Lake 22 (Twenty-two) Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 9 trails in Mount Pilchuck State Park
Lake 22 (Twenty-two) Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, WA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and fishing and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly fishing hiking walking forest lake river views old growth rocky
Hide Map

From Granite Falls, E (left) for 13 miles on Mountain Loop Highway to trailhead on right, two miles past the Verlot Public Service Center.

steve lewis

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike on a perfect day! Trail is very wet so if highly recommend mid height boots.

Debbie bee

11 Completed11 Reviews

Supper fun and easy hike.

Ellie K.

A beautiful trail with a mixture of steps, flat roads, and rocky hills. It becomes a bit challenging where the road gets rugged (last 20-25 minutes), but the trail is excellently maintained and mountain views will reward you. I went on a slightly rainy day, but my shoes did not get wet much in spite of many water pools here and there. In general, it was not muggy. Yet, hiking shoes definitely helped me for the rocky part. Constantly scenic all the way up, but the lake at the top is simply stunning. Parking could be challenging; a restroom is available but stinky. It took 1.5 hrs up, and 1.2 hrs down - it was my fourth hike.

Amy Wilson

9 Completed7 Reviews

good trail, well maintained, but very busy.

Aaron B

21 Completed20 Reviews

Great hike! The trail is not very difficult and well maintained. The view at the top is great -- the Lake is really nice -- but you also have great views along the way, including landscape views and waterfalls. Would highly recommend for a casual moderate hike. Don't forget to stop at the public service center, which you will pass on Mountain Loop Highway, to buy a parking pass ($5) if you don't already have a forest pass

David Lam

98 Completed52 Reviews

5/20/2016 (Friday) - This trail has more fun than its sister Heather Lake trail, a lot of loud falls, more rocks and more water to tread, more big trees, bigger lake with steep and snow-cover peaks as its backdrop. However, few people go around the lake. (For Heather, most people would like to go around the lake.) The distance from trailhead to the bridge at the northern end of the lake is 2.7 miles, for my slow speed, 1.8 hours up, 1.5 hours down. The upper 1/3 is rocky and shadeless, providing a panorama of the opposite mountains. We are so lucky to get a mostly sunny day to visit this place. The parking lot gets full in the late morning even in this non-weekend day.

Connor Otoole

2 Completed2 Reviews

Amazing views

Kristie Mclane

1 Completed1 Reviews

Did this trail today with my 8 month old baby on my back in a soft carrier. Overall my husband, girlfriend and I loved the hike. The lake was stunning. We will definitely go back during the summer and spend a couple hours up top at the lake. I highly recommend you pack a picnic and to spend a few hours once you are up there. Be prepared, It was really rocky, not stroller friendly in the least. I only post this because someone was headed up with a stroller as we were exiting the trail at the parking lot. I wore tennis shoes and was fine but I would recommend high tops and polls to help with stability. Trails were very wet in spots this time of year, several little creek crossings.

Kevin Meek

Maria I.

The hike itself wasn't difficult just a lot of rocks therefore you need to be careful not to roll your ankle . I definitely recommend taking high-top boots with good ankle support and hiking sticks.The lake itself was very beautiful well worth the hike !!!!

John Louie

Andrew Millican

10 Completed10 Reviews

Melissa Gladden

1 Completed1 Reviews

Really well maintained trail and definitely worth it! The views were amazing and the lake was gorgeous! The only downside was the amount of people who had their dog off leash. When strange dogs rush my dog he will sometimes react to them unfavorably. Even after asking people to leash their dog, they'd respond that their dog is nice so I was forced to stand on the edge of the trail holding my 40 pound dog to keep their dog safe. I'd do it again on a weekday!!

Noel S.

Very crowded today, not that surprising. Views were great, still snow at the top and on the lake. Not enough to be any trouble for me , my 4 & 6 yo daughters & wife. It's been over 10 years since I've done this hike and I see it's gotten a lot of use since then. I was disappointed to see a shoe floating on the lake, garbage everywhere, dogs poop bags left. I grabbed what I could, wish people weren't so careless. Overall we had a great experience, a really nice hike.