Staircase Rapids Nature Trail

EASY
#10 of 183 trails in Olympic National Park
true
Staircase Rapids Nature Trail is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, WA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

no dogs hiking trail running walking forest river views
Hide Map

Short loop trail through forests and along a stream at the Staircase ranger station on Lake Cushman.

Chris Bush

3 Completed2 Reviews

I love this trail!! I've hike it a few times this year. This past Sunday was pretty crowded, people with dogs (NO DOGS ALLOWED!) people jumping on the suspension bridge when others were trying to cross. People throwing their packs from boulders while people were on the trail. It was an odd day that I hadn't experienced before. But I still love the trail, go during the weekday.

Heather Christy

1 Completed0 Reviews

No Dogs Allowed!! we didn't know and brought our pup along... as it turned out, we couldn't go on the trail because of it. we'll have to go back again without her.

Michael S

4 Completed1 Reviews

Russell Johnson

5 Completed4 Reviews

I thought I was great, but there is some trail maintenance required. There are fallen trees on the east side trail

Grant Reynolds

2 Completed0 Reviews

It'd be five stars if the east side of the trail didn't have so many downed trees near the bridge that crosses the Skokomish. Awesome trail though! My two and a half year old was able to walk/hike the entire loop.

Grant Reynolds

2 Completed0 Reviews

Great trail in a really cool, old-growth forest. Would have been five stars if not for the large trees and debris in areas on the east side of the trail.

JIm Flynn

2 Completed0 Reviews

Very nice with great river rapids views. Trail is well marked and easy on the feet.

Dmitry Kirilov

15 Completed15 Reviews

A very nice trail

Matt Kite

15 Completed8 Reviews

This is a short but wonderful walk in the woods. Great for children and the out-of-shape but also a worthy destination for hardcore hikers. The star attraction, believe it or not, is the forest, not the rapids (although the rapids are first-rate). We did the loop clockwise and were glad we did. Truly a magical place.

Photos and short video from our hike:

ED Vickers

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great for families with pre-teens and grandparents. Great views of the river and the mountains. The bolder climbing by the bridge is always a hit with the kids. The only down check is we can't take our dogs, but at least that means no dog poop to step in from other hikers.

Steve Mercer

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful and easy family walk in the woods. The heavy frost added to the wintery feel. Expect to see lots of people on #optoutside Friday - day after Thanksgiving. My boys loved the two smaller creek crossings best.

Leannda Casas

9 Completed5 Reviews

Beautiful walk through the woods next to some awesome rapids. Not really a hike, but still fun.

Sharon Borton

9 Completed5 Reviews

It was awesome! Easy walking trail with lots to see.

Kasey Herness

Kasey Herness

Mike Kelley

22 Completed14 Reviews

More of a nature walk then a hike but very beautiful.

Tara bolllingertara

19 Completed19 Reviews

Love it!!!

Andrew Baumgardner

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful hike. Took the family and my 4 year old was able to walk the whole thing. Great scenery for a short family hike

Christina Freeman

33 Completed21 Reviews

beautiful super short hike. dogs are not aloud on the trails here, only in the campground area. The rapids are amazing but its a very short lived trail. also the coordinates for gps on alltrails is wrong when you get to the land bridge that crosses the river go straight not left!

Tyler Burrows

6 Completed2 Reviews

i love this trail. this last weekend was my 3rd or 4th trip and I took my wife for the first time. although is was pouring the whole time we had a blast. we can't wait to go back and go further up the trail.