Scott's Run Nature Preserve

#1 of 2 trails in Dranesville District Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Scott's Run Nature Preserve is a 3.2 mile loop trail located near McLean, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Amy A, (340)

23 Completed7 Reviews

Really fun for trail running. A really neat rock formation at higher elevation juts out for a great view of the Potomac. Have been wandering this trail since I was little. Especially nice in the spring and fall.

Elizabeth De Saussure (334)

21 Completed4 Reviews

Went on a Saturday (which was probably a mistake)...more crowded than I am used to. Nice but nothing breath-taking or majestic. The waterfall was cool (but again, it didn't knock my socks off). A lot of steep grades and very slippery when icy. If doing the circuit there are two points where you'll need to jump across cement fixtures to get over the water.

Alyssa Poulin (47)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Very varied. We loved this hike, even in the winter! Not too many people. the trails did get a little confusing, with lack of blazes, but we did find our way back to parking.

N Tucker (36)

Hiking with family = 5 stars, however bow hunting on the preserve = 0 stars
I have been hiking in this preserve for more than forty years. Needless-to-say, it has special meaning to me and my family. Thus I was horrified to see signs posted throughout the area stating that deer are being subject to bow hunting in this PRESERVE. Preservationists united to save this land back when it was the Burling Tract, but why aren't people rallying to protect deer from being stalked by bow hunters in this haven? If deer numbers are that high, why weren't/aren't alternatives being considered/used?

Phi Lo (141)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Playing in the rocks is fun and lots of cute puppies :)

Joe M. (67)

Great place but too few trail markings for running. This app and the ability to follow the logged trail made things relatively easy. I did end up running/walking along the Potomac for an extra mile or so. It is really rocky and uneven but beautiful.

Sarah Campbell (62)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My new favorite hike in the McLean area! It took us about 4 hours, but we took our time, stopped and explored, and found a great overlook for a lunch break. The part along the river was definitely the best, with a beautiful beach and shallow water for wading, which leads to a beautiful waterfall! The trail was well maintained, and good for walking and hiking. Definitely bring water/snacks.

Ford Jones (89)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Great way to access Great Falls on those occasions you don't have the cash to enter the park proper.

Kate L (86)

5 Completed2 Reviews

It's really easy to get sidetracked by the secondary trails, but I found them to be the most fun. They have quite a few you are here signs but it's still really easy to mistake the primary and secondary trails but you are surrounded by landmarks so it's hard to get too lost. All and all it is a beautiful hike with some moderately challenging climbs.

Jane Doe (111)