Oyster Dome Trail

#1 of 7 trails in Larrabee State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Oyster Dome Trail is a 6.5 mile out and back trail that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Del Vivaldo (318)

12 Completed10 Reviews

Great trail with some really nice views. Get there early as to tends to get crowded when it's a nice day. Also, Bring a bottle of wine and celebrate when you get to the top. :)

Sean Pearce (102)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Challenging trail. It start off steep and doesn't change for a good hour. I find it to be quite muddy but not horrible. I'd do it again. Great views and plenty of flat areas to catch your breath every so often.

Mark Apicella (121)

Annette Diggs (249)

8 Completed5 Reviews

There is a profound beauty here and only can be experienced first hand. I would rate the trail as moderate. There is a lot of UP and when you get close to the summit there is a steep UP. I would say, at that exact point the trail starts to get to you mentally...just keep pushing. It's worth it! This trail is do-able for beginners like me, but if you have bad knees bring some hiking poles. The summit overlook the San Juan Islands and Whidbey Island. Reading previous reviews helped with identifying the trailhead.

john davis (70)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Great hike. This was my first hike in 4 years. We went with friends who hike every weekend. They felt the trail was a moderate when compared to others. I felt it was hard as being my first time out in years. Glad they talked us into going as we plan on hitting some more trails very soon.

Jacob Fought (165)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Fairly easy with a couple switch backs and steep spots, worth the view at the end. Was a blue bird day.

Octopus V. (80)

This was a fun hike. There was a lot of UP, and the view is pretty nice. If you have some extra time, take a detour on the way down to Lily Lake. There are places to camp around the lake, but it can also be a fun place to visit. There's a little floating island in the middle of the lake, with a makeshift bridge leading up to it. (And I mean makeshift. Its a bunch of logs some people tied together). If you decide to walk across the logs, be careful--two of our party fell in on the way (friend and the dog). It was a hot gorgeous day so we went with it and swam around for awhile. A couple of other random hikers joined us. Overall, very fun experience.

Dean H. (166)

Trailhead from Hwy 11 is not well marked. You want to reference the Oyster Bar restaurant which is just to the north on Hwy 11. This hike is primarily a woods hike - there were only 2 outlooks (one midway, 2nd at the top). There is minimal water along the trail - no stream to enjoy. These 2 characteristics caused me to rate the hike just "OK". Best enjoyed if you like the woods and want some exercise. At the top the view is good on a clear day. You can see Whidbey Island toward the south and the San Juan Islands straight out. When at the top (rocky ledge outlook), I recommend that you walk down to the south end of the rock clearing and scramble down ever the rock edge (there are some crevices that allow this). This allows you to see the rock wall that you are standing on at the top - it is an impressive vertical drop.

Annie B (61)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great Hike but a little more difficult than moderate. Took us about 4.5 hours up and back with about 15-20 minutes at the top. We are not in bad shape but we are older so we felt the knees coming down. If you have bad knees forget this hike. Beautiful views at the top with lots of awesome forest to enjoy. If unsure which direction while going up, keep to the left.

Lori DeJarnatt (153)

11 Completed1 Reviews

Even though the day stayed foggy and overcast it was a lovely hike through the forest. I live in the desert so I enjoyed it even more.

Support