Mount Rose Trail

#13 of 238 trails in Olympic National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Rose Trail is a 6.4 mile trail located near Hoodsport, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated difficult. The trail is for hiking and is accessible from April till October. Dogs are able to use this trail if on leash. Snowshoes before midmay if you really wanna make it ALL the way up

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Catherine Nicolai (341)

36 Completed14 Reviews

Hiked Mount Rose for the first time last weekend. It's Monday, and my quads are real tender. I enjoyed this hike for the challenge, but the summit views were a little disappointing--don't get me wrong, it's still a really great view. I read somewhere that Mount Rose is kind of like the middle sister of Olympic mountains. There isn't a clear summit view. The summit loop provided the best scenery! Barely any snow on the trail, no need for any special footwear because of it.

Zoe Whitbeck (106)

8 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful scenery AND a killer workout. The switchbacks up to the summit loop left my calves aching for a couple of days, so take breaks to stretch! We were the only people on the trail on a Tuesday, and had sunny weather except for an hour of snowfall approaching the summit. The vista from the ridge is astonishing, we sat for a long time just gazing off into a long distance of mountain range, and down into Lake Cushman. Bring some layers to make up for working up a sweat and then covering up to stop for the views. Whatever you do, absolutely hike this trail, and then visit Tom at Hoodsport Coffee Company on your way in or out, he is the nicest dude and they have great coffee and ice-cream!

richard anderson (69)

4 Completed4 Reviews

We started our climb at 10a.m. on New Years Eve 2014. Great climb from the start, very well maintained and marked trail. The switchbacks give you a good cardio burn if you go too fast but it's very easy to just move along at a nice smooth, methodical pace. It starts getting steep and then flattens back out a few times. We encountered snow and ice within the first hour.

By the time we hit the summit loop we needed to put on some boot spikes for traction. Pretty icy and snowy from this point on. We encountered another group and none of them had boot spikes, they were forced to slow down quite a bit. The summit loop took awhile, maybe two hours, including a break for food and talking with our new friends up there.

The way down would have been treacherous without the boot spikes and trekking polls, basically we would have had to do alot of butt sliding. As it was, we cruised down pretty fast. Descent probably took a little over an hour. End time 3:30p.m.

Lucy W (111)

9 Completed1 Reviews

Quick, brisk hike over the weekend (10/19), took about 4-5 hours with a break up at the top. There were clouds over the distant peaks and a beautiful open view of the lake. The switchbacks are well-paced, although it is just all incline up to the peak. I found the downhill portion between the junction and trailhead to be quite steep when coming down. This trail does not go above treeline.

Michael Burlin (337)

8 Completed2 Reviews

Quiet hike on a drizzly Saturday afternoon the weekend before Fourth of July. Fortunately, the clouds broke enough for us at the top to snap a few photos of the view of Lake Cushman, Hood Canal and beyond. Steep at times, but accessible overall. Highly recommended.

Molly T (97)

13 Completed2 Reviews

Hiked May 21. Trail is dry except for about a 10 ft section of snow at the top. My legs!!!

S Howe (303)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Enjoyed a snowy February hike. The trail crosses two new bridges over a forced river. We had the trail to ourselves this Sunday afternoon. The lower trail passes through a scarred but recovering area affected by the Bear Gulch fires of 2006.
Switch backs are frequent while passing from Forest Service land to the 1.8 mile mark crossing into wilderness.
We hiked into the clouds with an inch or so of snow on the trail.

S Howe (303)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Enjoyed a February winter hike. The lower trail has 2 bridges crossing over the forked river at the trailhead.

Hiking through the scarred but recovering forest you'll note fire damage from the 2006 Bear Gulch fire. For the first 3-4 switchbacks, you'll hear the robust river below.

Benches are provided on the trail. We hiked into the clouds & inch + of snow. It was otherworldly. The air was so moist, I ended up damp. My 2 liter Camelback was emptied and I shed all but my quick dry shirt for the way up.

It's a great elevation gain for the first 1.8 miles, crossing into wilderness & reaching the fork. In winter, hang right & follow the trees with the orange arrows.
Doing that trail again.

Gabriela Capestany (460)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Decided to take a new year's hike. While a little damp, the hike was great. Switchbacks seem endless until the "summit loop" sign, this is where things start getting fun. From here it is pretty much straight up. The top was very windy, but that is because I went in January. At the summit you get views of the Olympics and Lake Cushman. The ledge jetting out toward the edge is pretty freaky to stand on, but thrilling. Definetly go.

Pier Luigi Salami (362)

5 Completed2 Reviews

This is a very good, well maintained trail, climbing a very beautiful mountain.
The hike is pretty intense, long, lots of elevation gain with some very steep sections, but if you are in decent/average shape and determined to get to the top, you will not have big problems making it to the top and back.
The views from the summit are very beautiful (see pictures I posted); I strongly advice you leave in the morning, pack your lunch, and take your time eating at the very top: no restaurant can beat that view! (and the food too, if you are a good cook that is...)
My wife and I went in early October; the air was really crisp and cool, but the sun was still very hot. If you go in that season, remember to take a wind-breaking jacket with you, or you'll definitely get cold from the wind against your sweaty clothes.
Recommended, we will definitely go again!

Support