Ice Age National Scenic Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Lapham Peak Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

More than 600 miles of trail are completed in 30 counties across Wisconsin. The completed sections of the Ice Age Trail are connected by roadways and other temporary routes, so you can spend a day exploring a segment of the trail or thru-hike the entire length, more than 1,000 miles.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Naomi Karth (1536)

16 Completed18 Reviews

We recently vacationed in WI & our first stop was just half a mile from a trail head. Spent over 28 miles on the trail while there & loved it! We did the Hartman & Eammon creek sections, plus the Mecan River section. So beautiful & a lonely variety of terrain! Planning a section hike for 10 days on it next year!

Nikki Feldy (867)

16 Completed14 Reviews

As a kid I always enjoyed when my parents took me hiking here. The trails are super long, but that doesn't mean you have to go for a long hike, you can always turn around. There's also a nature center where you can learn about, and interact with, animals. You can even use the center's nets to catch bugs and then feed them to the fish.

Michael Barth (462)

8 Completed1 Reviews

I ran my first half marathon race on a part of this trail; the experience was satisfying enough to generate a continuing interest in trail running for me.

Syd S. (128)

This is one of my most favorite trails I've been hiking and camping along it whole entire life

Sarah Steinmetz (704)

17 Completed13 Reviews

We walked a small portion in Campbellsport at Kettle Moraine State Park.

David Knutson (107)

2 Completed2 Reviews

We have hiked several sections of the Ice Age Trail, with the Traihead 1 1/2 miles West of LaGrange General Store/BackYard Bikes, being the main focal point.

Best terrain variety is going South on trail, to where it dead ends at prox 4.25 miles. Go left, and then along the North shore of Rice lake until Cnty Rd P. North on P will soon intersect with the Trail back. North on Hi-Lo Rd also works, and gets you back to Ice Age Trail sooner.

Prox 9 mile loop with some excellent deep woods and high bluff views.

Note: This section should have it's own trail designation.

Shawn Wayne (182)

3 Completed2 Reviews

There are hundreds of trail heads for the Ice Age National Scenic Trail in Wisconsin, one is right down the street from my house. The section that I hiked recently was the trail head near Verona, WI near Badger Prairie County Park. The section near Badger Prairie is mostly mowed grass trails winding through tall prairie fields up moderate hills overlooking the city of Verona where you can see for several miles. I continued further south across Verona Ave on County Rd PB where Military Ridge State Park Trail crosses. I hiked through this area for a few miles before heading back in the other direction towards my car.

Although this trail area is not very remote and is right on the edge of a city, the wildlife is well preserved and there are vast areas of uninhabited prairie with tall grass all around. In August it was very colorful and had very diverse plant life all around. I am anxious to hike this again during the winter months to see what it is like then.

Support