Bandera Mountain Trail

North Bend, WA
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Bandera Mountain Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 45. Left over the freeway on FSR 9030 for 0.5 miles to FSR 9031. Veer left, 4 miles to trailhead

Federal Northwest Forest Pass to park
Vault toilet at the trailhead

Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
North Bend Ranger Station
42404 Southeast North Bend Way
North Bend, WA 98045
Tel: 425.888-1421

62 Completed 33 Reviews

My wife and I climbed Little Bandera Mountain. Despite Federal government shutdown the trail was open. The weather was great. The river crossing at 0.8 mile from the trailhead was on a small log bridge over rapid water. The fall color is at its best around the trail fork at 2.9 miles from the trailhead. The trail above 4800 ft was covered with snow. The talus fields were slippery and dangerous without proper equipment and caution. The view at the top was great. Overall it was a rewarding day.

Picture?width=50&height=50

5 Completed 2 Reviews

I'm not sure I'd rate this trail as hard. Sure the last thousand feet were a bit tough. my 8 yr boy tackled it just fine in skater shoes (yeah he forgot good shoes). we did Mason Lake first.....lots of bugs but not many biters. doing Mason first left Bandera nice and quiet in the afternoon

18 Completed 4 Reviews

Tons of bugs!!! There were so many to even enjoy the peak. Didn't go to Mason Lake but after the split sign, it gets steep. Dirt, roots, and huge boulders. Overall good hike but the bugs ruined it. Got chased by a couple of bees too along the trail.

19 Completed 18 Reviews

Can't ask for a better view at the top. So steep for the last portion of the hike! Did I say the last part is steep? Because it is steep! Haha. Well worth the hike and if your in shape I would suggest it. Not an easy hike, which makes it fun :)

Picture?width=50&height=50

4 Completed 1 Reviews

This was my very first mountain and let me tell you it was no easy task. Come prepared, the top is still covered in a few feet of snow and it's freezing. The view from the ridge is gorgeous and overall this was an amazing hike. I'll be coming back soon.

22 Completed 23 Reviews

Arrived at the trail head at 1030. By the time I stepped off there were only 5 vehicles in the parking lot. I crossed the creek without an issue but the current was pretty strong. As I reached the intersection for Defiance and Bandera I was the only one attempting to summit by studying the foot traffic on the trail. As I reached the top of the ridge line the giant boulders and granite slabs gave my legs a good stretching. As I reached the summit I was the only one to reach the top out if the 2 other groups behind me. The other groups decided to turn around and try another day due to the wind and foot of snow on the ridge. As I began my descent I ran into a few other groups but most of them were heading to the lakes. Overall the hike was enjoyable not as strenuous as the other famous I90 corridor hikes near Snoqualmie pass. The views were awesome but due to the clouds it could have been better. Would recommend this hike to anyone who isn't afraid to scramble a bit.

Icon_f889feb7a9f55e25e58e17dc1acfb06d

19 Completed 1 Reviews

This is a great trail to access the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. the trail up to the intersection with the summit is moderate and in good shape. Some recent repairs from washouts this last winter are in place. The hike up to the summit through the boulder / wildflower field is demanding but pleasant. Views from the ridge are great, although visibility is poor due to forest fires in the east cascades.

Icon_b6ea6473e67afe025c8daca74e0dea58

10 Completed 8 Reviews

Nice view. Good workout. Someone behind us on the trail saw a bear.

Person_placeholder

17 Completed 2 Reviews

Icon_a2ac9f9080e8c6397d01db3cd4344721

17 Completed 4 Reviews

Went on 5/12/12. It's been an unusually warm May, and the trail was super slushy. Tennis shoes weren't the best idea and poles proved quite helpful. Had to turn around a few miles in because we didn't bring appropriate gear, but gorgeous views of Mt. Rainier. Planning on going back later this summer.

Support