Ape Cave Trail

#1 of 279 trails in Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Ape Cave Trail is a 2.6 mile out and back trail that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Travis Chamberlain (38)

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was good for family hiking. Wouldn't recommend if you have bad knees.

Shana Kirk (48)

2 Completed2 Reviews

The Lowe cave was neat to see but nothing exciting. We chose not to go all the way to the dead end though. The upper caves was more challenging and fun for my girls (7 & 10). It t ok use about 2 hours to climbs over all the rock piles. I don't think I would take kids much younger than that in the upper caves. It can me a little tricky climbing at times. head lamps are a must!!! It makes it easier when climbing to have both hands free! I would recommend this cave to do at least once. It is a neat experience.

Rebecca Graham (246)

5 Completed2 Reviews

Shae Marie (443)

8 Completed7 Reviews

I'd give it ten stars if I could, this is definitely a pretty memorable hike. However, we took the harder path and I did underestimate it. There were many boulders to climb over, areas to squeeze through, and a wall we actually had to climb over, though if you walk the outside trail to the end of the cave and enter from there, you'll be climbing down rather than up the wall.. I also noticed a difference in altitude which took a minute for me to adjust to, but the rest in my party hardly noticed.
Caves are cold, damp, and 100% dark. Headlamp is probably wisest seeing as I needed my hands to climb over things and the flashlight became a nuisance.
***Extra batteries!!

Love this hike.

Billie A. (107)

Most amazing hike. Both the caves and lava canyon! Bring headlamps and flashlights and extra batteries. It's pitch black in the caves!

Christine Dinsmore (209)

9 Completed9 Reviews

Eric Roberts (106)

5 Completed5 Reviews

So cool! The Upper is a must. Bring headlamp (and two other sources of illumination as there is NO light), long pants, gloves, and grippy boots. Not for the claustrophobic. ;)

Tina Savoy Draper (85)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Fun

Brandon Bush (241)

4 Completed3 Reviews

This was a great experience, however, these are some lessons that you should learn. Bring a headlight, bring some gloves, and wear pants as you'll be sliding down some rocks. For the Upper Cave, I recommend that you walk on the surface to the exit of the cave and enter there. It was easier to walk back to the entrance in the cave because you are walking down hill. Hiking shoes required for the Upper Cave.

Support