Old Rag Weakley Hollow Fire Road

#3 of 3 trails in Shenandoah Wilderness
Long and winding road, uphill hike, clean easy to follow trail.

9.13 miles Out & Back 2272 feet
Hide Map

The typical route to the Old Rag Summit is via the Summit Ridge Trail. Most hikers climb the ridge, and then return to their cars via the Weakley Hollow fire road. For this particular trip, our group intended to do some class 5.0 climbing near the summit, and then camp near the mountain, so we took the fire road instead of the ridge trail.

The fire road ends after about 2 miles, and connects with the Saddle trail which consists of a series of switchbacks to the summit. The scenery along the fire road is very wooded, but as you approach the Saddle trail, you will have some nice vistas.

I find this hike to be a bit tiring because it is uphill and direct the whole way. I prefer the ridge trail which has a balance of hiking and climbing to keep my mind off of fatique.

All in all this is a good trek for someone that wants to bag the Old Rag summit, and not get their knees dirty.

Andrew Walck

31 Completed23 Reviews

Great for those unable to scramble the obstacles of old rag. The first time I complete d old rag was up the "back way". To be honest most people doing the normal old rag trail should be on this trail but oh well. In the end, anyone here would tell you the normal old rag trail kicks butt over this but if you're a weak hiker or can't do the rock scrambles then this is an alternate way to the beautiful summit.

Nora Field

33 Completed1 Reviews

Took fire road trail Jan 5 packed snow enjoyed the hike it gave a new perspective on what normally is boring trail. Just wish we had snow disks so when we got to the crest we could slide down. Will defiantly be on our back next snow day.

Chachi Avirett

26 Completed16 Reviews

Old rag is a tough and extremely rewarding hike.