Lake Serene Trail

#1 of 26 trails in Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lake Serene Trail is a 7.2 mile out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on a leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Tara Fuller (656)

17 Completed16 Reviews

Love this hike. Don't be fooled, this is one of the rockiest trails I've been on. It's not for weak ankles. It's breathtaking though and totally worth the effort. The day we went, Norwegians were busy jumping off a huge boulder into the lake. Way too cold for us!

Marco Decca (145)

3 Completed1 Reviews

savannah snyder (134)

4 Completed4 Reviews

First of all, I would describe myself as a newbie hiker. I'm young & in good enough shape, but I don't go on too many hikes. So with that, this hike definitely kicked my ass. The first 5 miles are pretty easy. It's an incline but a slow one, very doable. Very misleading. Then you get to a sign saying that if you go left, you go to the falls, right goes to Bridal Veils... something. I went left because I wanted to go to the lake. From there it gets really scenic. You go over a bridge, past this giant rock structure, & from there it is all vertical. I'm talking rocks, stairs and mud. I definitely recommend wearing hiking shoes, I slipped a few times (more so going down than up) in my tennis shoes. I had to stop to regain my composure about 5 times. There were a few times I considered turning back because I had no idea how close I was. But I made myself keep going & boy am I glad I did. The views when you get out of the super dense trees are BEAUTIFUL. You have a gorgeous outlook over the mountains. I ran out of water on the way up (oh yea, bring at least 3 bottles) & I came across a cave-like area of water streaming down the rocks & I filled my water bottle there. It was delicious. Shortly after that I reached the "destination." The lake was just amazing. The mountains reflected in the crystal clear water. I stayed long enough to rest, admire the view & take a few pictures. I had to head back because I was hiking alone & wanted to make it back to my car before dark. On the way down I came across a 3 foot snake, but he just slithered away. Nothing too dangerous though. Good luck!

Byron Aldridge (91)

4 Completed4 Reviews

I twisted my ankle on the way down because I was wearing my trail runners and not my hiking boots but the falls are glorious and the lake serene.

Tracy Aldridge (1681)

20 Completed9 Reviews

The trail was beautiful and well maintained. I would give it 5+ stars if there were less people. I wouldn't call it crowded and everyone was really friendly, but it wasn't solitude. Great place for a female hiking alone, but this time I had my husband.

Morganne Sullivan (164)

17 Completed2 Reviews

Andrew Moan (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

First half was easy, second half was a great workout. The lake is well worth the trip!!!

Jakeb Stunz (94)

8 Completed2 Reviews

Bridal Falls was beautiful, but it gets even better if you push the last thousand or more feet to Serene Lake. Done this one twice, and in May the lake was still slightly frozen over and in August it was not.

Erik Pettee (234)

5 Completed5 Reviews

A new review for an old hike (completed in July, 2014) – the name says it all. Lake Serene is truly beautiful. The ascent is as rewarding as the lake itself. It climbs steadily and the quality of the trail (soft, shaded dirt) is pretty hard to beat. Loved the rushing water and falls near the beginning. Highly recommended. Again, get an early start on this one to beat the crowds. Hard to leave the lake once you reach it, but just think about all the people you'll have to pass on the way down. :)

Parul Tyagi (63)