Staircase Rapids Trail

#9 of 238 trails in Olympic National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Short loop trail through forests and along a stream at the Staircase ranger station on Lake Cushman.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Andrew Baumgardner (48)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful hike. Took the family and my 4 year old was able to walk the whole thing. Great scenery for a short family hike

Christina Freeman (539)

33 Completed21 Reviews

beautiful super short hike. dogs are not aloud on the trails here, only in the campground area. The rapids are amazing but its a very short lived trail. also the coordinates for gps on alltrails is wrong when you get to the land bridge that crosses the river go straight not left!

Tyler Burrows (180)

6 Completed2 Reviews

i love this trail. this last weekend was my 3rd or 4th trip and I took my wife for the first time. although is was pouring the whole time we had a blast. we can't wait to go back and go further up the trail.

Douglas Nelson (101)

3 Completed3 Reviews

This is a great hike for those who are a little bit more adventurous I suggest going off trail on the rapid loop trail by the river great views with little oasis for you just keep your eyes open. Also for the backpackers there is a trail going up the mountain that you are allowed to camp along it is a 15 mile hike up

Joel Landoe (73)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Good warm up trail for flap jacks. Not much elevation gain but nice bridge view point near the rapids.

James Welch (167)

6 Completed4 Reviews

James Soethe (304)

9 Completed4 Reviews

Short trail but there is so much to see. The bridge is up now.

TIM BELL (1403)

26 Completed16 Reviews

Good hike. Weather was decent and a good day overall. Snow and the recent rain has lots of water on the trail but still good hiking conditions. We went to the bridge and continued on the Four Streams tail until it was getting to slushy to continue so we turned around and crossed the bridge and hiked on the Camp Spivey trail. It was getting difficult to walk without traction so we turned around and completed our hike. Still a great day of hiking nonetheless. Again no disappointment hiking in the NW!!

TIM BELL (1403)

26 Completed16 Reviews

We really enjoy this hike. The weather cooperated so we took our time to enjoy the scenery and hike and had the trail to ourselves the complete time. Old growth, lots of green and good photos opportunities. Saw lots of different types of mushrooms along the trail. We found a nice spot (there were many) to take a lunch break. Although short, this hike is at the top of my list.

Kevin Russell (515)