South River Falls Trail

#1 of 4 trails in Rapidan Wildlife Management Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

South River Falls Trail is a 5.2 mile loop trail located near Stanardsville, Virginia that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jarvandi Tarbania (40)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Nice trails, not too hard. Was my first time hiking there and my friend's first time hiking ever. Really enjoyed it and the waterfall is beautiful.

SB Shrestha (205)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Easy and fun trail

SB Shrestha (205)

5 Completed3 Reviews

It's an easy hike downhill. Uphill can be a battle if that is a second hike of the day. Also, follow the signs to reach the main Waterfall, else you might get disappointed.

Laura Kraft (457)

7 Completed6 Reviews

We might give it a 3.5. The hike down is very easy- dirt trail with several switchbacks- that will haunt your return. There was some good scenery on the way. The waterfall is pretty cool due in part to its size. We visited several others in the area that were a better payoff for the hike required to get there, hence our rating. Additionally, we weren't up for the 1.4 mile additional hike to the base of the falls. We had lunch here and it was a great time. Didn't see many people on the trail.
Be ready for a long climb up to your car.

MATTHEW HAMILTON (180)

30 Completed2 Reviews

Just a note, the "rattlesnakes" noted in the photos are the less dangerous, less reclusive copperhead snakes. Venomous, yes, but not as worrisome.

Allison Middleton (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I just did about 4 miles of the trail. VERY pretty and loved the creek crossings. There is not much parking and the trail head is not marked from the road.

David Baker (325)

12 Completed7 Reviews

I have hiked to the falls numerous times and always enjoy going back. My favorite was a Christmas Eve hike with a little snow still on the ground.

Pilgrim B (112)

7 Completed7 Reviews

We've taken this trial twice in the past few years. Once on a cold rainy spring day, with lots of fog and lots of snow melt and rainwater in every gully; more recently in mid October on a cold rainy fall day, with fog and a colorful leaf strewn pathway. In the spring, be prepared to ford at least two places. Due to the weather, we pretty much had the trail to ourselves, which is how we best enjoyed it. The extra descent to the base of the falls adds another mile or so to the total. The fire road is a boring way to to hike this, but if you're tired, it is an easier return route.

Zehra Nasif (262)

12 Completed5 Reviews

Will Patterson (189)

17 Completed2 Reviews

Me and my family where hiking and there where vines that you could swing on like Tarzan!

Support