Mount Rose Trail

#13 of 238 trails in Olympic National Park
Mount Rose Trail is a 6.4 mile trail located near Hoodsport, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated difficult. The trail is for hiking and is accessible from April till October. Dogs are able to use this trail if on leash. Snowshoes before midmay if you really wanna make it ALL the way up

5.72 miles Out & Back 3550 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking dogs leash snow views
Hide Map

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 3 miles to the trailhead on the right side of the road.

Jim Scott

1 Completed1 Reviews

One of my favorite trails because it is accessible year round. In winter snowshoes/Microspikes may be needed. I hiked this October 22, 2015. It was a beautiful summer like day.

Vicente Martinez

9 Completed8 Reviews

If you like switchback this is the trail for you!

Abigail Angelucci

2 Completed2 Reviews

Did this hike with my bf yesterday. Saw this trail was pretty close to our house, and sadly that was about the only research we did. It is all up hill. The hike we found was not too hard until we passed where the loop meets up. From there the trail was very steep with lots of loose rocks. But once we got to the top, we realized all our hard work was worth it. Beware; downhill is not such a breeze either. Very steep going down. Wish we had a pole, would have made a world of a difference.

wes neal

19 Completed12 Reviews

Almost all up hill... Hard hike and great views a the end!

Jordin Pierce

2 Completed2 Reviews

Don't listen to what other people are saying about there not being a view, they obviously aren't hiking far enough. I was greeted with one of the most breathtaking views, including a view of mount Rainier in the distance. Pretty steep hike, but well worth it in my opinion.

Jen Llamas

8 Completed6 Reviews

Very steep, not much of a view. Didn't make it to the top because of sunlight but planning on going back. It was really cloudy couldn't see anything through the trees. But it was an excellent workout! Went up to 3,000 elevation really quickly and the switch backs are killer!

Catherine Nicolai

59 Completed18 Reviews

Hiked Mount Rose for the first time last weekend. It's Monday, and my quads are real tender. I enjoyed this hike for the challenge, but the summit views were a little disappointing--don't get me wrong, it's still a really great view. I read somewhere that Mount Rose is kind of like the middle sister of Olympic mountains. There isn't a clear summit view. The summit loop provided the best scenery! Barely any snow on the trail, no need for any special footwear because of it.

Zoe Whitbeck

8 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful scenery AND a killer workout. The switchbacks up to the summit loop left my calves aching for a couple of days, so take breaks to stretch! We were the only people on the trail on a Tuesday, and had sunny weather except for an hour of snowfall approaching the summit. The vista from the ridge is astonishing, we sat for a long time just gazing off into a long distance of mountain range, and down into Lake Cushman. Bring some layers to make up for working up a sweat and then covering up to stop for the views. Whatever you do, absolutely hike this trail, and then visit Tom at Hoodsport Coffee Company on your way in or out, he is the nicest dude and they have great coffee and ice-cream!

richard anderson

4 Completed4 Reviews

We started our climb at 10a.m. on New Years Eve 2014. Great climb from the start, very well maintained and marked trail. The switchbacks give you a good cardio burn if you go too fast but it's very easy to just move along at a nice smooth, methodical pace. It starts getting steep and then flattens back out a few times. We encountered snow and ice within the first hour.

By the time we hit the summit loop we needed to put on some boot spikes for traction. Pretty icy and snowy from this point on. We encountered another group and none of them had boot spikes, they were forced to slow down quite a bit. The summit loop took awhile, maybe two hours, including a break for food and talking with our new friends up there.

The way down would have been treacherous without the boot spikes and trekking polls, basically we would have had to do alot of butt sliding. As it was, we cruised down pretty fast. Descent probably took a little over an hour. End time 3:30p.m.

Lucy W

9 Completed1 Reviews

Quick, brisk hike over the weekend (10/19), took about 4-5 hours with a break up at the top. There were clouds over the distant peaks and a beautiful open view of the lake. The switchbacks are well-paced, although it is just all incline up to the peak. I found the downhill portion between the junction and trailhead to be quite steep when coming down. This trail does not go above treeline.