Oyster Dome Trail

Bow, WA
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Oyster Dome Trail is a 6.5 mile out and back trail that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From the south, take the Larrabee State Park/Chuckanut Drive exit off of I-5 (exit 231) and drive just past the 10 mile post on Chuckanut Drive (SR 11) and park on the paved, wide place on the west shoulder. From Bellingham, take exit 250 and drive south on SR 11 about 12 miles to the paved right shoulder. There probably will be a string of parked cars, and there isn't much room, so come early. The Pacific Northwest Trailhead is on the east side of the highway.

Park on west side of the street.

Picture?width=50&height=50

1 Completed 1 Reviews

We started the trail from Chuckanut Drive. The only way we were able to see where the trail started was by the cluster of cars parked along the side of the road; it's not very well marked so keep an eye out. The trail itself was moderate (though a little rough at times) and there is a nice viewpoint maybe 1 1/2-2 miles in that gives a good taste of what you'll see at the top. The rest of the hike has a lot of uphill, but don't give up! It's not as bad as it seems, and the amazing view at the end is well worth the thigh burn.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Don't bring wife will complain most of the way tell she quits and goes and sits in the car and waits for you to finish

Urb S

6 Completed 1 Reviews

Fun hike, great view at the top, trail condition was generally good with some mud and broken woods/branches on the trail. It took us 3.5 hrs round trip

62 Completed 33 Reviews

Thursday 9/19/2013: My wife and I climbed to Oyster Dome. We arrived at the trailhead on Chuckanut Drive at 10:05. There were five cars at the small parking space. We started hiking at 10:17 and reached the first viewpoint at 10:51. We took the trail to Samish Overlook. There is a parking lot and toilets at Samish Overlook. Discover Pass is required to park. From Samish Overlook we took the Larry Reed trail and Max's shortcut and reached Oyster Dome at 1 pm. The trail was in good condition. It is mostly in the shade. The view at the summit area was great. We enjoyed the view for a while and had lunch at the summit. We started the descent at 1:43 pm and took a straight path and returned to our car by 3:26 pm. The return on Samish Bay Connector was steep and rooty.

3 Completed 1 Reviews

where's the cave??

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Started at chuckanut dr, quite a workout to get to the first lookout. Easily a moderate ride, after that it's a more tame ride to the top. The trip back down was a blast, just bring a helmet, you'll need it lol. Loose dirt, wet rocks and roots make the trip down very dangerous, so keep your speed in check.

8 Completed 2 Reviews

Icon_00d1d91319cd6d01321e58536c59592f

5 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike. Returned to the parking area on the main street to find three Lowlifes breaking into cars. They were driving an older Ford F150white diesel. We actually confronted them, took pictures and called police. Emailed pictures to the police. Don't leave valuables in your cars! This is very common occurrence in Washington. Beware

26 Completed 19 Reviews

I did the hike coming up the backside of Oyster Dome which isn't as hard, but lovely nonetheless. Absolutely beautiful hike and stunning view. I will be returning to do again many times over :)

Picture?width=50&height=50

8 Completed 4 Reviews

I hiked this on an overcast rainy day. Knowing I wouldnt get to see the grand views, I just had to cross it off my list. The hike is pretty steep at times, and only opens up with views two, maybe three times until the top. Along the way you cross about 4 or 5 streams/brooks. I will definitely do this one again...ON A CLEAR DAY!
Another note:the bat cave access trail is now closed.

Support