Oyster Dome Trail

#1 of 7 trails in Larrabee State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Oyster Dome Trail is a 6.5 mile out and back trail that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jared Parker (69)

3 Completed0 Reviews

The trail has been whimpified! You use to have to pull yourself up by roots and rocks. Now they made new trails that you don't even get your hands dirty. Too many people now

Parthiban Thayalan (169)

10 Completed1 Reviews

We hiked this place in May 2015. It starts off steep and then flattens out for the most part. The last 10-15 mins was steep again and was the toughest. But all that vanishes once you reach the top and catch the breathtaking view of the surrounding islands. Took me around 1:10 to reach the summit. You'll do a lot of jogging on the way back. You could try this after you've completed a few easy hikes.

PS: Trail-head is not well marked. Ask people around. And that bar/restaurant closeby is super expensive.

Aaron Anderson (131)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is a beautiful hike, moderate intensity going up and a fun jog down. Good for all levels of experience with a few spots to rest and climb on things.

Del Vivaldo (320)

12 Completed10 Reviews

Great trail with some really nice views. Get there early as to tends to get crowded when it's a nice day. Also, Bring a bottle of wine and celebrate when you get to the top. :)

Sean Pearce (143)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Challenging trail. It start off steep and doesn't change for a good hour. I find it to be quite muddy but not horrible. I'd do it again. Great views and plenty of flat areas to catch your breath every so often.

Mark Apicella (121)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Annette Diggs (285)

16 Completed6 Reviews

There is a profound beauty here and only can be experienced first hand. I would rate the trail as moderate. There is a lot of UP and when you get close to the summit there is a steep UP. I would say, at that exact point the trail starts to get to you mentally...just keep pushing. It's worth it! This trail is do-able for beginners like me, but if you have bad knees bring some hiking poles. The summit overlook the San Juan Islands and Whidbey Island. Reading previous reviews helped with identifying the trailhead.

john davis (70)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Great hike. This was my first hike in 4 years. We went with friends who hike every weekend. They felt the trail was a moderate when compared to others. I felt it was hard as being my first time out in years. Glad they talked us into going as we plan on hitting some more trails very soon.

Jacob Fought (173)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Fairly easy with a couple switch backs and steep spots, worth the view at the end. Was a blue bird day.

Octopus V. (80)

This was a fun hike. There was a lot of UP, and the view is pretty nice. If you have some extra time, take a detour on the way down to Lily Lake. There are places to camp around the lake, but it can also be a fun place to visit. There's a little floating island in the middle of the lake, with a makeshift bridge leading up to it. (And I mean makeshift. Its a bunch of logs some people tied together). If you decide to walk across the logs, be careful--two of our party fell in on the way (friend and the dog). It was a hot gorgeous day so we went with it and swam around for awhile. A couple of other random hikers joined us. Overall, very fun experience.

Support