The Enchantments Trail

#1 of 394 trails in Wenatchee National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The Enchantments Trail is a 18 mile point-to-point trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible from July until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Curt Pliler (4848)

79 Completed66 Reviews

08/20/15 - We stayed at Colchuck Lake and took a day hike up Aasgard Pass to the Core Enchantments the following day to avoid climbing that beast with our full pack weight. While intimidating at first, the hike up the pass was a blast. We all really enjoyed it more than we thought we would. It took us just over 2 hours to make the climb from the south end of Colchuck Lake. Coming down took a bit longer because we were pretty spent at that time, and you have to be very careful. The proper trail is clearly marked with large cairns and you won't get lost if you always keep the next marker in sight. Once at the top I headed up to saddle pass just west of Little Annapurna. If you still have some legs after Aasgard, I highly recommend it for stunning views to the south. If you've ever driven on I-90 east of the pass and look to the north you will see the peaks surrounding The Enchantments. From the top of those peaks looking back you get a clear view of Mt Adams, Mt Rainier, and everything in between. It's a stunning vantage point. Looking north you get a view of the entire Core area. I'll post photos to lure you upward. I took a different route down thinking I would save time and had to skirt around several glaciers. DO NOT cross over them thinking they are solid ice. At this point in the season they merely form a thin bridge over rivers flowing underneath and will easily break with your weight. Eventually I made my way back to the lakes and back down the pass to camp. Put this hike on your list if it isn't already there.

Dino Norris (231)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Michael McIver (233)

6 Completed6 Reviews

One of the best experiences of my life, if you enjoy nature whatsoever you will enjoy this hike. It is a decently difficult hike, however climbing Aasgard was amazing and more motivating than any other part of the hike. The scenery, wildlife, and exhaustion are all incredibly worthwhile experiences. My hike was from Stuart Trailhead, into the core enchantments and back to Stuart. This IS doable in one day, but you must start early and have a good pace. However, enjoy some goat company along the way!

Angel K (185)

8 Completed5 Reviews

Gorgeous! Loved it.
Tough hike- i recommend preparation and pre-planning.

Ruth Howell (106)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Hans Hurn (172)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This place is terrible. There are goats and rocks everywhere. Not to mention the lakes. I don't trust water I can see through. The snow was alright, but only if you like white snow. I prefer yellow.

Katie Pope (781)

56 Completed19 Reviews

Day hiked this in 13 hours from Stuart Lake trailhead to Snow Lakes trailhead. Encountered plenty of mountain goats (including one who hiked with us for a bit), flew a flimsy kite off Aasgard Pass, and stopped to read in the lake basins, making for a lovely if foot-wearying day.

Gertrud Otzen (113)

48 Completed1 Reviews

This is an amazing trail. The lakes are unbelievably clear and beautiful. Aasgard Pass was very difficult, but it was worth the effort.

Jeffrey Wong (147)

7 Completed7 Reviews

A tough hike. Plan for it. Plans should include
1 training on hills with a loaded pack 3x/week (close to home if you can't get away),
2 dropping weight that you will NOT need, changing gear e.g. ditch the heavy 6 lb tent for something lighter like a hammock or tarp with netting (if you plan to go before September).

Water is plentiful along the trail.
Thanks to the Forest Service crowd management strategy, you'll see some people, but not crowds. Make sure you day hike to Little Annapurna. The views invigorate. Trails with grand views, Wonderful campsites. More goats than you'll ever want--I'd love to taste BBQ goat.

Regina Robinson (322)

6 Completed8 Reviews

P.S. We had a backcountry permit for 4 days, 3 nights...would definitly want it for 6 days next time, spending more time in the Alpine lakes area. Didn't like the Snow Lakes campground, we'd either stay closer to Viviane Lake or head all the way out.

Support