Scott's Run Nature Preserve

#1 of 2 trails in Dranesville District Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Scott's Run Nature Preserve is a 3.2 mile loop trail located near McLean, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Icon_57569c1c12915a77d6d37afd2c65774f

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Finally a sunny warm Saturday to go for a hike. We arrived at Scott's Run at 9 AM. We entered the first parking area off Georgetown Pike. Lot was very full but we were lucky as some one was just pulling out. Trails are not as clearly marked as I would have hoped. At one point, We apparently split off from main trail, and wound up on secondary trail on north side of Scott's Run. This is a nice trail and leads you down to a point where Scott's Run flows into the Potomac. Nice hill to climb and a couple little rock scrambles too. Nice views, but no way to cross stream to get back to main loop trail, you have to back track. Still early spring so not much flora or fauna action. We will defiantly be back when things get greener.

Icon_

23 Completed 13 Reviews

Really good trail for a challange or for a family loooking to take it easy with little ones. There are some really steep areas to push yourself but the actual trail to the falls is wide and pretty smooth for easy walking.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Pretty awesome trail! I find I like it best during the winter with snow on the ground and the waterfalls frozen off. Great place to take a family or kids as there are easy paths that are very wide with no serious drop offs. However for those who want to make it interesting there are plenty of tall hills to climb up for some pretty good views. It's a place for a simple hike or a place you can make your own challenging trail.

Icon_c37bb21e618ca273e6b1dea36ac0ae39

12 Completed 2 Reviews

nice hike on a snowy spring day! not hard at all, a few steep spots but mainly nice water, big wide paths, the water falls are beautiful and an overall good quick circuit

30 Completed 8 Reviews

Excellent in Fall, the colors combined with the waterfall made for a great experience. If you want to see the falls at their peak though I suggest you go in Spring(late Mar- late Apr). Summer is nice and I've seen people swimming in the creek.

Support