White Oak Canyon Trail

#11 of 140 trails in Shenandoah National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

White Oak Canyon is a 3.8 mile trail located near Syria, Virginia. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Timothy C. (298)

My wife and I hiked White Oak Canyon since it is closed to Old Rag and it is rainy. It is easy hike course, and six water falls along the trail and beautiful.

Steve Z. (75)

My wife and I are novice hikers, we chose White Oak Canyon because it looked like it was a nice hike with the right amount of challenge for beginners. We started from Skyline drive and went down to the first waterfall. There are easy sections and rocky sections so you definitely have to pay attention. Most of the hike you are following the stream. There are many places to stop and take in the view or take some pictures. Saw some snakes along the water side but that was it for wild life. We ate lunch at the first waterfall which is beautiful. The trek back up gives you a good work out - gets your heart rate up. We did it on a Saturday morning in July so there was a lot of people but I wouldn't call it crowded. Took us about 3 hours with the lunch break. As I told my wife this beats a treadmill any time ! We will be back - this was a fun hike!

Matt Nolan (577)

31 Completed31 Reviews

Bob Holcombe (77)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Came here to find the virtual geocache at the upper falls. Parked at the Skyline Drive lot, and only passed one person on my way downhill. Spent some time at the falls before heading back uphill. Return trip took almost as much time as outward trip.. not because I'm a fast climber, but because I had to take my time on the outbound leg because of the rocks and roots hidden by the recently fallen leaves. Signs indicate this trail is easy to moderate. I agree. A few stretches were carefully groomed, while a few stretches required navigating these rocks and roots on a hill. Passed about 25 folks on my return trip during warmer temps. Strava shows hiking time as 2:09, and reflects some side trips.

Brian Bosserman (123)

2 Completed2 Reviews

A friend and myself decided to go on a short hike in August. The trail is narrow and is a nice peaceful hike. We only saw one person on the trail. The views are stunning and the stream an falls where small, but satisfactory.

Scott Reese (347)

8 Completed1 Reviews

We did this hike on an unusually warm day in January. The hike is nice along a stream with good sized waterfalls. I would recommend starting at the lower end of the trail and working your way up. It is a lot easier to walk down hill on the way back. Only downside was how crowded it was.

Earl Kauffman (91)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was a great trail to hike even for a novice or not having been hiking for a while. I would rate it as a moderately difficult trail. The day we hiked was early fall so the leaves were just beginning to change. The falls were spectacular. The time for the hike was longer because of the many side trips and exploring done off the trail.

Cindy White (113)

2 Completed2 Reviews

It was an absolutely beautiful day for this great hike! The waterfall was amazing and the view was awesome.

Support