White Oak Canyon Trail

#11 of 140 trails in Shenandoah National Park
White Oak Canyon is a 3.8 mile trail located near Syria, Virginia. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

3.8 miles Point to Point 554 feet
hiking waterfall
Hide Map

Cecilia Martinez

130 Completed17 Reviews

Jacob Nelsen

7 Completed6 Reviews

This trail is very rewarding for how easy the hike is.

Jeff G.

Gorgeous and serene, good workout especially if bringing kids. Went in summer and we all took a dip. Great cool down ... Water definitely brisk. If you just stand up to your knees in the upper falls pool, little fish will nibble on your feet. Falls, pools, streams, ferns, huge trees, boulders, ... Overall amazing

Chris Isdell

4 Completed2 Reviews

Delight Frat

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have done this hike several times. Usually it was just myself and girlfriends or one of the dogs or with the youth group of my church. We bring a picnic lunch and swim attire. It's awesome.

The one time I went with my husband we had an adventure. At the beginning you get to choose: right (which is marked and the path everyone takes) or go left. We went to the left (of course) We saw box turtles, beautiful butterflies, all kinds of insects, and then... a mama bear and her 3 cubs! It was amazing but obviously could've been a bad outcome. My husband jokes that at all he had to do was run faster than I do! (not too hard to do since he is a 15x Ironman finisher) somehow I was never afraid even when we got lost a few times. Getting lost does make for a very long day... But great stories at cocktail parties!

All in all, I've been on several hikes at many parks. This is still one of my 1st and still a favorite... Next to those in Hawaii! :) Happy trails!

Erryn Murphy

14 Completed9 Reviews

Beautiful scenery- gorgeous forest trail winding along the river with plenty of gorgeous views and waterfalls. Saw lots of cool insects, mushrooms and fungi. Trail does not get steep until after the lower falls. You can swim at the lower falls on your hike out to cool off, or there are many other options for a swim! The upper falls was stunning. The trail was not crowded. My husband and I were there on a Tuesday. Temperature was in the low 70s in the am and got into the low 80s in the afternoon-perfect! This is now one of my top 5 hikes because it is so serene and gorgeous!!!

Aaron Winter

10 Completed2 Reviews

Nice n steady! Waterfalls the whole way!

Alyson Fox

6 Completed5 Reviews

Used this trail as our family New Year's Day hike. Easy enough trail for our dogs and several family members who are novice hikers at best. The falls are a nice spot to stop and have lunch.

Ashley So

2 Completed2 Reviews

After hiking Old Rag a lot quicker than we expected, my friend and I had the brilliant idea (sarcasm) to hike White Oak to see some waterfalls. The hike trails are clearly marked and mostly clear of leaves (though not as clear as Old Rag since the traffic level isn't as high). However, the drive from Old Rag to this parking lot meant that fatigue and muscle soreness had started to set in as we reached the Upper Falls. Nevertheless, the hike features some challenging switchbacks and really amazing waterfalls.

Timothy C.

My wife and I hiked White Oak Canyon since it is closed to Old Rag and it is rainy. It is easy hike course, and six water falls along the trail and beautiful.