Oyster Dome Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 6 trails in Larrabee State Park
Oyster Dome Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bow, WA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from May until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly hiking trail running cave river views bugs muddy rocky
Hide Map

From the south, take the Larrabee State Park/Chuckanut Drive exit off of I-5 (exit 231) and drive just past the 10 mile post on Chuckanut Drive (SR 11) and park on the paved, wide place on the west shoulder. From Bellingham, take exit 250 and drive south on SR 11 about 12 miles to the paved right shoulder. There probably will be a string of parked cars, and there isn't much room, so come early. The Pacific Northwest Trailhead is on the east side of the highway.

Shawn Johnston

3 Completed3 Reviews

Hong Phan

4 Completed2 Reviews

Ankit Sharma

2 Completed2 Reviews

It was an amazing hike! At the top of the Dome, right below is the Samish Bay with the panoramic view of Vancouver Island and the Olympic Mountains. The view is totally mesmerizing. The trail was not at all crowded and nicely maintained. While coming down, we took a detour, which I would highly recommend. First, we went to Lily lake, which is not as amazing as the dome, but still worth going. Then we took the Max's shortcut (don't go by the name, it's not a shortcut). It eventually connects with the Larry Reed trail. Both of these trails are super easy, but didn't look like everyone's favorite. We only saw 2 groups the whole time. There were times, when we didn't see anyone for 20 mins and a thought of being lost crossed our mind. But it was a relief to see the first group. We saw a few snakes on the way. They were really small and looked harmless, but just be careful. This detour ends at the Samish Overlook. It somewhat has the same views as the Dome, but a little different. It is actually a Paragliding spot. We saw a few paragliders and it looked like a good place for that. There's a parking area at this Overlook, so if you are interested in paragliding and don't want to hike, you can bring your car right on the spot (you'll eventually have to hike back to get to your car, though). From here, you an take the Chuckanut trail, which will take you to the trail head. This detour is around 2 miles longer than the usual route, but is worth taking. While coming down, nobody would mind an extra few miles!

Heather Haugen

20 Completed1 Reviews

Definitely not an easy hike, not sure why it says that it is. I'd rate it more moderate, at least. Not a very good choice for my first hike of the season, but totally worth it in the end! I think the trail has been moved due to washout/trees. When I recorded it on the app, it didn't follow the trail exactly. Not sure if that's because the app map is wrong, or because the trail was moved. There is no parking lot, you have to park on the side on the road. I didn't know that at first, so I drove right past it. Otherwise, great hike with amazing views!

Leah Sipress

6 Completed6 Reviews

Not easy, moderate & rocky. A little over crowded today but the view at the top was worth the sweat!

Gilda Johnson

1 Completed1 Reviews

A great moderate trail for my family! :).

Xi Wu

Cody Scheibel

48 Completed3 Reviews

Josh Garcia

Amanda Carter

Madison Post

1 Completed1 Reviews

Started our hike around 6:30 this morning so we beat the morning crowd and had the view alone for a while. It was pretty tough for our first hike this year but it was worth it with the crystal clear skies. There was some mud in spots but easily avoidable.

Adrienna Scotty

3 Completed3 Reviews

We had a crowded hike, but that's expected at the beginning of the season on a beautiful day! The trail was muddy in several places, one or two of the inclined areas were fairly slick. The trek felt steeper and longer than the posted stats, but we could be a little rusty. Beautiful view, it was a little hazy. It's definitely worth it to stop by the Farm to Market Bakery, Rhody, or Tweets for an after-hike meal.

Aaron Anderson

1 Completed2 Reviews

Moderate trek: great for beginners looking to push it a bit or for initial shaking off the winter rust. Coming down was a bit muddy in April (as expected) and potential for a few slips... nothing common sense wouldn't have you avoid.

Romaine Romaine Bush

4 Completed4 Reviews

This hike will give you a great workout! A fantastic view at the end suffices as a reward :)

Mary Anderson

12 Completed10 Reviews

Awesome hike! Great workout! My friends and I tracked it at just under 8 miles round trip. We took the longer route with more elevation off of Chuckanut dr. If you're a newbie hiker I don't recommend starting with this one. Definitely a beautiful hike the entire way. We plan on going back to the Lily and lizard lake next time, then we will enter from the Samish side. Chuckanut adds and extra mile on to the hike and 40' more elevation per mile then the Samish Overlook side, but both trails do meet up with each other to then continue on the rest of the trail to the top. We crossed 6 or 7 small creeks along the way, never got our feet wet. Easily passable.

Elizabeth DelCastillo-Castro

5 Completed1 Reviews

Jim Christian

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful hike on a beautiful day. A little steeper than I thought, but we'll worth it. Ventured on to Lilly Lake and decided that we'd do it again. We'll set up camp and hike to the top and time lapse the sunset, then head back to camp. Can't wait !!!!

Monty Brown

2 Completed2 Reviews

It was great, busy busy .

Tracy Finley

4 Completed4 Reviews

Been coming here for years and always will be one of my favorites. It's a must do!

Sheryl Kyllo