Scott's Run Nature Preserve

#1 of 2 trails in Dranesville District Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Scott's Run Nature Preserve is a 3.2 mile loop trail located near McLean, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Zac Hallett (81)

Lindsay Knotts (63)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Adam Roades (119)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My wife and I took our four girls (ages 11 through 6) for a wonderful hike at Scott's Run this morning. A "sewage" smell was only faintly noticeable in the upper parking lot. We followed the route outlined on, working our way down to the falls. We'll need to remember swim gear next time so we can take a dip in the water! Instead of getting wet, we opted to climb the rocks far above the falls. The rocks were sheer at times, so thankfully no one slid down! We had lunch on the point and caught an osprey and heron having lunch out on the Potomac. The rest of the trail was uneventful, but pleasant. For a Saturday morning, the trails were populated, but not crowded. We'll definitely be going back to explore some of the other trails, especially the ruins which we weren't able to get to.

Brian Winters (121)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail system. Lots of diversity and wildlife.

PV V. (85)

Very nice short hike just outside of DC. Shamefully the water fall area is littered with cups and bottles. Note to self to bring a bag so I may help with a little clean up.

Katherine C (325)

7 Completed7 Reviews

Beautiful trail, lots of people there on a Thursday afternoon. Great place to bring the dog if they like getting in the water. Parts of the trail got narrow along the water where you had tall grass on either side of you.

Christopher Berry (291)

31 Completed4 Reviews

One of my favorite hikes in the DC area. Lot's of ups and downs when you hike to the Potomac Heritage Trail and head down the river. Parking can be an issue at times with so many people wanting to hike down to the waterfall area. Note: I was warned on Sunday by a Park Ranger of a rabid badger near the water so there is wildlife in this park!

Josh Obrien (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Trail is well marked and has lots of options ranging from very easy to moderate. Make sure to check out the waterfall!

P Inmon (93)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful trail. Not a lot of foot traffic. Nice scenery. My first hike and I was solo. Easy to follow. Signs to direct you and markers on trees. Challenging enough for a beginner.

Lola Aremu (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Like the trail; great views. Just wish the trails were better marked. First time hiking.