I am still shocked that we were back at the car in 3 hours and 45 minutes, including time spent off the trail and eating lunch. I can't wait to bring the rest of my friends and family to do this hike!!

Mary Garrett (142)

2 Completed1 Reviews

We hiked Old Rag Friday 11.7.14, with our 8. 10, & 13 year olds. It was awesome! Definitely hard and strenuous and scary at times, but well worth it. Next time we will spend more time enjoying the views on our way up, as the summit wasn't as rewarding as we had hoped. It took us 6 hours and 30 minutes., with lots of time for pictures and snacks.

Sebastian Meid (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Area beautiful, trail well kept. However...

In all the reviews I've read, there was no warning of climbing sheer rock faces, nor was there any indication that there was an entrance fee. Most of the pictures indicate things you'd see rather than hike through, such as the rocky summit that's hell to get to if you've got 40 pounds on your back and weren't expecting the climb. The other gripe I have is the "No Fires" policy. You cannot be a serious place for camping and forbid fire. Especially when there's bears around-- our campsite was raided by one, he took my friend's backpack (NO FOOD IN IT!) which had his clothes and car keys in it. We came just in time to scare him away, so he at least left my friend's boots. No fires? B.S.!

Now, there IS a rest station, and that's the only place you can make a fire. My advice: Don't go camping here. Hiking? Sure, go for it. But don't camp here if you like to pick your own campsites, and especially not if you're someone that likes having a nice campfire.

Overall a tremendously fun area, fairly challenging with heavy packs. I advise you to prepare for rock scrambles, and bring gloves. Bring a first aid kit just in case. Bring paracord. The reason it's a 4/5 is the entrance fee (what a horrible ripoff, it's a national park, a public area). Bring money.

Tim Natoli (160)

17 Completed3 Reviews

Excellent day hike. would not recommend children. Plan your hike on a dry sunny day, rocks can get slick.

Jenn Majeski (171)

6 Completed3 Reviews

Favorite trail yet! Difficult - would not recommend it for groups with children

Rakesh Shah (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Difficult but it was worth it !!

Support