White Oak Canyon Trail

MODERATE
#9 of 95 trails in Shenandoah National Park
White Oak Canyon Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, VA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

hiking waterfall
Hide Map

White Oak Canyon is a 3.8 mile trail located near Syria, Virginia. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Chris Isdell

4 Completed3 Reviews

Good hike with nice scenery. Awesome falls and pools for a dip.

Susan McGee

5 Completed3 Reviews

Didn't do the full loop. Just in and out. Beautiful! Will go back in the summer and definitely in the fall.

Jeremy Johnston

42 Completed48 Reviews

Cecilia Martinez

132 Completed17 Reviews

Jacob Nelsen

7 Completed6 Reviews

This trail is very rewarding for how easy the hike is.

Jeff G.

Gorgeous and serene, good workout especially if bringing kids. Went in summer and we all took a dip. Great cool down ... Water definitely brisk. If you just stand up to your knees in the upper falls pool, little fish will nibble on your feet. Falls, pools, streams, ferns, huge trees, boulders, ... Overall amazing

Chris Isdell

4 Completed3 Reviews

Delight Frat

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have done this hike several times. Usually it was just myself and girlfriends or one of the dogs or with the youth group of my church. We bring a picnic lunch and swim attire. It's awesome.

The one time I went with my husband we had an adventure. At the beginning you get to choose: right (which is marked and the path everyone takes) or go left. We went to the left (of course) We saw box turtles, beautiful butterflies, all kinds of insects, and then... a mama bear and her 3 cubs! It was amazing but obviously could've been a bad outcome. My husband jokes that at all he had to do was run faster than I do! (not too hard to do since he is a 15x Ironman finisher) somehow I was never afraid even when we got lost a few times. Getting lost does make for a very long day... But great stories at cocktail parties!

All in all, I've been on several hikes at many parks. This is still one of my 1st and still a favorite... Next to those in Hawaii! :) Happy trails!

Erryn Murphy

15 Completed9 Reviews

Beautiful scenery- gorgeous forest trail winding along the river with plenty of gorgeous views and waterfalls. Saw lots of cool insects, mushrooms and fungi. Trail does not get steep until after the lower falls. You can swim at the lower falls on your hike out to cool off, or there are many other options for a swim! The upper falls was stunning. The trail was not crowded. My husband and I were there on a Tuesday. Temperature was in the low 70s in the am and got into the low 80s in the afternoon-perfect! This is now one of my top 5 hikes because it is so serene and gorgeous!!!

Aaron Winter

10 Completed2 Reviews

Nice n steady! Waterfalls the whole way!

Alyson Fox

7 Completed6 Reviews

Used this trail as our family New Year's Day hike. Easy enough trail for our dogs and several family members who are novice hikers at best. The falls are a nice spot to stop and have lunch.

Ashley So

2 Completed2 Reviews

After hiking Old Rag a lot quicker than we expected, my friend and I had the brilliant idea (sarcasm) to hike White Oak to see some waterfalls. The hike trails are clearly marked and mostly clear of leaves (though not as clear as Old Rag since the traffic level isn't as high). However, the drive from Old Rag to this parking lot meant that fatigue and muscle soreness had started to set in as we reached the Upper Falls. Nevertheless, the hike features some challenging switchbacks and really amazing waterfalls.

Timothy C.

My wife and I hiked White Oak Canyon since it is closed to Old Rag and it is rainy. It is easy hike course, and six water falls along the trail and beautiful.

Steve Z.

My wife and I are novice hikers, we chose White Oak Canyon because it looked like it was a nice hike with the right amount of challenge for beginners. We started from Skyline drive and went down to the first waterfall. There are easy sections and rocky sections so you definitely have to pay attention. Most of the hike you are following the stream. There are many places to stop and take in the view or take some pictures. Saw some snakes along the water side but that was it for wild life. We ate lunch at the first waterfall which is beautiful. The trek back up gives you a good work out - gets your heart rate up. We did it on a Saturday morning in July so there was a lot of people but I wouldn't call it crowded. Took us about 3 hours with the lunch break. As I told my wife this beats a treadmill any time ! We will be back - this was a fun hike!

Matt Nolan

40 Completed35 Reviews

Bob Holcombe

2 Completed1 Reviews

Came here to find the virtual geocache at the upper falls. Parked at the Skyline Drive lot, and only passed one person on my way downhill. Spent some time at the falls before heading back uphill. Return trip took almost as much time as outward trip.. not because I'm a fast climber, but because I had to take my time on the outbound leg because of the rocks and roots hidden by the recently fallen leaves. Signs indicate this trail is easy to moderate. I agree. A few stretches were carefully groomed, while a few stretches required navigating these rocks and roots on a hill. Passed about 25 folks on my return trip during warmer temps. Strava shows hiking time as 2:09, and reflects some side trips.

Brian Bosserman

2 Completed2 Reviews

A friend and myself decided to go on a short hike in August. The trail is narrow and is a nice peaceful hike. We only saw one person on the trail. The views are stunning and the stream an falls where small, but satisfactory.

Scott Reese

9 Completed1 Reviews

We did this hike on an unusually warm day in January. The hike is nice along a stream with good sized waterfalls. I would recommend starting at the lower end of the trail and working your way up. It is a lot easier to walk down hill on the way back. Only downside was how crowded it was.

Earl Kauffman

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was a great trail to hike even for a novice or not having been hiking for a while. I would rate it as a moderately difficult trail. The day we hiked was early fall so the leaves were just beginning to change. The falls were spectacular. The time for the hike was longer because of the many side trips and exploring done off the trail.

Cindy White

2 Completed2 Reviews

It was an absolutely beautiful day for this great hike! The waterfall was amazing and the view was awesome.