Oyster Dome Trail

#1 of 6 trails in Larrabee State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Oyster Dome Trail is a 6.5 mile out and back trail that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Dean H. (166)

Trailhead from Hwy 11 is not well marked. You want to reference the Oyster Bar restaurant which is just to the north on Hwy 11. This hike is primarily a woods hike - there were only 2 outlooks (one midway, 2nd at the top). There is minimal water along the trail - no stream to enjoy. These 2 characteristics caused me to rate the hike just "OK". Best enjoyed if you like the woods and want some exercise. At the top the view is good on a clear day. You can see Whidbey Island toward the south and the San Juan Islands straight out. When at the top (rocky ledge outlook), I recommend that you walk down to the south end of the rock clearing and scramble down ever the rock edge (there are some crevices that allow this). This allows you to see the rock wall that you are standing on at the top - it is an impressive vertical drop.

Annie B (61)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great Hike but a little more difficult than moderate. Took us about 4.5 hours up and back with about 15-20 minutes at the top. We are not in bad shape but we are older so we felt the knees coming down. If you have bad knees forget this hike. Beautiful views at the top with lots of awesome forest to enjoy. If unsure which direction while going up, keep to the left.

Lori DeJarnatt (92)

10 Completed1 Reviews

Even though the day stayed foggy and overcast it was a lovely hike through the forest. I live in the desert so I enjoyed it even more.

LINDA VALLEY (174)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Excellent hike. Moderate? Yea I guess. Tough last few miles. But the view is wonderful! Ran most of the way back down.

Mario Rivas (144)

2 Completed1 Reviews

It's a great hike, but I would say it's a little above medium as far as difficulty goes. There will be some heavy breathing right off the start. Towards the end there's a section that some may have to scramble, but still doable. It's a very popular hike, and you'll see a lot of hikers if you get a late start. On a summer day, I recommend starting early. As in 7 or 7:30am early. You'll beat the crowd and enjoy the view and silence once you reach the top, which makes it all that much better. On your descend, you'll then see EVERYONE hiking up the trail.

Spencer Nelson (57)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was more challenging than I thought... But very rewarding at the end. Get there early when it's not hot or too crowded.

Sharon Doyle (46)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Had a blast with my kids(11&13) yesterday.. First time for the three of us doing this hike. Started at the samish outlook side, will try Chuckanut side one day.

Embee Mugz (166)

8 Completed6 Reviews

Hike on this trail 6/29/2014 came early roadside parking. Challenging trail not for begginers. Awesome view. Worth the challenged!!!!

Rob Leetz (687)

27 Completed15 Reviews

I've been here a few times now as it isn't too terribly far from home. The trail starts off rather steep and after awhile becomes a little less daunting. There has been more than once where I've seen vomit off the trail within the first half mile. Really?! The trail pretty much goes something like "damn this is tough. Oh sweet, I get a break. Damn here we go again. Alright, cruise control. Oh damn, here we go." There are a few rooty, rocky, steeps sections that add some extra challenge. Overall it earns it's moderate rating. The good news...most of it is all under the cover of trees so it usually isn't too hot, but the sun is still shining through.

Joseph Meade (350)

25 Completed15 Reviews

Parking is limited along the narrow stretch of road (Chuckanut Drive) so get an early start if you can. (Before 10 AM seemed to work well for us on a Saturday.) The trail is pretty much as described in the reviews. It was not too rocky or muddy relative to other PNW trails, but it has some steep sections which give it a moderate difficulty. It is well traveled so you should expect to see others along the trail as you hike towards the Dome. There is plenty of seating on the sandstone dome to rest / relax and have lunch or a snack before taking pics and heading back down. The view is very nice and well worth the trip.

Support