John Wayne Pioneer Trail (Snoqualmie Tunnel)

EASY
#16 of 151 trails in Wenatchee National Forest
true
John Wayne Pioneer Trail (Snoqualmie Tunnel) is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, WA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and road biking and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

4.8 miles 104 feet Point to Point
dog friendly hiking road biking trail running walking
Hide Map

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 54. Right off freeway, immediate left for 0.5 miles. Right following signs to Iron Horse State Park. Another immediate right, 0.1 miles to trailhead

Mike Peet

5 Completed2 Reviews

Had a lot of fun doing this trail! great walk with the dogs, but be aware the tunnel gets pretty chilly, even in the heart of the summer.

Kenneth B

18 Completed4 Reviews

Nice ride thru the tunnel. I was expecting graffiti an trash. Rode thru the tunnel and continued on the road to the Summit Pancake house for breakfast.

John St. Marie

18 Completed16 Reviews

Finally took the time to walk the tunnel. It was fun with a group. Good rainy day option.

Kevin Hodge

28 Completed14 Reviews

Visited here as part of a geocaching event in August 2015. Pretty long tunnel. Lots of people and bikes on a beautiful August day. Glad I got to experience this and the surrounding beauty.

Vladimir Popov

1 Completed1 Reviews

We had a grate experience

Sharon Borton

9 Completed5 Reviews

Awesome on a hot day!

Curt Pliler

87 Completed68 Reviews

10/18/14 (Saturday) - This is one of those things that's just fun to experience. It's also a great way to get over (or worsen) a fear of the dark. It took us around 45 minutes each way. There were quite a few hikers and bikers making the trip going westbound, but we were pretty much alone returning eastbound because we left later in the day. I climbed on top of the tunnel entrance on the west side to get some pics. It's a little tricky, but there are rebar steps on the north side that can be used to scramble up. The views to Granite Mountain are pretty good. Bring some binoculars (and a coat). The tunnel closes Nov 1st, so act quickly if you want to go. Coming here on Halloween would be perfect. Great location for a haunted house.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

Yaz Obara

124 Completed69 Reviews

Thursday 10-31-2013: My wife and I went on a spookiest hiking ever - Snoqualmie Tunnel. It is a 2.3 miles long railroad tunnel, which was decommissioned in 1980. It is now used as a cycling and walking trail (Dogs on leash are also allowed.) and a part of Iron Horse State Park John Wayne Pioneer Trail. We parked our car at Hyak parking lot. We are the only one at the parking lot. The toilets there are the best and the cleanest. The tunnel is completely dark and GPS and cell phones don't work. My wife didn't like it because it was too creepy. The only clue for your progress is the number 0 through 41 spray-painted in green on the wall. The sound of dripping water from the ceiling added more creepiness. We started walking at 10:30 and reached the other end at 11:20. We quickly turned around and returned to our car by 12:20. We didn't see anyone else while we were in the tunnel. We had lunch in our car because it was raining and cold. This was our weirdest and spookiest experience ever. It may be a nice cool hike during hot summer days.

Adam Stielstra

50 Completed46 Reviews

Not a mind blower but the river makes it worth it along with the old railroad tunnel. Easy going and good for families.
Also easy to do in off season weather.