Lake Serene Trail

#1 of 26 trails in Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lake Serene Trail is a 7.2 mile out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on a leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Candice Bannon (154)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Jen DeMare (435)

8 Completed2 Reviews

A fantastic hike.

The first 1.5 miles is easy till you cross over the bridge and start your way up the additional 2 miles to Lake Serene. Those 2 miles are more intense than stated. The trail is only 2000 feet of elevation gain, yet the large rocks, big steps, slippery rocks and lumber steps was harder than I expected. Truthfully I find this hike harder than Big Si.

The views throughout this whole hike are breathtaking. Waterfalls you can see in the distance and up close, views of mountains, and the lake is stunning.

As an avid hiker it took us 3.5-4 hours round trip. NOT a mountain anyone is running down due to the boulders and slippery rocks. I would suggest hiking poles! We hit the trail on a Saturday at 11am and parking was hard to come by, yet along the trail and at the lake were actually very few people, (I think most go up to Bridal) we passed maybe 12 people heading to Lake Serene.

Overall, now my favorite hike, gorgeous and challenging, must be done and seen with your own eyes.

CeCe Mamallo (65)

7 Completed2 Reviews

This was a hard workout with a lot of steep stairs but the views were definitely worth it! The beginning portion is easy with not a very high incline. About 1/3 of the way through you see beautiful waterfalls. The top is really rewarding when you see the clear lake.

Kristen M (103)

16 Completed2 Reviews

The views are amazing, the lake is great for swimming (very cold), and the trail is as hard. The first few miles to the falls are pretty easy and the last two felt like they would never end. It was not a great choice for first big joke of the year according to my knees but oh well :). If you are going to do the falls definitely hit them on the way up. On the way down we had zero interest in adding miles.

kari brunson (413)

16 Completed8 Reviews

Tara Fuller (659)

17 Completed16 Reviews

Love this hike. Don't be fooled, this is one of the rockiest trails I've been on. It's not for weak ankles. It's breathtaking though and totally worth the effort. The day we went, Norwegians were busy jumping off a huge boulder into the lake. Way too cold for us!

Marco Decca (165)

3 Completed1 Reviews

savannah snyder (134)

4 Completed4 Reviews

First of all, I would describe myself as a newbie hiker. I'm young & in good enough shape, but I don't go on too many hikes. So with that, this hike definitely kicked my ass. The first 5 miles are pretty easy. It's an incline but a slow one, very doable. Very misleading. Then you get to a sign saying that if you go left, you go to the falls, right goes to Bridal Veils... something. I went left because I wanted to go to the lake. From there it gets really scenic. You go over a bridge, past this giant rock structure, & from there it is all vertical. I'm talking rocks, stairs and mud. I definitely recommend wearing hiking shoes, I slipped a few times (more so going down than up) in my tennis shoes. I had to stop to regain my composure about 5 times. There were a few times I considered turning back because I had no idea how close I was. But I made myself keep going & boy am I glad I did. The views when you get out of the super dense trees are BEAUTIFUL. You have a gorgeous outlook over the mountains. I ran out of water on the way up (oh yea, bring at least 3 bottles) & I came across a cave-like area of water streaming down the rocks & I filled my water bottle there. It was delicious. Shortly after that I reached the "destination." The lake was just amazing. The mountains reflected in the crystal clear water. I stayed long enough to rest, admire the view & take a few pictures. I had to head back because I was hiking alone & wanted to make it back to my car before dark. On the way down I came across a 3 foot snake, but he just slithered away. Nothing too dangerous though. Good luck!

Byron Aldridge (91)

4 Completed4 Reviews

I twisted my ankle on the way down because I was wearing my trail runners and not my hiking boots but the falls are glorious and the lake serene.

Tracy Aldridge (1701)

20 Completed9 Reviews

The trail was beautiful and well maintained. I would give it 5+ stars if there were less people. I wouldn't call it crowded and everyone was really friendly, but it wasn't solitude. Great place for a female hiking alone, but this time I had my husband.